Vista freezes/locks up totally

Old December 26th 07, 11:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Chocolate Eater

Default Vista freezes/locks up totally

Hi, all.

I've been having a problem now since the dawn of my Vista-days. Quite
frankly, I'm getting kind of tired...

Anyways. Especially during gaming, the computer totally freezes up, garbage
is repeating from my speakers and nothing happens. No BSOD. All I can do is
reset the hard way.

I'm using NVidia 8800 GTS, but since this problem is appearing with all
their drivers, I'm beginning to think maybe NVidia is not to blame (I said,
maybe ;-). But since I'm getting no BSOD, it's hard for me to get a hint of
what driver is causing the problem. It happens quite fast within a high
demand game (COD4, for instance), but can also happen within i.e. Windows
Media Player. (Could the Realtek sound driver be the bugger?)

Anyone have an idea? Any software I can install that monitors activity so
that I can check out what was the last to happen before it froze up? Any help
is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Chocolate Eater

--

Intel Dual Core 6600 @ 2.4 GHz
Vista Ultimate x64
Old December 26th 07, 02:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Wandering[_2_]

Possible causes:

1. Bad memory
2. Need for Video Driver update
4. Video board not seated properly
5. Heat on processor or video board
6. Over clocking

"Chocolate Eater" wrote in
message ...

Old December 27th 07, 11:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jhanink

On Dec 26, 4:47*am, Chocolate Eater
wrote:
[...]

Motherboard(http://www.abit.com.tw/page/no/mothe...detail.php?pMO...)

I've been having the same experience for some time now. I tried MANY
things.

What seems to have cured my system is the following:

a) reseat your RAM. Just pull it out and re-insert. The idea is to
discharge any potential static electricity.
b) disable ALL your msconfig startup items except those that you know
to be essential. That includes all the nvidia related items if you're
using nvidia.

I haven't had any freezeups or instability in two days. Hope this
works for you.