Old March 23rd 12, 10:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Orson Cart

Default presentationfontcache.exe - why suddenly becomes a hog?

This stupid service uses 99% of one CPU. Okay if you have 12-core
Opteron, but **** if you only got a dual-core.
I looked it up in a few forums, and found how to stop this.
So some might be satisfied with that, but....
... it also affects Win7, so seems like some sort of bug that
Microsoft hasn't patched.
Moreover, I did not install .NET 3. I have a pretty much barebones
Vista install, and I really wonder why it suddenly starts hogging
CPU time a month after I installed any application.
So I presumed some sort of hidden automatic update has triggered
this. I don't have any cracked programs or dodgy free screensavers
or Twitbook browser toolbars or any such malware conduits on this PC.