Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Same Icon on Desktop twice

Old December 29th 07, 11:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
k8r

Default Same Icon on Desktop twice

I accidentally deleted my desktop file and it asked me something about
duplication. My fingers moved to fast and i agreed. Now I have two of the
same icons on my desktop. When I try to delete one of the icons, either they
will both go away or one will stay there and not work. Sometimes I can get it
to only have 1 icons but once I install a new program, it will double the
icons again. I added a desktop file again to "user" file and there is also a
"Public Desktop" in the public file. This is very annoying and I would like
to be able to put icons on my desktop without the duplication. How do I fix
this?
This situation is really hard to explain so I hope someone will have an idea
of how to fix it besides reinstalling windows. Thanks!
Old January 2nd 08, 11:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Hans-Georg Michna

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 15:42:01 -0800, k8r wrote:

I accidentally deleted my desktop file and it asked me something about
duplication. My fingers moved to fast and i agreed. Now I have two of the
same icons on my desktop. When I try to delete one of the icons, either they
will both go away or one will stay there and not work. Sometimes I can get it
to only have 1 icons but once I install a new program, it will double the
icons again. I added a desktop file again to "user" file and there is also a
"Public Desktop" in the public file. This is very annoying and I would like
to be able to put icons on my desktop without the duplication. How do I fix
this?
This situation is really hard to explain so I hope someone will have an idea
of how to fix it besides reinstalling windows. Thanks!

Unintelligible. What is a "desktop file"?

Solutions are unlikely as long as the problem is unclear.

Hans-Georg
--
No mail, please.
Old January 3rd 08, 02:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
k8r

When I installed Vista there was a Desktop folder with this location
C:\Users\Kate\Desktop which I accidentally deleted. I remember it asked me
about duplication when I deleted it and I pushed ok. I can't remember what
it said because it has been awhile now. I thought I could just add a
'Desktop' folder back to C:\Users\Kate ,which I did. Now when I add a
shortcut to my desktop, it will duplicate the shortcut. I tried deleting the
Desktop folder that I added but it still will duplicate the shortcuts on my
desktop.

How do I add shortcuts to my desktop without them being duplicated?

I'm not sure if this is a better explanation or not.. sorry I'm trying..

Old January 3rd 08, 10:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Hans-Georg Michna

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 18:24:00 -0800, k8r wrote:

When I installed Vista there was a Desktop folder with this location
C:\Users\Kate\Desktop which I accidentally deleted. I remember it asked me
about duplication when I deleted it and I pushed ok. I can't remember what
it said because it has been awhile now. I thought I could just add a
'Desktop' folder back to C:\Users\Kate ,which I did. Now when I add a
shortcut to my desktop, it will duplicate the shortcut. I tried deleting the
Desktop folder that I added but it still will duplicate the shortcuts on my
desktop.

How do I add shortcuts to my desktop without them being duplicated?

I'm not sure if this is a better explanation or not.. sorry I'm trying..

Yes, it is, thanks!

You could use regedit.exe to check the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell
Folders

Check whether there is exactly one value named Desktop and check
where it points. Perhaps this is the key. Perhaps you can fix it
right here, if you can spot something that's not right. Try to
compare this to another computer.

Also try to put a file directly into the Desktop folder to check
whether that appears only once on the actual desktop, to get a
feeling for the nature of the error.

I'm taking this from Windows XP, so there is a smal risk that
this works differently in Windows Vista, but it's worth a check.

I just checked the Desktop folder, and it doesn't seem to have
any special characteristics---it is a normal folder.

Be aware that there is a second Desktop folder anyway, in the
All Users profile. The actual desktop shows a superimposition of
both, but when you create an icon on the desktop, it should go
only into your user profile, not into All Users\Desktop.

Good luck---Hans-Georg
--
No mail, please.
Old March 1st 08, 08:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
yoskay

Hi, I have the same problem which creates two desktop icons in User
folder because I accidentally deleted Desktop. The reason I deleted
Desktop was because the default folder icons somehow disappeared (
teal-colored icon became yellow one).
I have tried looking at the registry but desktop location was at the
proper place.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Having two exactly same icons make me feel really weird...

--
yoskay
Old March 1st 08, 02:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Brink

yoskay;630528 Wrote:
Hi, I have the same problem which creates two desktop icons in User
folder because I accidentally deleted Desktop. The reason I deleted
Desktop was because the default folder icons somehow disappeared (
teal-colored icon became yellow one).
I have tried looking at the registry but desktop location was at the
proper place.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Having two exactly same icons make me feel really weird...

Hi Yoskay,

Welcome to Vista x64 Forums. arty:

Do you have more than one "C:\Users\(your username)\Desktop" folders?
If you do, then delete all copies of them. Since the registry location
is correct, follow OPTION ONE at the top of this tutorial for how to
restore the Desktop folder. You will be using the "shell:desktop" (no
quotes) command.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/10...-location.html

This will show you how to fix a user folder if it turns yellow on you,
if it happens again.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/90...l-folders.html

Shawn

--
Brink

'*Vista x64 Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Old March 2nd 08, 12:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
yoskay[_2_]

Thank you so much Shawn!
My problem was that Downloads registry was also located at Desktop.
Everything worked properly, folder icons look nice now
I appreciate your post.

Yosuke

--
yoskay
Old March 2nd 08, 04:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Brink

Yosuke, I'm glad to hear that you got it sorted out. Thank you for the
feedback.

Shawn

Old February 26th 10, 02:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Descant

Dell Inspiron 530 Vista Home Premium 32bit

I have had this problem since first starting using my machine. I
thought it was just another Vista peculiarity so I decided not to have
any icons on the desktop for obvious reasons.
I don't really have the confidence to edit the registry isn't that a
bit dangerous!
Is there any other way to fix this??

Any help would be gratefully received

--