Old April 10th 16, 07:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Kerr Mudd-John

Default datastore\datastore.edb

On Sat, 09 Apr 2016 22:16:05 +0100, VanguardLH wrote:

[]

I enable the BITS and WU services only after I have prepared to do
Windows updating: gotten some time reserved, made a full backup image,
poll for the available update and wait ... and wait ... and wait, review
*EACH* update before allowing it (hiding the unwanted or nonapplicable
ones), reboot even if not told to do so, and disable the BITS and WU
services. When those services are disabled, there is no Windows
updating going on, not even to poll for new ones.

I use the following batch files:

[]

[This is for XP]

Here's my wupdate.bat (I have the services off most of the time)

@echo off
sc config msiserver start= demand
sc config wuauserv start= auto
sc config BITS start= auto

ping -n 1 -w 10 127.0.0.1 nul

net start msiserver
net start BITS
net start wuauserv

echo Select Custom, scrap .net and malicious sw
"C:\program files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu....aspx?ln=en-us
pause

net stop wuauserv
net stop BITS