Windows media player stopped working

Old January 28th 08, 11:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
watsonjoshd[_2_]

Default Windows media player stopped working

This is still a crash in NVAppFilter.dll . You will not be able to get
anything working here until you either update or remove that third
party
component. =\

To what are you referring?

--
watsonjoshd
Old January 29th 08, 12:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
zachd [MSFT]

Is NVAppFilter.dll on your system? What are the file properties on that
file?

--
Speaking for myself only.

Old January 29th 08, 01:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
watsonjoshd[_3_]

'zachd [MSFT Wrote:
;589170']Is NVAppFilter.dll on your system? What are the file properties
on that
file?

--
Speaking for myself only.
See 'WMP FAQ: A trouble-shooting guide for Windows Media Player

"watsonjoshd" wrote in
message

This is still a crash in NVAppFilter.dll . You will not be able to

get
anything working here until you either update or remove that third
party
component. =\

To what are you referring?

--
watsonjoshd

How's this? Just let me know what you need.

NVAppFilter

File description NVIDIA IAM LSP
Type Application Extension
File version 2.2.0.465
Product name NVIDIA Application Filter
Product version 1.0.2.0
Copyright Copyright 2004 NVIDIA Corporation
Size 156 KB
Date modified 8/20/2007 3:10 PM
Language English (United States)

--
watsonjoshd
Old January 29th 08, 01:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
zachd [MSFT]

Why is that on your system? That seems to be causing the crash. What does
nVidia support say about this crash?

--

'zachd [MSFT Wrote:
[...]

Date modified 8/20/2007 3:10 PM
Language English (United States)

Old January 29th 08, 02:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
watsonjoshd[_4_]

I have found that the Nvappfilter.dll installs as part of the Nforce
Network manager, that comes with the Nforce driver package. Others have
also said that this file causes them problems as well. I have since
uninstalled all Nvidia drivers, and deleted the Nvappfilter.dll and will
be playing around with this to see what happens

--
watsonjoshd
Old January 29th 08, 10:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Mr Specbus

I have had the identical problem with Media Player and COM Surrogate. This
started to occur after I installed Nikon Capture NX. I uninstalled Capture
NX but the problem with Media Player still occurs. Updated NVIDIA and
Creative drivers but problem persist. Have you had any luck debugging?

----------------------------
Product
Windows Media Player

Problem
Stopped working

Date
1/25/2008 3:03 PM

Status
Not Reported

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: wmplayer.exe
Application Version: 11.0.6000.6344
Application Timestamp: 46e5f12e
Fault Module Name: StackHash_8a73
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bdc9
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 000af1c9
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 8a73
Additional Information 2: 040c9e81502f42c1055a4e2eb8caf1ae
Additional Information 3: a9a3
Additional Information 4: 7677726ffb7ef20baf211cead593c296

Files that help describe the problem
Version.txt
AppCompat.txt
memory.hdmp
minidump.mdmp

---------------------------------------

--
Specbus

"skeeter224" wrote:

I have started having the same problem; WMP plays audio for 10 -45 seconds,
it stops and gives me the same error message that it has stopped working.

On the same day I started getting a "Com Surragate was stopped working"
message when I attempted to use Adobe Lightroom. The program Nikon Capture NX
has also stopped working.

below is the problem report:

Description
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: wmplayer.exe
Application Version: 11.0.6000.6324
Application Timestamp: 4549b52a
Hang Signatu 86e3
Hang Type: 0
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Hang Signature 1: 3a78597793638d0d3f75ebcce9aac691
Additional Hang Signature 2: 8047
Additional Hang Signature 3: 0ec51ff430499d35fe3bbab605d37d54
Additional Hang Signature 4: 86e3
Additional Hang Signature 5: 3a78597793638d0d3f75ebcce9aac691
Additional Hang Signature 6: 8047
Additional Hang Signature 7: 0ec51ff430499d35fe3bbab605d37d54

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 12022627

I'm running Vista Home Premium that came installed on a Gateway tower, it is
a newer machine with 4 gigs of ram. I have rolled the machine back to a
restore point but did not help.

Any help would be appreciated, this is beyond my capabilities.

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

Go to Control Panel (Classic view) Problem Reports and Solutions. In the left
hand pane, click "View problem history". Right click on the relevant problem
and select "View problem details". Use the "Copy to clipboard" link in the
lower left corner of the window and paste into a reply to this thread.

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"nish285" wrote in message

see thats the thing, it doesn't ask to send an error report. It just
saysd that he program encountered and error and needs to close but
doesn't say anythings about what caused it or sending an error report

--
nish285

Old January 29th 08, 11:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
watsonjoshd[_5_]

SpecBus: I have not had any problems since my "fix." After being tipped
off to the NVappfilter.dll issue, I uninstalled all of my Nvidia
drivers, restarted, went to check and see if that .dll is still there
(it is located at C:\Windows\System32\NVappfilter.dll) If it's still
there, delete it and restart again. Once you are rid of the
NVappfilter.dll, install the latest NForce driver pack for your OS from
Nvidia.com. If uninstalling these drivers now prohibits you from using
the Internet, use your MoBo disk to install at least your Ethernet
drivers, or see if the Vista drivers work for your Ethernet, so you can
at least get online. Now, to make sure you don't reinstall that .dll and
be returned to square one, DO NOT install the Nvidia network manager,
which you will be prompted to do during the NForce Driver install setup.
If you successfully get all your drivers up to date, and avoid
installing the Nvidia network manager, and thus NVappfilter.dll, you
should be as problem free as I am. As far as COM Surrogate goes, I can't
say. But, this fixed a couple of other problems that I was diagnosing
separately, so it very well may do the same for you. Good Luck.

--
watsonjoshd
Old January 30th 08, 03:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Mr Specbus

watsonjoshd: Thanks for the info. NVAppFilter.dll is not on my system so the
mystery continues.
--
Specbus

Old January 30th 08, 05:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
zachd [MSFT]

Did the Nikon uninstall leave the file nefcodec.dll on the system?

What does Nikon support say about this issue? If their uninstall did leave
nefcodec.dll on the system, they would likely want to know about it.

--
Speaking for myself only.

Old January 30th 08, 06:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Mr Specbus

nefcodec.dll was still on the system after I uninstalled Capture NX. I
renamed the file to nefcodec.bak and WMP now seems to run fine. I will
contact Nikon to see what they have to say. Thanks.
--
Specbus