1900+ rpm fan speed

Old January 3rd 08, 04:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
vistar

Default 1900+ rpm fan speed

my psu fan was going fast (and loud) so i decided to see wat its rpm was
on an app called speedfan...adn turns out it goes over 1900 rpm.

i shut off the comp for 3 hrs and go back on and the fan speed
increases to 1900 rpm in 5 min.

is that normal or no???

is there a way to manually change the fan speed.

thx in advance.

--
vistar
Old January 3rd 08, 04:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dustin Harper

It is usually the temperature of the CPU and/or case temperature that
controls how fast they go. You can control them (usually) in Speedfan by
unchecking automatic speed control. Sometimes, the fans themselves have a
temperature probe in them. You can replace the CPU and case fans with
quieter fans, and buy a silent power supply. There are some PC's that are
nearly silent, and the hard drive is louder than the fans. Look for the
Vantec Stealth fans, they work well at a decent price.

--
Dustin Harper

http://www.vistarip.com

Old January 3rd 08, 04:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
peter

Fans going at 1900 RPM are not unusual..........most mobo nowadays have Bios
settings that allow you to control the speed in relation to the heat
produced by the CPU.
The program that you used to read the RPM has that capability as
well.........explore it.

It would have been helpful to know what CPU and MOBO the fan/heatsink was
attached to.
Computer stores sell various fans in a multitude of sizes and speeds
....which translates into air movement for cooling...which varies by CPU.
Some models of Fans are more quiet than others at the same or higher RPM.
The amount of cool air going into the case and the amount of hot air being
sucked out has a lot to do with the internal temp of the case...which in
turn has an effect on the CPU temp...which in turn has an effect on the fan
speed.
Do a Google for SilentPC and take a look at some of their fan reviews and
you will get the idea.
peter

Old January 3rd 08, 05:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
vistar[_2_]

i put it on auto, now even tho the rpm is bout 1800, its not really
loud. however, theres a high pitched noise comin out of my pc.

--
vistar

Old January 3rd 08, 02:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dustin Harper

That could be your hard drive, or another fan.

--
Dustin Harper

http://www.vistarip.com