Windows Fax & Scan - Outlook Contacts

Old January 9th 08, 05:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Bruce Terry

Default Windows Fax & Scan - Outlook Contacts

Hi All,

Why can't I access my Outlook 2007 contacts from Windows Fax & Scan to
enable sending a fax to a particular contact.

I am connected to a Windows SBS 2003 Server and am using the Fax server
function.

It used to work fine before I upgraded the PC to Windows Vista.

Can anyone help?
Bruce Terry
Old January 9th 08, 10:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

WFS uses whatever you have designated as your default Contacts Manager for
your OS.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old January 9th 08, 03:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
huwyngr

What version of VISTA -- Home versions do not have Fax & Scan.

Old January 9th 08, 08:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Since the OP has already launched WFS, I doubt this would apply.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"huwyngr" wrote in message
.. .
What version of VISTA -- Home versions do not have Fax & Scan.

Old January 9th 08, 08:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
huwyngr

In article , Russ
Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:

Since the OP has already launched WFS .....

I was not prepared to assume this since failure to find WFS would fit
the statement "Why can't I access" .... s

I don't assume anything these days and people need to learn to give
information at the start! Sorry but that's a war-weary sysop speaking

Old January 9th 08, 08:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Couldn't agree more that more information is always better than less. But
when you read beyond your self-imposed ellipses, you will see that the OP is
already running WFS and trying to access his Outlook Contacts, which he
should bloody well be able to do.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
.. .

Old January 9th 08, 09:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Bruce Terry

Thanks for the replies Russ,

I think you might be onto something with the Windows Contacts defaults
comment.

I confirm I am running Vista Business, as I understand it you cannot connect
to Small Business Server unless you are runing the Business or Ultimate
version of Vista.

When I look at the Default programs I see that:

- Microsoft Outlook has all its defaults
- Windows Contacts has 4 of 5 defaults (does not include .vcf extension files)
The 4 defaults that are selected include a ".contact" extension that is
set to Windows Contacts but is greyed out and cannot be changed.

Any clues on how to change it to Microsoft Outlook Contacts ?

Regards
Bruce Terry

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

Couldn't agree more that more information is always better than less. But
when you read beyond your self-imposed ellipses, you will see that the OP is
already running WFS and trying to access his Outlook Contacts, which he
should bloody well be able to do.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
.. .

Old January 9th 08, 09:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
huwyngr

In article , Russ
Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:

you will see that the OP is*already running WFS

I don't actually see that stated by him and I'd rather be redundant
than imply something that is not so.

Old January 9th 08, 09:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

If Outlook is set to all of its defaults (including your default email
program), then you should be good to go. The next thing to look at is how
you set up your client. How did you configure your client fax account? It
may be necessary to elevate WFS on the client to run as administrator when
you make that configuration.
--
[...]

.. .

Old January 9th 08, 09:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Bruce Terry

Good call Russ,

Ran WFS "as Administrator" and the Outlook Contacts appeared.

Thanks for your help--
Bruce Terry

[...]

.. .