Forcing programs to run with standard user privileges

Old December 21st 07, 01:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
ainkami

Default Forcing programs to run with standard user privileges

How do I prevent Vista from asking for privilege escalation, and just
force a program to run with standard user privileges? Are there any
ways within Vista that will allow this? If not, I have heard that
editing the RunAsInvoker value associated with the .exe file will
accomplish this. Are there any programs out there that can do so?

--
ainkami
Old December 21st 07, 01:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Bruce Chambers

ainkami wrote:
How do I prevent Vista from asking for privilege escalation, and just
force a program to run with standard user privileges? Are there any
ways within Vista that will allow this?

Not if you must use applications that have not been properly designed
for the OS. Fully compatible applications would not need elevated
privileges to run.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Old December 21st 07, 01:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
brink[_2437_]

ainkami;550442 Wrote:
How do I prevent Vista from asking for privilege escalation, and just
force a program to run with standard user privileges? Are there any ways
within Vista that will allow this? If not, I have heard that editing the
RunAsInvoker value associated with the .exe file will accomplish this.
Are there any programs out there that can do so?

Hi Ainkami,

If the program needs administrator privileges to run, it will not run
properly without them. You can do one of these options to get rid of the
UAC prompt though.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/80...ege-level.html

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/48...ntrol-uac.html

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...r-account.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
brink

VISTA FORUMS X64 (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM/\")
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Old December 22nd 07, 12:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jimmy Brush

Like everyone else says, the chances of a program working as a standard user
when it is designed to run as an admin is slim.

I am not aware of a program that automates the "runasinvoker" process.

Registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

Create a string value with a name equal to the path and filename of the
program (e.g. c:\program files\program\program.exe), and a value of
RUNASINVOKER.

--
- JB
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Old February 13th 08, 09:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Chris Barnes

brink wrote:
ainkami;550442 Wrote:
How do I prevent Vista from asking for privilege escalation, and just
force a program to run with standard user privileges? Are there any ways
within Vista that will allow this? If not, I have heard that editing the
RunAsInvoker value associated with the .exe file will accomplish this.
Are there any programs out there that can do so?

Hi Ainkami,

If the program needs administrator privileges to run, it will not run
properly without them. You can do one of these options to get rid of the
UAC prompt though.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/80...ege-level.html

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/48...ntrol-uac.html

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...r-account.html

I know I'm replying to a 2 month old post....

These directions where only "sort of" helpful. Yes, it shows me how to
get Vista to run the program as Administrator.

But then it prompts for the Administrator password. This is bad.

I want to be able to allow my students to run a particular program (a
program that in my case controls an oscilloscope) that seems to need to
run as Administrator. Their accounts are all "normal" accounts (no
Admin privs). I do *not* want to give them the Administrator/root
password (for obvious reasons).

What I need is a way to run the program as Administrator, without having
Vista ask me for the Administrator password.

SURELY there has to be a way to do this, isn't there. After all, "chmod
4711" has been around in the unix world for 30+ years (meaning this
isn't exactly a new concept)....

--

Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes
Old February 16th 08, 06:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Barry Haertel

Would it maybe be possible to get the machines off the network and setup an
admin user for this purpose?