Moving app window from one display to the other

Old January 5th 08, 06:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bill

Default Moving app window from one display to the other

I just installed vista ultimate and have a dual monitor setup. My main
monitor is a 22"widescreen next to a 17"standard, both LCD. If I'm viewing a
maximized window on my main screen(22") and try to drag it over to the other
one, I can't until I minimize it. This is ridiculous. XP would allow this
just fine, even resizing the window to fit the smaller screen perfectly
maximized. Please tell me there's a fix for this. All drivers and firmware
are up to date.

Thanks.

Old January 5th 08, 08:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
E-Jack[_2_]

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...301891033.mspx
"If the window is maximized, you can't move it until you reduce the window
to its smaller (pre-maximized or "restored") size by clicking the Restore
Down button."

It seems as though you are stuck with un-maximizing the windows before
moving them to the other screen. Though, I was pretty sure it was just like
this in XP as well
Old January 5th 08, 09:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DanR

I have dual 22 inch monitors. If either monitor has a maximized window it
will not drag anywhere. This is true for XP and Vista. (dual boot) I must
first un-maximize to drag the window. (not minimize)

Old January 5th 08, 09:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper

Yep, that's been standard behaviour since at least Windows 2000. A
maximized window is "snapped-to" the limits of the monitor it's displayed on
and must be restored to a non-maximized state before it can be dragged to
another display.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...

Old January 6th 08, 02:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bill

Thanks for the responses, but XP would allow a fully maximized window to be
moved over without unmaximizing it. I was doing it just yesterday. I also
read what Windows says on their site about having to unmaximize, but I
thought someone would know a fix due to XP being able to do this
effortlessly. Not only did XP move a fully maximized window, but it would
adjust the size to fit maximized into the smaller monitor window. Very
nice... Too bad Vista is crippled.

Old January 6th 08, 02:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dave

I am able to do this with Vista.
I am also running MultiMonitor Taskbar (task bar across both monitors), and
DisplayFusion (different background images on each screen). Both have
options to move windows to the other monitor.

--
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

news