Old September 29th 11, 05:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
barrowhill[_2_]

Default Slow Vista.

Have friends desktop PC to cleanup whilst he's away on holiday. Job done
with much improvement in performance. However I've noticed one thing that
bugs me a bit which I haven't been able to resolve.

Startup time to Account Screen is 30 seconds. From password entry to
visible desktop and icons is approx 10 seconds but, and this is what is
bugging me, it takes a further 95 seconds before network access becomes
available. During that period I can't do anything.

The PC is a Dell Inspiron 530S running Intel Dual Core E6550 at 2.33Ghz with
2Gbyte RAM. I've shutdown all start up programs that are not needed. The
only two running are Microsoft Windows Operating System (ehtray.exe) and
McAfee Security Centre.

I suspect something to do with McAfee; not my favorite AV/Firewall package.
I turned off real-time scanning, which improved shutdown from 30 seconds to
15 seconds. but this is automatically restarted on reboot and another 95
seconds elapsed before internet access available. Appreciate any comment
others may have and whether "time to network" can be improved.