"Standard TCP/IP port" gone missing

Old December 21st 07, 02:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
janbon

Default "Standard TCP/IP port" gone missing

Hi,

I have two Vista boxes experiencing the same problem. They were both
configured to print using the "standard TCP/IP port" and it worked
beautifully. Now, all of a sudden the printers on both machines appeared
offline, and the "standard TCP/IP port" was missing and could not be added.
It simply is not on the list anymore. I have checked the registry, and
standard tcp/ip is still listed under print monitors.

I checked the web and found someone else with the same problem, indicating
a windows patch may have caused this. My machine is fully patched, so that is
not impossible, I just dont want to go through having to uninstall them one
by one.
http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/M..._23024015.html

Any advice?
Old January 7th 08, 04:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Did you find a solution?

Standard TCP/IP Port uses 3 files. Verify the files exist in
\windows\system32

tcpmon.dll
tcpmib.dll
tcpmonui.dll

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

news

Old January 7th 08, 05:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alpw

Hi guys,

Maybe this is all part of the same thing, but here's how my vista
system behaves.
Trying to add network-attached printer
Installed Samsung drivers fine,
Cannot add TCP/IP port to print from,
Made sure firewall disabled 'just in case'
Behaviour: Aha! Vista cannot ping printer. But Vista Can ping router
Vista responds to pings from other systems, but cannot ping them either
(same as the printer) Other systems ping printer fine.

So while firewall is *supposedly* off (btw, there are two firewalls,
Win and Livecare), it seems that somewhere in its heart of hearts (I
would use the term Hairball, but Alan seems like a good guy trying to
help, so I won't gratuitously slag his employer!)
Anyhow, hope these add'l datapoints help.
Cheers,

--
Alpw
Old January 7th 08, 08:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alpw[_2_]

Hi Alan,

FYI, as you seem to be the busy troubleshooter here
is one answer that may help you out

My 'asymmetrical' pinging problem, where I couldn't create a TCP/IP
port for my printer, turned out to be some Norton stuff that I didn't
even install! I was busy turning off the LiveCare firewall and playing
with settings.... Security in the control panel indicated some Norton
products running as well- I didn't even have Norton program folders or
anything. Went and got the Norton Removal tool from their website and it
got rid of that stuff. Maybe that was part of the OEM install, but it's
not at all obvious that Norton is installed, so oddball problems it's
worth a try to start with NRT.
Cheers,

--
Alpw
Old January 8th 08, 01:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

thanks for the update.

And I am a good guy, just trying to help.

Old January 14th 08, 12:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
janbon

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your time, but unfortunately I still have the problem on both
boxes. It is really strange because this was configured and working ever
since I installed Vista, and then all of sudden one day the printer was
offline, and the standard tcp/ip port was missing, It cannot be added from
the list of available ports. I have checked the files you mention as well as
the registy entries required.

Any other advice would be welcome.

Greetings form a former blue badge

Jan

Old January 18th 08, 05:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

If the keys are there the spooler should initalize them when starting and
display the port monitor in the UI.

If the base keys look okay, delete the key for the port(s) that should exist
(write down or export the key data for the port), then stop and start the
spooler. Check if the Standard TCP/IP port gets enumerated and it is listed
by Add Printer (or use printmanagement.msc, a more superior than the shell
UI component).

I am always busy but I am alanmo.

the three files you need still exist in system32 (
tcpmon.dll,tcpmib.dll, and tcpmonui.dll ) you can edit your registry
entry and add the monitor

back (cleanspl basically just deletes the reg entries ).

If you have any Win2k or greater system handy you can export the
Standard
TCP/IP Port key and import to the other machine. Even if you do not
export
this key if you can look at this key for guidance when adding back the
entry
it is helpful.
stop and start spooler

if not, locate
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Monitor\

Add key
Standard TCP/IP Port
Add String Value; value name=Driver; value data=tcpmon.dll

under Standard TCP/IP Port
Add Key
Ports
Add three Dwords in Ports (I am listing the value data in

decimal)
LprAckTimeout value data= 180
StatusUpdateEnabled value data= 1
StatusUpdateInterval value data= 10

stop and start spooler

--

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

Did you find a solution?

Standard TCP/IP Port uses 3 files. Verify the files exist in
\windows\system32

tcpmon.dll
tcpmib.dll
tcpmonui.dll