Old April 13th 16, 06:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Kerr Mudd-John

Default datastore\datastore.edb

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 22:42:11 +0100, VanguardLH wrote:

Kerr Mudd-John wrote:

MSIexec also checks for updates when run. If I want to install
something I
disable the internet then enable MSIserver , do the install then disable
afterwards. As I said I have services off if I don't need/want them.

I know about the /p switch to *apply* an update package (for example,
"msiexec.exe /p pkg.msi"), not to retrieve an update package (the .msi
file). I have never heard that MSIexec can connect to and use WSUS
(Windows Server Update Services). Applying an update is not the same as
retrieving it. Do you have supportive evidence that it can retrieve
(download) an update package?

I recall a message to the effect that a newer version was available; back
when 3.0 superceded 2.0.
I'm posting from the XP NG.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...=ws.10%29.aspx
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/use...e/msiexec.html

Yes, an installer can go check for updates. That is not MSIexec
connecting to a server to figure out where to find a file and determine
versioning. That is code the programmer added to the installer program.
It would check for updates to the software you CHOSE to install.
Nothing to do with Windows updating.

http://www.advancedinstaller.com/upd...reen-shot.html
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/use...date-page.html

--