Vista Home Premium Install Hangs At Completing. (Clean Install)

Old December 28th 07, 07:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Serges2K

Default Vista Home Premium Install Hangs At Completing. (Clean Install)

My system setup:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz
GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard
XFX PVT71PUDP3 GeForce 7900GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI
Supported EXTREME Video Card
OCZ S.O.E 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) {TWO OF THESE}
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard
Drive
SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe
Technology Black IDE Model SH-S182M

I put up the whole entire name of the parts from Newegg just to make
sure I did not foget anything like model # incase you guys need it.
Anyways on to the problem. Everything goes good all the way up to the
Completing Installation part. It will hang there forever. I've tried a
few times, sometimes it would just hang there forever until I reboot it
and it gives me the usual error you all are used to hearing about about
not being installed properly, or it will randomly restart on its own
and give the same error. I have searched and searched and searched but
I can't seem to find anything that helps. I've tried messing with the
BIOS like instructed from some other help sites but I do not have much
experience in the BIOS so maybe I'm missing a setting I need to change?
If someone that knows about this motherboard can tell me the steps on
what I should change and how to get there I would greatly appreciate it
and try it out. My computer has no floppy drive just so you guys know.
Also I'm not sure what version of BIOS I have but I know I have to
press the Delete key to enter it if that helps any.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if there is any more
information you guys need please ask and I will try my best.

--
Serges2K
Serges2K's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=38389

http://forums.techarena.in

Old May 6th 08, 08:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
DeHart

I borrowed this fix from another posting and it worked for me! I tried
for 3 days to fix this issue until I found this. I was using a Dell
Inspiron 1720. The drivers on Dell's site gave me what I needed during
the install process. I do not know how originally posted the fix below
but they are a life saver!

REAL SOLUTION FOUND

Your solution was an inventive one, however understanding why the error
is happening might shed some light.

The problem is caused because you need to load your correct sata diver
during the installation proccess. But there is a glitch here that traps
alot of people:

After you load the driver from the setup, Vista continues to install,
but later it needs to go back to the installation disk to get the
drivers again (for whatever reason), it will *NOT* prompt you when it
tries to do this, instead it just hangs, especially because people load
the driver from the same DVDROM that they are loading Vista from.

After Vista copies files and reboots, put the Driver disk back in the
DVDROM and during the "Completing Installation" It will search it
automatically and get the drivers and continue with the install.

If you used a floppy (for whatever reason) for the drivers, after
rebooting from the initial coping files part, put the floppy back in.

It is regrettable that MS doesn't handle this better, but alas that is
the case. Follow this and your error will disapear.

I have seen many posts about this on the internet and people suggesting
all sorts of crazy solutions. I feel sorry for the people that have
tried them all and have become so frustrated at Vista over such an easy
(yet unintuitive) resolution.

Good Luck!

--
DeHart

Old September 10th 09, 05:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
rexx

Hi all,

It took me just about a week to find the solution to this installation
issue.
DeHart, your post on the sata driver , did help, but what really did it
for me was the info. @ the below link . Not sure about the clean
installation but for *those upgrading* be sure to visit this link :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946078

Hope this help yo'al

---------Rexx---------

--
rexx
rexx's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/134072.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old May 5th 10, 02:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
ugos

thanks for the help, but i tried it on my gateway laptop and it didn't
work. i don't know if am doing it wrong but as soon as it reboots i took
the Disk out and waited for it to show the completing installation and
put the Disk back in but it still didn't complete the installation.
could you help me out

--
ugos