Old April 10th 16, 07:14 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
B00ze

Default Is root directory a protected data area?

On 2016-04-10 13:48, Micky wrote:

Is the root directory of the windows/system drive a protected area in
Vista or Win7?

Only if UAC is enabled, then all you can do on the root of C:\ is to
create folders (not files). If UAC is turned off, or if you log on using
the built-in Administrator account, then you can create files in the root.

Thanks for the quick response. That's what I thought but I couldn't
find it on the web. I only found that one list which was apparently
wrong.

So, if you were me and you had UAC turned off, would you put backup
logs in your root directory, as I used to do, or for any reason would
you not? One conceivable reason: Would you allow for some unlikely
time in the future when I turned UAC on again and then lost my first
set of logs afterwards, and maybe was so confused I didn't know why?

Why not put them in a folder, this way all your logs are neatly stored
in one place? I have UAC disabled (it's useless) but I still use folders
to keep things on C:\ - As a general rule I don't put files in the root
of any drive; in the FAT days there was a limit to how many files you
could store in the root, but no limit inside folders...

Regards,

--
! _\|/_ Sylvain /
! (o o) Memberavid-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society-