Optiarc DVD RW AD-7173A Reading/Recording Problem

Old January 4th 08, 03:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Abel

Default Optiarc DVD RW AD-7173A Reading/Recording Problem

The exact Disc Drive is a Optiarc DVD RW AD-7173A SCSI CdRom Device.
The computer is from Gateway Model: GT5628

I recently had to do a fresh install of Windows Vista because for some
reason my DVDRW drive stopped working as it suppoded to.

Problems:
When ever I insert Blank CD's/DVDs it will say "Windows cannot read the disc
in drive E:\ Make sure the disc uses a format that windows recongizes. If the
disc is unformatted, you need to format it before using it"

-I right clicked the drive to view its properties and the Recording Tab is
missing.

-I have yet to find a solution that works I tried uninstalling but drive
still has the same issues.
Old January 4th 08, 07:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Abel

I have found a solution download and install http://www.imgburn.com/ Imgburn
burn software. I uninstalled the software and vista recognized the drive.

I came to the conslusion that the the SPTI was not started. (Just like in
winXP and ASPI layer). If anyone has any clue about the new Vista SPTI layer
or more specifically how to recover it please post any info thanks.

I hope this helps anyone out there having the same issues.

Old January 5th 08, 09:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Abel

After more testing doing a fresh instalation of Vista (Prenium) I came across
a hotfix that fixed everything.

KB930194

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930194.

(Note I have found out that after installing ImgBurn with a fresh install of
Vista it still had the problem so installing the program will do no good.)

Old January 6th 08, 11:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
[email protected]

"abel" wrote:

The exact Disc Drive is aOptiarcDVDRWAD-7173ASCSICdRomDevice.
The computer is from Gateway Model: GT5628

I recently had to do a fresh install of Windows Vista because for some
reason my DVDRW drive stopped working as it suppoded to.

Problems:
When ever I insert Blank CD's/DVDs it will say "Windows cannot read the disc
in drive E:\ Make sure the disc uses a format that windows recongizes. If the
disc is unformatted, you need to format it before using it"

-I right clicked the drive to view its properties and the Recording Tab is
missing.

-I have yet to find a solution that works I tried uninstalling but drive
still has the same issues.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you very much, I have been trying to figure out this problem for
a couple weeks now. I bought the floor model and they reinstalled
vista to get all the store info off the computer. I reinstalled it
agian thinking it would fix my burner problem but it did not. I can't
believe it took this long to find a solution. Thanks agian.