explorer - "computer"

Old January 7th 08, 10:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
AardvarksRUs

Default explorer - "computer"

Couple questions about explorer.exe and what it shows as "Computer".

Is there a way to configure "Windows Explorer", which I think is still
invoked by "explorer.exe", to open by default in the quasi/pseudo-directory
shown in explorer and on desktop as "computer", what previously I think had
been shown as "My Computer"?

How would I call this up from the command line, including as an/the
administrator?

Is there a system variable for "computer"; if not, how would I create one?

Related: what is its path? I cannot find it anywhere on safari, spelunking
through system directories, etc.

I know I can, usually, create a shortcut to display that by right-click,
create shortcut; but, if I wanted to do it the other way, [even just to know
how], how would I "create shortcut" and point to "computer"?

Thanks!
Old January 12th 08, 09:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
AardvarksRUs

Thank you for reply; but, no, that was not info sought; probably question not
clear.

-- If run explorer.exe from box from orb, or otherwise, including as new
task from task manager, the window opens by default to documents in current
user's profile.

-- I also had the occasion to be trying to launch an instance of explorer
by command-line as a non-admin, and desired that it open to "computer",
instead of "documents" for "(user)".

-- I am wondering, among other things, if, for example, there is a registry
hack, or command-line switches, to get explorer.exe to open, preferably by
default, to display "computer". Along with that, would be a desire to have
it open with the folder navigation tree displayed with details, instead of
some other fancy, non-directory tree view with tiles, list, icons, etc.

When I went to try to find properties for the icon I saw displayed in
Windows Explorer as 'computer', previously "My Computer", there was no path
nor location info;,,,nor was it listed among environmental system variables.

I have always on every new computer right-clicked computer to show on
desktop.

What I wonder is how, either to:

-- reference "computer", or add it as a variable, to call it up; or,

-- set up Windows Explorer to always launch with computer as default
highlight display, in the appropriate view settings.

I understand a bit about parse/junction points and virtual folders, and
understand that what is showing as 'computer' is almost certainly not a real
folder/directory. What I do not find in MS info or elsewhere is what it
actually is instead, and how and where to reference it and specify its
display.

It is not very useful to me to have explorer start in documents with the
user's profile sort-of expanded, instead of seeing the whole computer schema,
including control panel, network, the user's profile if desired, the drives
all shown, etc.

I did see that right-clicking the computer icon on the desktop or
right-hand-menu from orb did produce such a view, just not by running
explorer.exe.

In some other post, I'll have to ask about how to add items to the black
right side of the start menu, but will try to stay focused in this one on
finding a way to get explorer to open computer, and what are the true, buried
properties of that entity, "computer", which does not seem to show up in any
other directory, etc.

It would be useful to be able to add it as a system environmental variable,
but that would require knowing what and where it is first.

I guess part of the question is how to show it as desired from the
explorer.exe command, but part is just what is it? It appears often in
Windows Explorer, but with no obvious properties of its own, unlike even the
special pointers, virtual folders, parse points, etc., of the O/S, which can
almost all be found in some system directory somewhere and have "properties"
point there, as well as giving other info about characteristics. Also, the
system environmental variables list is useful for some special 'folders', but
"computer" is not listed among them.

Jumping right to C: drive instead is not quite so valuable a view at that
lower level.

thanks!

AardvarksRUs

"R. C. White" wrote:
Start | right-click on Computer | Show on Desktop.
Is that what you want?
RC

Old January 12th 08, 05:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Bob

No need to mess with the registry .Create a shortcut on your desktop to
whatever location(s) you want Explorer to open in. If you like you can then
drag the shortcut to the Quick Launch Toolbar.

In ToolsFolder OptionsView choose the Details view. You will be given the
option to apply the view only to the folder you are viewing or to all
folders.