Which disk image creation software is good for Vista?

Old January 12th 08, 03:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Jack

Default Which disk image creation software is good for Vista?

Ghost 12 does not create a single file image anymore, or I do not know how
to use it.
Acronis does.
Jack
"dgmacmi" wrote in message
"Jack" replyto@it wrote in message
Hello,
In previous years I used Ghost to create the image of my harddrive.
It was simple, easy procedure and very fast.
I booted up computer to the command prompt and restored harddrive in few
minutes!!!
But it was FAT32 system.
Now, with Vista I do not have a choice but to use NTSF file system.
Which program offers the most features for disk image creation?
I know it will be impossible for me to restore image from command boot
option, but what the options I have?
Can I for example take the harddrive to another computer and restore the
image in there?
Or create bootable CD (DVD?) and restore the image that way?
Or I have to first install Windows and then restore?
What are the options?
Your experience is welcomed,
Jack

Ghost has been compatible with NTFS file system for a number of versions.
Ghost Version 12 is Vista compatible.
The Ghost installation CD has been bootable for a number of versions. You
may need to reset your BIOS to boot from CD. If you have more than one
DVD/CD drive only one will be boot capable {in a tower system it is
usually the top drive}.

I recently changed to Acronis True Image for a new computer. So far I like
it; but have not needed to use it to restore. I did a number of restores
with Ghost versions 10 thru 12. For non-Windows drive or a drive with
Ghost installed, I could restore from within Windows.

Don

Old January 12th 08, 03:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Jack

Ghost 12 compresses?
Can you guide me please how to do that?
I can find only 'Copy Files' option.
Jack

"Kerry Brown" *a*m wrote in message

Which version of Vista do you have?

If that version is Home Premium, I highly recommend native "Complete PC
Backup and Restore". Excellent programme.

I agree it does a good job. The problem is it doesn't compress the image.
Acronis True Image, Norton Ghost, etc. offer varying levels of compression
so that more images can be stored.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Old January 12th 08, 03:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Jack

I also mentioned Ghost andAcronis earlier in this newsgroup.
For some reason of my own I now use Ghost, but
Acronis is a really good utility. Not expensive and easy to use.
I really do not know which one to recommend. Both !

Ghost 12 ? Can you create single file compressed image using it?
How?

Old January 12th 08, 03:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Jack

"Bernie Sterzenbach" wrote in message

Hello,
Ghost 12.0 is very good. Also for Vista and NTFS. Some versions
between old DOS Ghost and Ghost 12.0 were imho not good.

Bernie

What is good with it?
Does it produce a single file compressed image?

Old January 12th 08, 04:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Apparently you have only looked at the File and folder backup function in
Ghost 12. Go back and look at the Drive-based backup function. That's
where you find the compressed image capability. You can do either kind of
backup.

"Jack" replyto@it wrote in message

"Bernie Sterzenbach" wrote in message

Hello,
Ghost 12.0 is very good. Also for Vista and NTFS. Some versions
between old DOS Ghost and Ghost 12.0 were imho not good.

Bernie

What is good with it?
Does it produce a single file compressed image?

Old January 12th 08, 04:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Jack

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote in message
Apparently you have only looked at the File and folder backup function in
Ghost 12. Go back and look at the Drive-based backup function. That's
where you find the compressed image capability. You can do either kind of
backup.

I have Ghost 12 opened in front of me.
I cannot find any 'functions' you talk about.
The main options a
Home Status Tasks Tools Advanced
Under Tools I have:
Manage Backup Destination
Copy Recovery Point
Convert to Virtual Disk
Copy My Hard Drive ---- this is what I was referring to.

Can you please guide me to "Drive based function" please?
Jack

Old January 12th 08, 05:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Kerry Brown

Sorry I haven't used Ghost in a long time. I thought it had the ability to
compress images but I may have been mistaken. Previous versions had this
ability.

http://www.symantec.com/business/sup...t=Search+No w

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

"Jack" replyto@it wrote in message
Ghost 12 compresses?
Can you guide me please how to do that?
I can find only 'Copy Files' option.
Jack

"Kerry Brown" *a*m wrote in message

Which version of Vista do you have?

If that version is Home Premium, I highly recommend native "Complete
PC Backup and Restore". Excellent programme.

I agree it does a good job. The problem is it doesn't compress the image.
Acronis True Image, Norton Ghost, etc. offer varying levels of
compression so that more images can be stored.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Old January 12th 08, 05:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Chapter 4 of the user manual, page 45, "Choosing a Backup Type", (quote)

"There are two types of backups available:

Drive-based backup: Backs up an entire hard drive

File and folder backup: Backs up only the files and folders that you select

You can use the following guidelines to determine which type of backup to
choose:
Drive-based backup: Use this backup type to do the following:
â–* Back up and recover your computer's system drive
(typically, the C drive, which includes your operating
system).
â–* Back up and recover a specific hard drive, such as a
secondary drive (which is a drive other than the system
drive on which your operating system is installed).
â–* Recover lost or damaged files or folders from a specific
point in time.

File and folder backup: Use this backup type to do the following:
â–* Back up and recover specific files and folders, for
example personal files that are stored in the My
Documents folder.
â–* Back up and recover files of a specific type, for example
music (.mp3 or .wav) or photographs (.jpg or .bmp).
â–* Recover a specific version of a file from a specific point
in time." (end quote)

The detailed instructions for running a Drive-based backup begin on page 46.