Blu-Ray

Old December 19th 07, 11:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Craig008

Default Blu-Ray

i have just got me a nice new blu-ray drive for my vista ultimate machine,
but all the software i have does not play blu-ray discs for some reason when
nero 8 should. what software should i be using does it have to be 3rd party.
so u know my machine happily plays HD vids downloaded from PSN but they are
in mp4 format - any help is much appreciated
--
grapes
Old December 22nd 07, 08:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dustin Harper

PowerDVD plays Blu-Ray fine.

Of course, your video card would need to support the HDCP copy
protection scheme to play them, as well. Make sure your video card has
the most recent drivers, as well.

Here is a page for system requirements to play Blu-Ray with copy
protection: http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads-nero8-trial.php

--
Dustin Harper

http://www.vistarip.com

Old January 5th 08, 12:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Grae

Craig

Congratulations, I've been going thru hell with Vista Ultimate 64bit and
playing HD-DVDs for over 6 months now. Initially the problem related to my
Realtek 850 chipset on the motherboard not supporting spdif passthru under
Vista64, so I only got stereo sound. An X-fi card sorted that out, and I
had hd-dvd playback with picture and DD sound for about a month.

Now, Nero8 stops immediately I click play ie just doesn't start, with no
explanation. Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra worked for about a month, but now
starts and immediately stops with an error message telling me my Asus
en8800gts videocard hardware or driver is not hd-dvd capable. Initially I
blamed an update from Cyberlink for creating the problem, but since Nero8
reacts similarly I'm assuming its down to Nvidia or Microsoft. I'm
including Microsoft now, because working my way back thru the last 4 Nvidia
graphics drivers hasn't turned up one that works anymore.

Fortunately, I can dual-boot the system, and both Nero8 and Powerdvd Ultra
work beautifully. Personally I prefer Powerdvd Ultra, but if you've got
Nero8 go with it.

HAVING TO KEEP XP ON THE MACHINE, ESSENTIALLY JUST TO PLAY HD-DVDs TRUELY
STINKS!

Graeme