Default programs & File associations

Old December 30th 07, 11:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Danneman

Default Default programs & File associations

G'day

I've cocked up and forgot to untick the box "always use" when I was
viewing a file with notepad.
Now there seems to be no way of removing that file association (like
setting it to unknown application)

Notepad doesn't come up in the default programs for some reason, and I
assume it has to be registered for that to happen.
I don't know why it's not registered by default since it's, to my
knowledge, been a default windows program since forever...

So, does anyone know what registry key you would alter to remove the
file association that Vista Ultimate x64 wont let me remove by normal
means...

/Cheers

Daniel

--
Danneman
Old December 30th 07, 10:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
theBOREDlooking1

I have exactly the same problem.

I opened a .exe file and clicked adobe reader but then accidentally checked
the #always use this program for this file type' button. So now I pretty much
can't open anything because everything is .exe.

Can anyone help?
Old December 30th 07, 10:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Jane C

http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
MVP Windows Shell/User

news

Old December 31st 07, 10:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Danneman

Ah, fantastic. Thanks Jane C

If I hadn't been such an eager beaver I might have saved myself some
work

Happy new year to y'all arty:

--
Danneman
Old December 31st 07, 10:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
theBOREDlooking1

I still can't open that because it's an .exe file. Is there any way I can
convert it or open it with something else?
Thanks.

Old December 31st 07, 10:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Jane C

Hi,

Try this from MVP Ramesh:

http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html

Select the fix for .exe files. It is a zip file.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
MVP Windows Shell/User

"theBOREDlooking1" wrote in
message ...

Old January 12th 08, 05:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
John[_28_]

Jane... does Microsoft have any plans to fix the file association
disaster in vista?

John

Jane C wrote:
Hi,

Try this from MVP Ramesh:

Old February 19th 08, 02:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
BCK

Great tip Jane!

Unfortunately, my system was a little too messed up for this to work. (I
associated my .exe files to Internet Explorer. )

I did find a way to fix my system. I basically restored my system to a
previous point in time. I think this is an acceptable solution if there have
not been a lot of changes to the system since the time the default file
associations have been changed. Here are some steps to restore the system:

1) Go to Start-Control Panel
A) If you use Standard View:
Go to System and Maintenance - System
B) Otherwise, if you use Classic View:
Go to System
2) Click Advanced System Settings
3) Click the System Protection Tab
4) Click the System Restore Button
5) Go through the Wizard that pops up. Make sure that you restore the
system to a point before the time you changed the file association.

Good Luck!

"Jane C" wrote:

Hi,

Try this from MVP Ramesh: