Email and Windows Vista All issues relating to email and email software using Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)

WinMail.exe "Windows Mail could not be started"

Old April 4th 08, 01:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Gary VanderMolen

Default WinMail.exe "Windows Mail could not be started"

Thanks for you report. However, that "WinMail.exe" mentioned in
this thread is part of Windows Mail, not Windows Live Mail.
Unlike WLM, Windows Mail cannot be repaired from the Control Panel.
--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (WLMail)

wrote in message ...
Hello,

It happened to me, I got error 0x800C0155,2. I had just installed
Adobe products and it asked me to close messenger. Window Live mail
was still open and running in the background. The installation of the
new software must have corrupted the Windows live mail program.

I ran a repair from the control pannel on Windows Live Mail, and its
all fixed.

Old November 10th 08, 12:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
tyleruknow

"MacEachern" wrote:

After many months of reliable service, I have just started receiving the
following message whenever I try to start Windows Mail:

"Windows Mail could not be started. The application was unable to open the
Windows Mail message store. Your Windows Mail mailbox data is currently
being used by another program, such as a virus scanner. Close the program or
wait for it to complete its operation, then open Windows Mail again.
(0x800C0155,2)"

If I select "OK", I get the following message:

"Windows Mail could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be initialized."

I have read through many of the posts already and so far have tried the
following:

- removing any anti-virus and anti-spam software, restarting and trying to
launch Windows Mail - no success.

- after re-installing the anti-spam and anti-virus software, I made sure
that the "scan incoming email messages and attachements" function was turned
off - no success.

Other indicators include the fact that I can no longer use my MS Messanger
program. When I try to launch it, the following message appears, "Signing in
to Windows Live Messenger failed because the service is temporarily
unavailable. Please try again later. Error Code: 80070005". - When I
select "Help", the MS site indicates that there is no problem.

All of these problems started after I tried to establish file sharing
between my laptop (the problemed computer) and my desktop.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
MacEachern

Old November 10th 08, 12:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
tyleruknow[_2_]

i have the same problem. oi have a dell inspron 1420 and it uses windows
vista. i have norton 360 and CCleaner on my computer. everytime i turn it on
i get that message about the virus scan. i dont know what i should do its my
only e-mail account

Old November 10th 08, 03:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Gary VanderMolen

Norton antivirus is among the top three troublemakers for Windows Mail.
Symptoms often don't surface until several months have gone by, or
until an update occurs.
First, be sure to disable its email scanning. If that does not cure the
problem, do a trial uninstall, followed by using their debris removal tool:
http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039

Instead of uninstalling your antivirus, another option is to upgrade to
Windows Live Mail, which is more resistant to the adverse effects of overly
intrusive antivirus products: http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

In any case you must disable antivirus email scanning, for the reason
explained he
http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

Old April 26th 09, 02:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Sander

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

It sounds like some critical Vista files are corrupted. Your only
remaining options are

a) Do a repair install of Vista:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html

or
b) Try a different email program like Outlook ($), or the free Mozilla
Thunderbird: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/
--
Gary VanderMolen [MS-MVP WLM]

"MacEachern" wrote in message ...
OK, I tried installing Windows Live Mail and get a similar error message:

"Windows Live Mail could not be started. It may not be installed correctly.
Make sure that your disk is not full or that you are not out of memory.
(0x80041161)"

followed by

"Windows Live Mail could not be started because msmail.dll could not be
initialized. Windows Live Mail may not be installed correctly."

??????

--
MacEachern

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

I don't know whether installing Windows Live Mail will recover your
missing emails, but it is certainly worth a try. It can't hurt anything.

--
Gary VanderMolen [MS-MVP WLM]

"MacEachern" wrote in message ...
Gary,

I did try running both programs (Windows Mail & Windows Live Messenger) when
the Third Party software (Sympatico Security Manager) were uninstalled.

Is it significant that I am already using Windows Live Messanger (poor
choice of words in my first post)? Additionally, have I lost all of my
emails, email rules, etc? Will they be recovered with an upgrade to Windows
Live Mail?

--
MacEachern

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

The error message reported by Windows Mail is not related to
enabling file sharing on your local network. It is more indicative of
interference from a security program.

Did you try Windows Mail while all your third party security software
was uninstalled? McAfee and Norton antivirus are particularly prone
to causing problems with Windows Mail, even with their email
scanning feature turned off.

If all else fails, I recommend you upgrade to Windows Live Mail.
When you download it, there is also an option to upgrade to
Windows Live Messenger. The Live programs are optimized to
work well with each other.

Old April 26th 09, 03:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Sander

I am trying to make Windows Mail work firsttime after many months of owning
the new Vista-PC and after reliably using outlook on Windows-2000 for about
10 years - which is outdated now.

Windows Mail generates this error:
1. Windows Mail could not be started. The application was unable to open the
Windows Mail message store. Your Windows Mail mailbox data is currently being
used by another program, such as a virus scanner. Close the program or wait
for it to complete its operation, then open Windows Mail again (0x800C0155,
2). After accepting OK, I got the second message:
2. Windows Mail could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be
initialized.

3. Download Windows Live mail which also generates the following Error:
4.Windows Live Mail could not be started. It may not be installed correctly.
Make sure that your disk is not full or that you are not out of memory.
(0x80041161)
5. Prior to that, I disabled startup list and non-ms services from msconfig,
problem persists.
6. upgraded the vista-SP1 and repeated the above steps again. same Problem.
6. disabled all antivirous software. So basically, vista is running the
basic microsoftware services and programs, the problem remained unresolved.

Any suggestion if there is any thing I missed to make the Windows mail or
Windows Live Mail work? I am desparate as I depend on mail system. The above
described suggestions all I could find from various community sites which I
executed one by one.

Any help would be appreciated !!!!! - Microsoft any Solution ????????

Old April 27th 09, 03:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Gary VanderMolen

This is the third thread you've started on the same issue.
Please start only one thread per issue.

Old September 11th 10, 04:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Snakedoctor

I have WinMail and WIndows Live mail installed. I use Windows Live Mail.
However when attempting to make contact/leave a message/ask for information,
clicking on the Website's communication button will attempt to open my Email
program. The sites attempt to open WinMail rather than Windows Live Mail,
which I use. WinMail will not open, it never has on my Windows Vista.
My question: Can I uninstall my WinMail program and not interfere with my
WIndows Live Mail? Thank you, Snakedoctor

Old September 11th 10, 05:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Gary VanderMolen

No, Windows Mail can't be uninstalled, but it should stay dormant.
It sounds like your Windows Live Mail doesn't have all of its
default protocol assignments. Do this:
Open the Default Programs applet, then click on "Set program
access and computer defaults." Expand the Custom selection, and
select Windows Live Mail. Click OK.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)