Old March 21st 15, 09:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
VanguardLH[_2_]

Default Interesting uninstall problem with old software

Ken Springer wrote:

VanguardLH wrote:

In the past, there were times when the only way I could uninstall a
program was to install it and then do the uninstall. Nowadays I usually
do the registry and file cleanup myself (after saving a backup).

That's a good idea. If I can find the program here, I might try this.
The only place I think you can find the program now is on C/Net, and I'd
rather not get it from there.

I tend to get software from softpepdia.com to eliminate the wrapper that
CNet puts on some downloads. The only problem I've run into at
Softpedia is knowing which download link to click as they mix in their
ads with their download buttons with the one for the program you wanted;
however, after using ad blocking, those misleading download buttons
disappeared.

Sometimes at either download.com or softpedia.com they will have a link
to the author's/owner's web site. I go there to get the program
directly from there. Alas, many sites will direct you back to Cnet,
brothersoft, or some other download repository so they don't have to
manage the bandwidth.

Another option is to see if the free version of Revo Uninstaller would
get rid of the program (if they included it in their database included
with the program).

As I mentioned to Stormin' Norman, I'm certainly not adverse to
reinstalling Vista, since it' just a learning box for me, I use it for
nothing.

Revo doesn't have you reinstalling Windows. Their database is a
hardcoded list of known registry entries and files for the programs they
know about so they know what to remove. If doing the manual remnant
cleanup of the registry and files is beyond you or you want a quick stab
at the cleanup then Revo Uninstaller might work. They have a free
version you can try. The payware version includes a monitor so it can
see what changes were made to know what to remove later. The freeware
doesn't have the real-time monitor but it still has the database of
hardcoded expertise that might help remove the stubborn program.