Old April 11th 16, 07:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Kerr Mudd-John

Default datastore\datastore.edb

On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 21:23:59 +0100, VanguardLH wrote:

Kerr Mudd-John wrote:

VanguardLH wrote:

I enable the BITS and WU services only after I have prepared to do
Windows updating: gotten some time reserved, made a full backup image,
poll for the available update and wait ... and wait ... and wait,
review
*EACH* update before allowing it (hiding the unwanted or nonapplicable
ones), reboot even if not told to do so, and disable the BITS and WU
services. When those services are disabled, there is no Windows
updating going on, not even to poll for new ones.

[This is for XP]

Here's my wupdate.bat (I have the services off most of the time)

@echo off
sc config msiserver start= demand
visit WU site
net stop msiserver
sc config msiserver start= disabled

MSI (Microsoft Installer) is used by most programs that install into
Windows. I only addressed disabling the *Windows updates* services
until I was prepared (time, backup, research, select, install). I would
NOT suggest disabling the Windows Installer service because that means
you cannot install most programs.

Windows Installer service:
"Adds, modifies, and removes applications provided as a Windows
Installer (*.msi) package. If this service is disabled, any services
that explicitly depend on it will fail to start."

Windows Installer
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...=vs.85%29.aspx

Just because I want to install new software or an update to it does NOT
mean that I want to enable Windows Updates (BITS and WU) to do that
software install. Just because I am blocking Windows updates does NOT
mean that I want to block software installs.

MSIexec also checks for updates when run. If I want to install something I
disable the internet then enable MSIserver , do the install then disable
afterwards. As I said I have services off if I don't need/want them.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug