Windows Vista and Games Relating to running games and relateds issues under Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.games)

Running DOS Games under Vista

Old February 20th 08, 06:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
PabloCruzio

Default Running DOS Games under Vista

Do what I did,

get a KVM switch, and a small form factor (like XPC by shuttle) computer,
with DOS, or Windows 98, or XP w/DOSBOX, etc.

You could even get a decent used PC and Salvation Army or Goodwill for DOS.
Why bother trying to get the new stuff to run it? Just keep a PC configured
to run the old stuff. Simple enough. Full compatibility, no issues.

PDK

"Wogerwabby" wrote:

I have tried to no avail t install and run AAAAANY of my older DOS based (and
full screen) games that usd to run under XP and earlier. s there a
workaround for this or am I stuck having to run these on an older machine??

Old February 20th 08, 06:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Andy [YaYa]

"Wogerwabby" wrote:

I have tried to no avail t install and run AAAAANY of my older DOS based
(and
full screen) games that usd to run under XP and earlier. s there a
workaround for this or am I stuck having to run these on an older
machine??

Yeah, I have an old DOS 486 in storage, complete with a SB16 and a Roland
MT-32 Synth module (the card version, forget what it was called), 80meg HD,
5.25" and 3.5" floppies, I love it. One of my oldest computers, next to my
original Atari 800.

God, I gotta get outta this business.

Old February 28th 08, 04:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
RobinDiscus!

NO! I installed VPC07 on my Home Premium, and said "You are not running a
suitable OS." This did not happen when installing VPC07 with Win2K on my old
XP.

"Stevenhuang" wrote:

Virtual PC works under Microsoft Windows Home Premium on my computer.

Old February 28th 08, 06:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Dave

Yes!
It still works.

--
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

Old March 11th 08, 05:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
qhard

I have some information about it from Czech Republick. Microsoft implemented
into Windows Vista new drivers for graphic cards that is not compatible with
any MS-DOS application and taht is not compatible with any 3Dfx OpenGL
application. I wait that Microsoft improve it, because it is not possible
install old graphic drivers from Windows XP or older and DosBOX it is not a
good idea. DosBOX is not treatment from Microsoft and it slow down your
computer very drastically.

Old March 11th 08, 07:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Andy [YaYa]

"qhard" wrote in message
I have some information about it from Czech Republick. Microsoft
implemented
into Windows Vista new drivers for graphic cards that is not compatible
with
any MS-DOS application and taht is not compatible with any 3Dfx OpenGL
application. I wait that Microsoft improve it, because it is not possible
install old graphic drivers from Windows XP or older and DosBOX it is not
good idea. DosBOX is not treatment from Microsoft and it slow down your
computer very drastically.

No S*it Sherlock, DOSBox is an EMULATOR, it emulates old hardware using new
hardware combined with complex software routines. Yes, it runs slow, unless
you have a Quad Core with a lot of CPU power, it will run slower than you'd
expect it too.

BUT, it is a PROGRAM, the rest of your system runs normally, and when you
quit the program, like all other programs your system (should) return to
normal.

Old DOS Games + New Operating Systems/New Hardware = Sadness.

"Wogerwabby" wrote:

I have tried to no avail t install and run AAAAANY of my older DOS based
(and
full screen) games that usd to run under XP and earlier. s there a
workaround for this or am I stuck having to run these on an older
machine??

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net

Read the information there. A lot of DOS games run great under DOSBox, some
do not. They actually have a list of which games work on their site
somewhere. If you're comfortable working with DOS programs, then DOSBox
should be easy for you to setup and get running. If you're not used to
editing text files read their tutorials for help.

There are other ways to get DOS games to work, Virtual PC 2007 isn't too bad
if you don't plan to run heavy 3D games, but the sound emulation isn't that
great. DOSBox actually emulates a good ole SB16 and GUS. You'll get better
results with DOSBox.

Respond here if you need help, but if you search around this newsgroup for
DOSBox posts, or search Google you'll find more than enough information to
get your old games running.

Vista doesn't use new drivers, they simply moved the drivers from Kernal
protected ram to User normal ram. Results are you don't have to reboot if
your video driver crashes, but there are some compatibility issues with
older XP drivers. Vista and XP never really ran DOS titles very well, mainly
because PCs no longer use ISA audio cards and a lot of older routines were
simply removed from Windows and todays PC hardware.

Yes, keeping a fully functional Pentium with ISA versions of the Sound
Blaster 16 or Gravis UltraSound is THE best way to ensure your old games
keep working. Hard part is finding hardware that still works. I highly
recommend checking sites like Craigslist.org or ebay.com for hardware. Good
luck.

-A.

Old March 11th 08, 09:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
qhard

Heh, Andy.. I dont know if I catch you right. But it is not impossible make
compatibility with old games on new operating system and on new hardware for
future. Mounting drives is not perforce, you can load MS-DOS from FDD drive
and optimal is it if you are using HDD with FAT16 or FAT32. Yes you can not
use RAM or DDR but sound can be hand on Sound Blaster 16. It is not
impossible for Microsoft make compatibility, but it however is not their
priority.

And yes. In Windows Vista are new graphic drivers and much old will be
removed. Technical support write it about and indicate it for problem between
users and graphic cards manufacturer. I think that is problem between PCs
manufacturer, Microsoft and users.

I dont know that with OS Linux will be better, I must try it. But I suppose
that this problem will be improved early.

Old March 11th 08, 10:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
qhard

Thx for asking Wogerwabby. You can read text that is from Microsoft Windows
Vista Home Premium CZ 32b. Text(in english): Filesystem FAT32 and FAT16 for
DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98mWindows Millennium Edition and DOS. FAT is only
one filesystem compatible with multiboot.

If you want play DOS games you can boot from FDD or CD/DVD(special). Some
DOS application can read NTFS but FAT16 or FAT32 is optional. You can use old
mouse drivers(can be loaded if you are booting"cd mouse""mouse.com").

Try http://bootdisk.com/ .

Old March 24th 08, 09:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Cress

DOSBOX works great both Vista 32 and 64 bit O/S. In the DOSBOX install
folder there is a readme file that addresses problems like the "\". The
forward slash "/" will work as well.

I'm hacking my way thru "Super league of Hoboken", boy does this bring back
memories.
--
Cress

Old March 25th 08, 07:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
bruno21101

hi dont even no if this is in the right section but need help and cant find
how to start a new topic so this is the closest i can find,its my son he
plays downloaded online games,when he downloads them the go on the screen and
they are covered by a shield and wont let him play them have tried all that
we can think of with no joy can someone help please xx