Can't play an AVI file in Vista with WMP11

Old February 2nd 08, 05:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
TheWindowsExperiment

Default Can't play an AVI file in Vista with WMP11

This one works for me.

Get yourself the DIVX Codec package and Install it to your Hard Drive. Then
Try to play your video, it should work after that.

Make sure it's the 6.8 FREE package.
Old February 3rd 08, 04:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Joel

I installed this codecs package in winxp pro and had no ill results and
support for about every conceivable codecs except "Indeo" which I had in XP
at one point but upon updating Indeo no longer offered the codecs "free" so I
didnt get any further, I do use WMP 11 in xppro and after the vista codecs
and being unable to purchase the new Indeo drivers I thought I would have
problems but I can play every video format save for indeo, which I learned
quickly to live without, I have Vista Business on a second computer of mine,
but havent had enough experience at the keyboard to make any judgements
except all my some 60 gigs of video's that all seem to play great in vista
both on the LAN and local Vista, hope this offers some help

"John Inzer" wrote:

bartman wrote:
This file will open and play in MS Player 10 with XP, but not in
version 11 with Vista. Gspot told me no codec was required, but this
can't be the case. I get a black screen. I assume the audio works,
but since these are silent files I only speculate on this since the
time bar moves.

Vista seems to be missing the ATI YUV9 codecs, but why are they there
in version 10 and not 11? If this is indeed the problem where do I
get the proper codec for Vista to handle this code as reported by
Gspot?

Any ideas would be appreciated. I need these files.

Thanks.

Bart

===========================
Maybe the following codec package
would be worth a try.

Proceed at your own risk.....

Vista Codec Package
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Vista_Code...age_d5326.html

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/695

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Old February 6th 08, 08:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
YB

Have you found a solution? I'd like to play my video on Media player if
possible. The only other option I've found is downloading Quick Time Player.
I finally have sound on my AVI files.
Let me know if you have found any other solution.

"bartman" wrote:

It might not be magic, but it is still puzzling. Perhaps not to you, but
since this is the data on the file that I have already repeated, it is to me.

There is no error details under the content in the wmplayer.

Gspot says:

Codec is YVU9 and NO CODEC REQUIRED

That codec is some kind of raw format from ATI from what I have gathered. I
do not know where the "no codec required" is coming from since ATI clearly
requires something, but why it is strange is that the XP machine that this
file runs on perfectly has no ATI video capture card at all AND this codec is
not listed as being installed under XP so for whatever reason XP can play it
(which it shouldn't be able to do according to ATI since that machine doesn't
have their capture card) but Vista doesn't play it. Seems to me that XP has
a codec that is called something else, but it works with this file and Vista
does not.

Since I do not have time to figure out how a XP machine can play it when it
isn't supposed to and Vista cannot (yeah, I know, Vista doesn't have the
codec which gspot says isn't required anyway) I just took them to an old ATI
machine and converted them into another uncompressed format called DIB (RGB)
which is who knows what, but Vista seems to understand it and I can edit it.
I will have lost something in the conversion since it had to change formats,
but the results seem to be just about the same quality as the originals so
probably no harm done.

Bart

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

This isn't magic:
Your AVI file uses one video codec, and one audio codec.

What codecs does it use?

Those are broken or not present on your system.

This area of problem (I shall supply you a clip without indicating what
codec or tool you need to decode it) has been known for the past 13+ years
people have been using Win32. In the past content vendors would advise you
as to what codec was needed. I'm sorry that yours was not helpful in that
fashion. If you right-click on the content and select Error Details, Web
Help should likely indicate the codec that is missing. If not, GSpot Codec
tool should.

--
Speaking for myself only.
"Barry C J" wrote in message
I have similar problem - I just installed Gom Player on Vista Machine and
.avi files I have that won't work in WMP (just sound and black screen or
horrid visualizations) play perfectly.
Gom interface is better too!

Cheers
Barry

"bartman" wrote:

I could accept that if it weren't for the fact that it worked in both W95
media player and XP media player, but stopped working in Vista. Really,
there are probably thousands of people who will ultimately lose video
memories they have made that they used to be able to play just fine.

Bart

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

There were a number of third party codecs involved in the main Windows
mix
over the years. It may or may not be possible to provide support for
third
party codecs over the years.

This is a painful truth, sorry. The Lernout and Hauspie codec is
probably
the worst case scenario. =\

--
Speaking for myself only.
rights.

