Can't play an AVI file in Vista with WMP11

Old December 18th 07, 01:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Bartman

Default Can't play an AVI file in Vista with WMP11

This file will open and play in MS Player 10 with XP, but not in version 11
with Vista. Gspot told me no codec was required, but this can't be the case.
I get a black screen. I assume the audio works, but since these are silent
files I only speculate on this since the time bar moves.

Vista seems to be missing the ATI YUV9 codecs, but why are they there in
version 10 and not 11? If this is indeed the problem where do I get the
proper codec for Vista to handle this code as reported by Gspot?

Any ideas would be appreciated. I need these files.

Thanks.

Bart

Old December 18th 07, 03:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
John Inzer

bartman wrote:
This file will open and play in MS Player 10 with XP, but not in
version 11 with Vista. Gspot told me no codec was required, but this
can't be the case. I get a black screen. I assume the audio works,
but since these are silent files I only speculate on this since the
time bar moves.

Vista seems to be missing the ATI YUV9 codecs, but why are they there
in version 10 and not 11? If this is indeed the problem where do I
get the proper codec for Vista to handle this code as reported by
Gspot?

Any ideas would be appreciated. I need these files.

Thanks.

Bart

===========================
Maybe the following codec package
would be worth a try.

Proceed at your own risk.....

Vista Codec Package
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Vista_Code...age_d5326.html

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/695

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Old December 18th 07, 12:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Bartman

Hmm, that looks like a disaster waiting to happen. I'd rather get just the
proper codec and not a wad of them. I'd also like to know why the heck it
works fine in XP, but not in Vista.

Bart

Old December 18th 07, 02:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Kerry Brown

You don't mention which version of Vista you have nor which version of XP.
Some codec's require licensing and are not included in some versions of
Vista or XP. One of these codec's will most likely solve your problem.

http://www.xvid.org/

http://www.divx.com/

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...dvdcodecs.aspx

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Old December 18th 07, 03:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Bartman

Vista Home Premium and XP Professional.

Your links refer to either MPEG or Divx and my file is neither. It is an
uncompressed AVI file. It was not done with Divx. More Information I have
found says "Planar ATI YUV9 Indeo". Gspot says that a codec is not required
which is obviously false since it doesn't display video in Vista.

If the proper codec is not supported in Vista is there anyway in the
existing XP system, without adding any new software, to convert it to
something Vista understands and still keep it uncompressed?

Thanks.

Bart

Old December 18th 07, 04:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Kerry Brown

At an elevated command prompt type the following

regsvr32 ir50_32.dll

I think this is the codec you need. This should register the codec but it
may cause other problems. There's probably a reason why it's not enabled by
default. To get an elevated command prompt locate Command Prompt in All
Programs = Accessories. Right click on it and pick Run as administrator.

Old December 18th 07, 05:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Bartman

"May cause other problems"

What might I expect and is there a way to undo it if problems arise? I
don't want to blindly jump into something.

Thanks.

Bart

Old December 18th 07, 07:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Kerry Brown

I have no idea what problems it could cause. I'm always suspicious when
something is not enabled by default. It may be a performance, security, or
who knows what issue. It may simply be someone forgot to write the code
register the file. If it does cause a problem you could easily unregister
the file with the command

regsvr32 /u ir50_32.dll

If you register the file and it doesn't work or causes a problem just run
the above command in an elevated command prompt. You may have to reboot
after registering and unregistering for it to take effect.

Old December 19th 07, 03:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Bartman

Worth a try, but it makes no difference. File still doesn't play the video.

When I try the unistall I get an error that says, "The module "ir50_32.dll"
was loaded but the call to dllunregisterserver failed with error code
0x8000ffff". Doesn't sound good. I have a restore point just before I tried
this so hopefully that undoes my fix attempt properly.

I ran across this link that I tried to get information from, but got nothing
from the company.

http://www.ligos.com/index.php/home/products/indeo/

Know anything about this?

Bart

Old December 19th 07, 03:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Kerry Brown

It sounds like you are not running the command from from an elevated command
prompt.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User