4 gigs ram B.S.O.D.

Old December 21st 07, 08:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
andy6432668

Default 4 gigs ram B.S.O.D.

I got a dell inspiron 531 came with 2 gigs of memory running vista 64
bit. I installed 2 gigs total of 4 gigs got b.s.o.d. upon startup so I
startup in safe mode there it shows 4 gigs tried again to boot in normal
desktop same bsod. I removed 1 stick leaving 3 gigs now boots and runs
fine what's up with vista and 4 gigs of ram ?

--
andy6432668
Old December 21st 07, 10:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

See the following KB article for assistance:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us

Old December 22nd 07, 10:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
SimRacer

If it only gives you the blue screen with 4 in and works fine with 3 in then
its most likely bad ram. You can download a Memtest and burn that to disk and
run the program. Its a DOS based program so your system needs to be set to
boot from cd as first boot device. Test the memory one at a time to find out
if any of it is bad.

http://www.memtest.org/

Thats the link to memtest, its free and a much better testing program then
Microsofts memory tester. Run the test and let it repeat at least a couple of
times.

Old December 24th 07, 05:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst

I don't think it is bad ram. More likely it is the often reported problem
of a BSOD when all four memory slots have 1GB dimms. It is a known issue
with nVidia chipsets on some boards and there is a patch. It can also be
due to memory voltage settings. The stock settings in the BIOS can
sometimes be reduced slightly to resolve the issue. He should check the
forums on the mobo manufacturer's website to get some tips.

Old December 25th 07, 03:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst

Just the hardware ng. I have no interest in the trolls in the general ng.
Also, I had some health issues.

Old January 10th 08, 06:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
[email protected]

On Dec 21 2007, 3:00 pm, andy6432668 andy6432668.31y...@no-
mx.forums.net wrote:
I got a dell inspiron 531 came with 2 gigs of memory running vista 64
bit. I installed 2 gigs total of 4 gigs got b.s.o.d. upon startup so I
startup in safe mode there it shows 4 gigs tried again to boot in normal
desktop same bsod. I removed 1 stick leaving 3 gigs now boots and runs
fine what's up with vista and 4 gigs of ram ?

--
andy6432668

Ok, I got the same computer and the same problem. Except when I
started in safe mode it show 3.5 gigs of ram when I had 4 installed.
Also, in the chipset it showed that I had 4 gigs installed. So the
computer is seeing it and it is not a problem with the computer. The
guy from dell said that it was probably vista that was having trouble
seeing it. So I think that we can probably put a 512 stick in and run
with 3.5 gigs until vista figures this out, if they do, and fixes it.
Old January 10th 08, 06:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
[email protected]

"andy6432668" wrote:

I got a dell inspiron 531 came with 2 gigs of memory running vista 64
bit. I installed 2 gigs total of 4 gigs got b.s.o.d. upon startup so I
startup in safe mode there it shows 4 gigs tried again to boot in normal
desktop same bsod. I removed 1 stick leaving 3 gigs now boots and runs
fine what's up with vista and 4 gigs of ram ?

--
andy6432668

Its not bad ram. Its Vista. With the inspiron 531 you probably can
only run 3 gigs with vista. But the ram is fine.