"bartman" wrote in message
I think I was able to use my old Windows 95 machine to make the file
into
something that Vista understands. It might have been possible in XP
as
well,
but I didn't want to purchase software with it when W95 was able to
see
the
file just fine.

Did no one at MS think that people may want to still use video clips
that
were created in older versions of Windows? I doubt the majority of
users
made them so they could scrap them all when they upgrade their OS.
It's
about as logical as taking photos and burning the prints when you buy
new
camera. 99.9999999% of videos people make of family and friends only
happens
once and can't be recreated each time there is a new OS.

Bart

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

It sounds like you are not running the command from from an elevated
command
prompt.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"bartman" wrote in message
Worth a try, but it makes no difference. File still doesn't play
the
video.

When I try the unistall I get an error that says, "The module
"ir50_32.dll"
was loaded but the call to dllunregisterserver failed with error
code
0x8000ffff". Doesn't sound good. I have a restore point just
before I
tried
this so hopefully that undoes my fix attempt properly.

I ran across this link that I tried to get information from, but
got
nothing
from the company.

http://www.ligos.com/index.php/home/products/indeo/

Know anything about this?

Bart

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

I have no idea what problems it could cause. I'm always
suspicious
when
something is not enabled by default. It may be a performance,
security,
or
who knows what issue. It may simply be someone forgot to write
the
code
register the file. If it does cause a problem you could easily
unregister
the file with the command

regsvr32 /u ir50_32.dll

If you register the file and it doesn't work or causes a problem
just
run
the above command in an elevated command prompt. You may have to
reboot
after registering and unregistering for it to take effect.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"bartman" wrote in message
"May cause other problems"

What might I expect and is there a way to undo it if problems
arise?
don't want to blindly jump into something.

Thanks.

Bart

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

At an elevated command prompt type the following

regsvr32 ir50_32.dll

I think this is the codec you need. This should register the
codec
but
it
may cause other problems. There's probably a reason why it's
not
enabled
by
default. To get an elevated command prompt locate Command
Prompt in
All
Programs = Accessories. Right click on it and pick Run as
administrator.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

"bartman" wrote in message
Vista Home Premium and XP Professional.

Your links refer to either MPEG or Divx and my file is
neither.
It
is
an
uncompressed AVI file. It was not done with Divx. More
Information
have
found says "Planar ATI YUV9 Indeo". Gspot says that a codec
is
not
required
which is obviously false since it doesn't display video in
Vista.

If the proper codec is not supported in Vista is there
anyway in
the
existing XP system, without adding any new software, to
convert
it
something Vista understands and still keep it uncompressed?

Thanks.

Bart

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

You don't mention which version of Vista you have nor which
version
of
XP.
Some codec's require licensing and are not included in some
versions
of
Vista or XP. One of these codec's will most likely solve
your
problem.

http://www.xvid.org/

http://www.divx.com/

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...dvdcodecs.aspx

Old February 7th 08, 08:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
zachd [MSFT]

Is your problem sound or video? What specific codec are you having trouble
with?

--
Speaking for myself only.

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

There were a number of third party codecs involved in the main
Windows
mix
over the years. It may or may not be possible to provide support
for
third
party codecs over the years.

This is a painful truth, sorry. The Lernout and Hauspie codec is
probably
the worst case scenario. =\

--
Speaking for myself only.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no
rights.

Old February 7th 08, 03:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Archie

Why isnt this a good idea? And how do you recode video files?

"iamnotsunshine" wrote:

don't any of you know how to recode your video files? this would seem a lot
easyer? can't you load it in the XP movie maker and save it as a .WMA? there
is other software out there, but this would keep you in the safe world of
MS.. LOL.. as for Codec's download on of the big packs from

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Vista_Code...age_d5326.html or
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...ec_Package.htm

I watch all types of video! I haven't had any problems... But I still wish i
would have passed on the
Vista Ultimate ..

"bartman" wrote in message
I think I was able to use my old Windows 95 machine to make the file into
something that Vista understands. It might have been possible in XP as
well,
but I didn't want to purchase software with it when W95 was able to see
the
file just fine.

Did no one at MS think that people may want to still use video clips that
were created in older versions of Windows? I doubt the majority of users
made them so they could scrap them all when they upgrade their OS. It's
about as logical as taking photos and burning the prints when you buy a

Old February 9th 08, 02:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Bartman

No. I resorted to using a W95 machine with an ATI video card to render the
video into some odd format that Vista seems to recognize so it will play in
WMP11.

The problem seems to be ATI related and something about their codecs.
Unless you have an ATI card they won't work. Your issue is probably
different.

Bart