Email and Windows Vista All issues relating to email and email software using Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)

Windows Mail can compact the message store."

Old November 22nd 08, 04:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
[email protected]

Default Windows Mail can compact the message store."

"Mr. Ray" wrote:

You can stop the pop up from coming up everytime by going to the mail "tool"
then click "options" then click "advanced" then click "maintenance" then
unclick the box that says " Compact the database on shutdown every 100 runs.
The popup messages should cease.
--
RC

Old June 23rd 09, 03:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Gary VanderMolen

Since you don't like taking the garbage out periodically, you just let it
accumulate in your house until there is no more living space left?
That is essentially what you are doing.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

Old September 5th 09, 12:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Trying to shut off Mail compacting

Hi Mr. Ray, Followed the instructions, unclicked the box, no help, tried
several times and changed the # of times. It does not save the new info, it
goes back to every 100 times every time. Any other suggestions? Michelle

Old September 5th 09, 12:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
t-4-2[_99_]

" It does not save the new info, it goes back to every 100 times every
time. "
That is probably you had missed one step.
After you've changed the # of times......
First you click CLOSE,
Then, on the next window, you click Apply/OK. You missed this step,
therefore it was never changed.
t-4-2

Old February 13th 10, 11:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Ian S

Unless the system is old with a small HD and one of those 512 memory chips,
the amount of space saved compacting old emails is negligible. I routinely go
through my inbox and save the emails I want to named folders. Through this
process I deliberately limit my inbox to 500 or less messages. When I hit 500
I spend the time it takes to drink a mug of coffee saving what I want and
trashing the rest. Simple management just like emptying bins, but I am not
allowing the pc to lose messages I want in compaction. Yes the compaction
warning is off on my pc. I do not need it nagging me. Hope this encourages.

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

It's a necessary housekeeping chore. Like periodically taking out the
garbage at home. Eventually the garbage would take up so much
space that you can't live in the house anymore.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

"Fortuitous" wrote in message ...
I do not understand. Why should the compaction be done?

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

That's like turning off the seatbelt warning buzzer on your car...

There is a good reason why compaction should be done periodically.

--
Gary VanderMolen [MS-MVP WLM]

Old February 16th 10, 01:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Steve Cochran

Compaction in WinMail does NOT involved the messages at all. Only the
database (WindowsMail.MSMessageStore) is compacted.

steve

Old February 16th 10, 09:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Gary VanderMolen [MVP]

You have no idea what you are doing. The compaction process in
Windows Mail addresses a different problem than the compaction
process in Outlook Express. I suggest you heed the advice from experts.

--
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
Microsoft MVP Program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com