Windows Vista and Games Relating to running games and relateds issues under Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.games)

Running DOS Games under Vista

Old January 15th 08, 04:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Wogerwabby

Default Running DOS Games under Vista

"Man-wai Chang ToDie" wrote:

Are you talking "\" or "/"? DOS uses "\" to specify folder. Linux uses "/".

I was talking about the FOREWARD slash "\" and I tried the backslash, but
can not get the colon":" to type out either??!
Old January 15th 08, 05:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Man-wai Chang ToDie

Are you talking "\" or "/"? DOS uses "\" to specify folder. Linux uses "/".
I was talking about the FOREWARD slash "\" and I tried the backslash, but
can not get the colon":" to type out either??!

Are you using English XP?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.23.13
Old January 15th 08, 07:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Wogerwabby

"Man-wai Chang ToDie" wrote:

Are you talking "\" or "/"? DOS uses "\" to specify folder. Linux uses "/".

I was talking about the FOREWARD slash "\" and I tried the backslash, but
can not get the colon":" to type out either??!

Are you using English XP?

English, yes, but running Vista...I have tried that program with XP and it
allows me to input from the keyboard of the laptop just fine, just not with
Vista on the desktop
Old January 15th 08, 09:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Man-wai Chang ToDie

English, yes, but running Vista...I have tried that program with XP and it
allows me to input from the keyboard of the laptop just fine, just not with
Vista on the desktop

Did you set your "Codepage for non-Unicode Programs" to some weird language?

Are you using a wireless keyboard?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.23.13
^ ^ 17:36:01 up 5 days 49 min 0 users load average: 1.09 1.07 1.01
? ? (CSSA):
Old January 15th 08, 03:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Wogerwabby

"Man-wai Chang ToDie" wrote:

English, yes, but running Vista...I have tried that program with XP and it
allows me to input from the keyboard of the laptop just fine, just not with
Vista on the desktop

Did you set your "Codepage for non-Unicode Programs" to some weird language?

I did not set anything, just used the software as it came.
Are you using a wireless keyboard?

The keyboard is a Microsoft Wireless Comfort 1.0

Old January 15th 08, 05:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Andy [YaYa]

Are you in the US? Is Vista set to US-Keyboard under the Region Settings?

If you bring up DOSBOX.CONF (you'll find a link to this file in your start
menu, just type dosbox in search), look for this entry:
--snip--
keyboardlayout=

this is a new option since version 0.70. leaving it untouched gives you the
default US keyboard layout, changing it to 'gr' activates for example the
support for german keyboards. several european languages are supported
internal, watch the readme file for all supported languages. for other
languages you can use the .kl files from the freedos project (details in the
readme).
--end-snip--

So, check the dosbox readme file as well for help.

GL,
-A.

Old January 15th 08, 09:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Dave

I ran into this same problem, with a Gateway US keyboard... finally
downloaded a frontend program, called D-Fend, which I could configure...
haven't used it in a long time.

--
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

Old January 19th 08, 05:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Dan Lingman

=?Utf-8?B?V29nZXJ3YWJieQ==?=
wrote in :

"Dan Lingman" wrote:

=?Utf-8?B?V29nZXJ3YWJieQ==?=
wrote in :

I have tried to no avail t install and run AAAAANY of my older DOS
based (and full screen) games that usd to run under XP and earlier.
s there a workaround for this or am I stuck having to run these on
an older machine??

Install virtual PC (free) from Microsoft.
Install Dos, or win 95/98/xp into virtual PC. (You'll need your
media/license key for that)
Install your fullscreen dos games and go nuts.

Dan.

I have just tried DosBox and for some reason it won't allow me to
enter the colon or foreward slash to input the drive parameters. I
guess I must have an odd keyboard to not map right. It is a Microsoft
IntelliSense wireless keyboard and mouse setup. I even tried an older
HP keyboard to no avail. It was a nice advice on the Virtual PC, but
unfortunately I am using the Premium Home version of Vista and it is
not supported. Any other ideas? Thanks for helping so far.
Randy

Hmm.

you could try vmware

Either download vmware workstation, and install dos into it, or pull down
the vmware player, and a preconfigured virtual machine (for example:
http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/126 is set up to play old dos
games)

Good luck.

Dan.
Old February 9th 08, 03:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Stevenhuang

Virtual PC works under Microsoft Windows Home Premium on my computer.

Old February 9th 08, 03:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Stevenhuang

Update DOS Box. New ver. is ready for download.