MISSING SATA HARD DRIVE

Old January 17th 08, 01:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Vista_is_the_new_ME

Default MISSING SATA HARD DRIVE

I have a new pc w/ vista, 2 sata hard drives. Everything was fine, then a
week later the slave drive disappeared. The BIOS recognizes the drive, but
Vista doesn't. I've seen enough threads on here w/ no resolution. System
restore is not an answer.

Microsoft - Fix the problem.
Old January 17th 08, 01:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

SATA drives are not master and slave. They each are on separate
controllers.

"Vista_is_the_new_ME" wrote
in message ...

Old January 17th 08, 02:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Is this a laptop or desktop? Is this "slave" drive internal or external?
What were you doing when it "disappeared"? Disappeared from where? How
about some details to work with.

"Vista_is_the_new_ME" wrote in
message ...

Old January 17th 08, 04:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Anilu Regina

I have a similar problem. Perhaps we can help each other. I have a Dell
with an Intel processor running XP. I recently bought a new Acer with an AMD
dual-core processor with Vista on it. I installed the old hard drive from
the Dell into an empty bay in the Acer. My new computer doesn't even show
the old hard drive under My Computer, even though it's connected properly and
Device Manager and CMOS say it's there. Any suggestions? I want the old HD
as is in the new computer--not to have to transfer all the files over and
waste space.
Old January 17th 08, 11:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Vista_is_the_new_ME[_2_]

Details: The computer is a desktop. The "slave" is an internal drive. I was
using the computer for a week and everything was functional. If you search
this forum, a lot of endusers are experiencing the same issue. I was
thinking of what changes occurred prior to to going missing. Windows
autoupdated....so, with that in mind, I did a system restore back to a point
prior to the updates. Bingo, the drive reappears. So, it's seams that
something in one of the patches/updates is the issue. I don't have the time
to do a tiral and error to isolate exactly what udate is causing the issue.

Aren't there any microsoft moderators in this forum to help trouble shoot
theses issues?...or report them to the quality team?

Thanks.

Old January 17th 08, 12:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

No. The public newsgroups are not moderated by MS. The managed newsgroups
on the privatenews servers are moderated.

"Vista_is_the_new_ME" wrote in
message ...

Old February 4th 08, 07:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JaegerNZ

Right click my computer
Storage
Disk Management

Check that they are in there.

--
JaegerNZ
Old March 19th 08, 10:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
theresekirchner

I am having similar issues as above, but with a removeable hard drive (USB).
In disk management, it is not there. The disk is recognized in XP computers
but not in either of my Vista computers. Why? What can I do to solve it?

"JaegerNZ" wrote:

Right click my computer
Storage
Disk Management

Check that they are in there.

--
JaegerNZ

Old March 23rd 08, 12:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
apokon

I'd like to join in too. My second SATA drive disappears from time to time.
It seems to be when it is being heavily used. I have to power off and up then
Vista sees it. This time, I donwloaded the Data Lifeguard rom WDC and ran the
Write Zeros test. No problem there. But, Vista wanted to format the drive
afterwards. OK, but in the middle of the format, the drive disappears. After
powering down and up, Vista does not see the drive but the Data Lifeguard
program does.

In my searches, this seems to be a consistent problem in Vista and so far,
no resolution exists, at least that I have found.