Documents folder on Desktop

Old January 13th 08, 04:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Mike

Default Documents folder on Desktop

I boot up my laptop this morning only to find my Documents folder
mysteriously sitting on my desktop. Not a shortcut to Documents - the actual
folder. I try moving the contents out of the desktop Documents into the
actual Documents folder, then attempt to delete the desktop version, only to
find doing this is resulting in the deletion of the contents of the actual
Documents folder as well. How can I get the Documents folder off of my
desktop?
Old January 13th 08, 04:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
John[_28_]

Where is and what is the "actual" documents folder? I'd just drag the
desktop one to where the actual one is and choose replace when it asks
how to move it. I'm no expert though. If it doesn't work then try
dragging with a right click and select move.

John

Old January 13th 08, 05:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Mike

Where is and what is the "actual" documents folder?

The folder in the user named folder, in my case C:/Mike/Documents.

I'd just drag the
desktop one to where the actual one is and choose replace when it asks
how to move it. I'm no expert though. If it doesn't work then try
dragging with a right click and select move.

Instead of asking if I want to replace, I end up with 2 identical Documents
folders. If I try to delete one, the other gets deleted as well.

Old January 14th 08, 03:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
R. C. White

Hi, Mike.

Shouldn't that be C:\Users\Mike\Documents?

It appears that you somehow dragged your Documents folder to the Desktop at
some point.

Does "Documents" appear on the right-hand side of your Start menu?
Right-click it and then Properties | Location | Restore Default.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

news

Old January 14th 08, 04:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
John[_28_]

That's really weird. If you do a right click drag and check move it
should delete it from desktop and move it to wherever you want. The only
time I've seen this thing where you delete one file and it deletes it's
copy in another folder is in the search things... that's really weird
too. Another vista werid thing.

john