unable to associate file type

Old January 11th 08, 05:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
phegger

Default unable to associate file type

I am unable to associate .tpo files w/the default program, Topo. I use the
Set Association feature and when I get to Open With I navigate to the
topo.exe file but it never shows up in the list of Other Programs. Why oh
why??

Topo does show up in my list of installed programs BTW.
Old January 11th 08, 07:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
brink[_2745_]

phegger;569249 Wrote:
I am unable to associate .tpo files w/the default program, Topo. I use
the
Set Association feature and when I get to Open With I navigate to the
topo.exe file but it never shows up in the list of Other Programs. Why
oh
why??

Topo does show up in my list of installed programs BTW.

Hi Phegger,

See if Method Two in this tutorial will allow you to associate the .TPO
file.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/69...-programs.html

Shawn

--
brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Old January 11th 08, 08:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
phegger

Nope...it doesn't seem to recognize the .exe file when I try to choose it to
Open With. The recommended program is Adobe Reader--go figure.

The Topo program, and the topo.exe file is installed on an external hard
drive. Does that make a difference?

Old January 11th 08, 09:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
brink[_2748_]

"brink" wrote:

phegger;569249 Wrote:

Hi Phegger,

See if Method Two in this tutorial will allow you to associate the

.TPO
file.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/69...-programs.html

Shawn

--
brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*

Phegger,

It just might make a difference if Vista is running into a permission
issue. Try taking ownership of the exe file to see if it helps.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...ship-file.html

Shawn

Old January 12th 08, 04:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Ramesh, MS-MVP

Registering programs with the "Open With" dialog:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithadd.htm

OpenWithAdd 1.2 - Supports Windows Vista:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blogs/5...ows-Vista.html

--
Regards,

Old January 12th 08, 05:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
John[_28_]

The open with and browse choice does NOT work. Not on my vista home prim
um anyway. I browse, find the file (wmplayer.exe) and try clicking it,
double clicking, hiting enter, and doing all three while swearing at
Microsoft. Nothing works. It just bounces back to the original screen. i
have found no way to even get wmplayer on the list of options.

John

Old January 12th 08, 05:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
John[_28_]

Yes... you end up at the same place as right clicking the file/
properties/ change etc.

John

Old January 12th 08, 07:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
John[_28_]

Recently... I think. I loaded the codecs for ogg and flac files. The
problem started when I tried to get media player to open those file
types automatically. Media Player doesn't come out of the box with any
knowledge of those particular file types and codecs. They were set up to
be opened by adobe reader for unknown reasons by the installer. They are
music compression codecs. After two hours of trying various methods as
recommended by help and vista instructions I started fooling with the
registry and figured out a solution. Have no idea whether I've screwed
up anything else though.

The surprising thing is that I can't get wmplayer into the vista
options. You would think it would come with that or that mediaplayer 11
setup would put it there.

John