Can't play an AVI file in Vista with WMP11

Old December 19th 07, 03:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Bartman

Default Can't play an AVI file in Vista with WMP11

No, I ran it as administrator. It registered fine, just didn't do anything
different for the file even after a reboot. Also under administrator it
didn't unregister fine. Either way, I was at the elevated command prompt.

Bart

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

It sounds like you are not running the command from from an elevated command
prompt.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"bartman" wrote in message
Worth a try, but it makes no difference. File still doesn't play the
video.

When I try the unistall I get an error that says, "The module
"ir50_32.dll"
was loaded but the call to dllunregisterserver failed with error code
0x8000ffff". Doesn't sound good. I have a restore point just before I
tried
this so hopefully that undoes my fix attempt properly.

I ran across this link that I tried to get information from, but got
nothing
from the company.

http://www.ligos.com/index.php/home/products/indeo/

Know anything about this?

Bart

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

I have no idea what problems it could cause. I'm always suspicious when
something is not enabled by default. It may be a performance, security,
or
who knows what issue. It may simply be someone forgot to write the code
register the file. If it does cause a problem you could easily unregister
the file with the command

regsvr32 /u ir50_32.dll

If you register the file and it doesn't work or causes a problem just run
the above command in an elevated command prompt. You may have to reboot
after registering and unregistering for it to take effect.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"bartman" wrote in message
"May cause other problems"

What might I expect and is there a way to undo it if problems arise?
don't want to blindly jump into something.

Thanks.

Bart

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

At an elevated command prompt type the following

regsvr32 ir50_32.dll

I think this is the codec you need. This should register the codec but
it
may cause other problems. There's probably a reason why it's not
enabled
by
default. To get an elevated command prompt locate Command Prompt in
All
Programs = Accessories. Right click on it and pick Run as
administrator.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

"bartman" wrote in message
Vista Home Premium and XP Professional.

Your links refer to either MPEG or Divx and my file is neither. It
is
an
uncompressed AVI file. It was not done with Divx. More Information
have
found says "Planar ATI YUV9 Indeo". Gspot says that a codec is not
required
which is obviously false since it doesn't display video in Vista.

If the proper codec is not supported in Vista is there anyway in the
existing XP system, without adding any new software, to convert it
something Vista understands and still keep it uncompressed?

Thanks.

Bart

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

You don't mention which version of Vista you have nor which version
of
XP.
Some codec's require licensing and are not included in some
versions
of
Vista or XP. One of these codec's will most likely solve your
problem.

http://www.xvid.org/

http://www.divx.com/

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...dvdcodecs.aspx

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

"John Inzer" wrote in message
bartman wrote:
This file will open and play in MS Player 10 with XP, but not in
version 11 with Vista. Gspot told me no codec was required, but
this
can't be the case. I get a black screen. I assume the audio
works,
but since these are silent files I only speculate on this since
the
time bar moves.

Vista seems to be missing the ATI YUV9 codecs, but why are they
there
in version 10 and not 11? If this is indeed the problem where
do I
get the proper codec for Vista to handle this code as reported
by
Gspot?

Any ideas would be appreciated. I need these files.

Thanks.

Bart
===========================
Maybe the following codec package
would be worth a try.

Proceed at your own risk.....

Vista Codec Package
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Vista_Code...age_d5326.html

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/695

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Old December 22nd 07, 11:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Bartman

YUV9 YUV9 Intel Corporation

I find Indeo in one place and Intel in another and I think they must be
one-in-the-same, but I still can't find the proper Vista Codec from the XP
version.

Any other suggestions?

Bart

Old December 26th 07, 07:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Bartman

I think I was able to use my old Windows 95 machine to make the file into
something that Vista understands. It might have been possible in XP as well,
but I didn't want to purchase software with it when W95 was able to see the
file just fine.

Did no one at MS think that people may want to still use video clips that
were created in older versions of Windows? I doubt the majority of users
made them so they could scrap them all when they upgrade their OS. It's
about as logical as taking photos and burning the prints when you buy a new
camera. 99.9999999% of videos people make of family and friends only happens
once and can't be recreated each time there is a new OS.

Bart

Old December 27th 07, 07:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
zachd [MSFT]

There were a number of third party codecs involved in the main Windows mix
over the years. It may or may not be possible to provide support for third
party codecs over the years.

This is a painful truth, sorry. The Lernout and Hauspie codec is probably
the worst case scenario. =\

--
Speaking for myself only.

Old December 27th 07, 03:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Bartman

I could accept that if it weren't for the fact that it worked in both W95
media player and XP media player, but stopped working in Vista. Really,
there are probably thousands of people who will ultimately lose video
memories they have made that they used to be able to play just fine.

Bart

Old December 27th 07, 03:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
JW

Default Forgot the link

Woops I forgot the link;

http://manifest-tech.com/media_pc/avi_formats.htm

news

Old December 27th 07, 04:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Bartman

That's an interesting read, but it doesn't explain away the fact that MS has
dropped codecs that worked from W95 and XP effectively destoying videos that
cannot be duplicated without a whole lot of effort to find new software to
play them in Vista.

Probably because MS didn't want to pay a license fee. So be it, but at
least give an option for the end-user to spend a few bucks and get the codecs
that are needed, and were dropped from Vista, from a reliable source.

So what does the average Joe do? Oh well, I really didn't want those video
clips from my son's birthday so screw it? Not a nice pill to swallow. It's
as if everyone, when they purchased a digital camera, burned all their old
photo albums because they were "old technology". You'd never do it.

"JW" wrote:

Woops I forgot the link;

http://manifest-tech.com/media_pc/avi_formats.htm

news

Old December 27th 07, 08:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
JW

I think you mis understood that AVI is a container(category) of individual
file types one of which is also labeled AVI. Since this is the case if the
creator of the a file type other then AVI that can be contained in the AVI
containter did not provide to Microsoft a decoder that MS could include in
Vista then that proprietary file type will not be displayed.

"JW" wrote:

Woops I forgot the link;

http://manifest-tech.com/media_pc/avi_formats.htm

news

Old December 27th 07, 09:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Bartman

No, I understand perfectly and here is a perfect example of a codec that was
licensed by MS, but then dropped by MS which left people to their own devices
to either find it or "tough luck about your video files" if they used these
in XP.

http://www.ligos.com/index.php/home/products/indeo/

So, this is ONE for sure that I had to buy too get those, but it isn't the
only ones that are missing and it is doubtful I will have the time to
research each one.

So, it isn't just a case of a third party not coming to the table. MS did
its part to exclude codecs as well even when they were available.

Bart

"JW" wrote:

Woops I forgot the link;

http://manifest-tech.com/media_pc/avi_formats.htm

"JW" wrote in message
news The following link may explain why your specific format of AVI files
will
not play.