Excel XLSX files fail to synchronize

Old January 7th 08, 09:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Bob

Default Excel XLSX files fail to synchronize

Hi,

My Documents folder is a redirected folder and therefore by default, it is
always available offline.

Why is it that if I edit my Excel file is in 2003 (xls) format, it almost
always goes offline and needs to be synchronized manually? (Note that the
file really isn't synchronizing as I do not see it change on the server
until I do a manual sync).

But if I use a 2007 (xlsx) format, (in the very same folder), it
synchronizes right away? I don't see this problem with Word (.doc) or
(.docx) files.

I doubt this is an Excel 2007 problem and I suspect it is more to do with
Vista offline folders. I've seen this problem on 3 of 3 Vista machines I
tested. And one of those machines is Vista SP1 RC, so if this is a Vista
bug, it isn't fixed in SP1. My XP machines only have Excel 2003, and they
do not have this problem.

I also notice that both Word and Excel will create a ~$filename.ext each
time the file is opened. But if this is an (xls) file, it will not (on
Vista).

And lastly, why is it that these temporary ~$filename.ext do not disappear
when the application that created them (Word or Excel) is closed? I know
that the file is gone, but I must do a Windows Explorer refresh to show
that. (again in Vista; not XP).

I don't have this refresh problem with files that "I" create or delete, but
when the application creates these temporary files, Windows Explorer
requires a manual refresh to make them go away.

--
Thanks,
Bob

Old January 8th 08, 11:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Morgan che

Dear Bob,

Thanks for the posting.

This post seems like to be the same as "Offline files fail to synchronize"
you posted in this newsgroup. I have replied for you in the another thread.
As for the detail information, please refer to my reply of "Offline files
fail to synchronize".

I have tested this issue in my environment. It can successfully synchronize
between the file server and client, no matter what format the synchronized
file is. Moreover, the offline file synchronization has nothing to do with
the format of the files, because the process of offline file
synchronization is the process of file replication. It has no idea about
what format the synchronized file is.

However, offline file synchronization is a bit related to the file size.
Because if this file size is greater than the limitation you defined in
Disk Usage tab of the Offline Files in Control Panel or a Group Policy
setting, the synchronization may fail. So please check the size of this
.xlsx file.

I hope this helps.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely
Morgan Che
Microsoft Online Support

--------------------
---From: "Bob"
---Subject: Excel XLSX files fail to synchronize
---Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 16:36:31 -0500
---Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
---
---Hi,
---
[...]
-----
---Thanks,
---Bob
---
---

Old January 11th 08, 11:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Morgan che

Dear Bob,

How are you?

I am wondering if my suggestion is help. If anything is unclear, please
feel free to let me know.

Have a good day!

Sincerely
Morgan Che
Microsoft Online Support

--------------------
---From: "Bob"
---Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 16:36:31 -0500
---Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
---
---Hi,
---

Old January 11th 08, 11:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Bob

Hi Morgan,

I responded back on the first thread "Offline files fail to synchronize".

Let's close this one out and just work from the first one. Thanks.

--
Thanks,
Bob
Old January 14th 08, 10:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Morgan che

Dear Bob,

Thank for your notification.

Let's work on the other thread "Offline files fail to synchronize".

Have a good day!

Sincerely
Morgan Che
Microsoft Online Support