The printer name is invalid - Connect to internet printer

Old January 17th 08, 04:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
danicubos

Default The printer name is invalid - Connect to internet printer

Server 2003 Enterprise R1 SP1 x32

working with IIS6, have a website ...

The website works and I want to complete the add IPP (Internet
Printing Protocol) to "work."

and then I click on the hyperlink Connect, to install the printer
driver on WINDOWS VISTA (business edition) pc .

I get to:
Add Web Printer Connection:
"Do you want to add a printer connection to
http://www.server.com/printers/HP001/.printer?"

I then get Printer Installation. Checking network connection...
" Printer Installation Failed.

The printer name is invalid. "

NOTE : In VISTA Pc I use an account with Administrator privileges,
not the Administrator account, but in both cases it does not work ...

Any help ???

--
danicubos
danicubos's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=39738

http://forums.techarena.in

Old January 17th 08, 07:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

I hit this when protected mode is forced On by our domain policy. You can
add the printer using Add Priner when you run As administrator. You need to
right click on Add Printer in the printers folder to select Run as.

Get the properties from the printer wed page for Network Name:

http://server/printers/printshare/.printer

Launch Add Printer as admin, Network printer, Not listed

this will bring up the next page with the connect to edit box. Paste your
information http://server/printers/printshare/.printer
into the box. Next

Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base he

Old January 17th 08, 09:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
danicubos[_2_]

About the RUN AS admin, I think is the same that disabling UAC ...
right ???, well anyway, I did all you said me ... but it did not work

Appears a dialog box with this error :

" Windows cannot connect to the printer. Make sure that you have typed
the name correctly, and that the printer is connected to network. "

The printer is connected to network and working, because if i add that
internet printer from WINDOWS XP or 2000 pc, it works ...

any idea ???

Old January 30th 08, 03:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
danicubos[_3_]

Sorry. The " Add Printer Connection " for VISTA is not working yet ...

What could is wrong ???

From Windows XP there is not problem, when I click on CONNECT button, it
installs the printer driver on PC ... but for Vista when I press that button
the message error is "The Printer name is invalid".

What thing could I check ???

ports ??? any patch or service pack for server ??? IIS ???

I will thank you for any help ...

Old January 10th 10, 09:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
lcds722

I hit this while repairing a friends PC. They have windows XP SP3 and
they were attempting to share the printer on another PC. it took me a
bit to figure this out but I finally looked at the security tab in
Control Panel. I then went to Security tab and I found they had 2
firewalls installed. One was windows and the other McAfee. I turned off
the windows firewall and it connected fine.

I am not sure if this was your issue but I wanted to post this for
others as well.

--
lcds722
lcds722's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/172837.htm