USB Flash Drive Message

Old January 16th 08, 05:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ed.

Default USB Flash Drive Message

I am using Vista Home Premium and copying some files to a USB 2.0 Flash
Drive. I get this message "are you sure you want to copy this folder without
its properties". Then it says to continue skip or cancel.

What does this mean ?

If I click continue, is it OK ? Will I be losing anything ?

If I connect my USB External Hard Drive I have in an Enclosure, the files
copy just fine without this message.

I do notice that the Flash Drive came formatted as FAT32. Does this make any
difference? I don't want to format it to NTFS unless I know it can done
without any problems.

Thanks,
Ed.

Old January 16th 08, 08:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Flash drives use FAT32 by design. NTFS has a lot of overhead on these
devices and so is not used.

You will not lose any file content when you copy to your flash drive. The
file manager handles everything for you. Your usb external hard drive is
most likely formatted NTFS and that is why there are no messages. This all
has absolutely nothing to do with usb. It is all in the file systems being
used.

The only issue folks run into with the flash drives is when they try to copy
a file larger than 4GB. FAT32 cannot handle files larger than that.
However, you will soon be able to buy flash drives formatted with exFAT
(extended FAT). ExFAT can handle files up to 32GB. Vista's file manager
can handle copying between exFAT and NTFS just fine.

Old January 17th 08, 03:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ed.

OK, thank you for the reply and I appreciate that. So are saying the message
due to the FAT32 ? Also that I should not try to format to NTFS ?
Yes you are correct that my External Drive is formatted NTFS.

Thanks Again,
Ed.

Old January 17th 08, 04:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

I would not format a flash drive NTFS. In any case, the properties being
stripped off don't relate to the content of the file so don't be concerned.
The properties relate to NTFS file system properties (security stuff, etc.).

Old January 17th 08, 03:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ed.

Thank You again. Now I understand and won't be concerned about it. My
concern was that if I continued copying with that message that I would lose
something and I didn't want that to happen. One bunch of folders contained
1700 pictures from years past and are too valuable to lose and didn't want
to mess them up.

Your explanation clears it up and now I feel better about it and won't worry
about it.

Thank again,

?