Extend Volume

Old January 20th 08, 05:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
R. C. White

Default Extend Volume

Hi, Derek.

I'm glad it worked for you! And thanks for the feedback! ;)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

"Derek Da Silva" wrote in message
news
Hi RC,

It worked! I was able to make my system drive (C larger.

Thank you everyone for your advice,

"R. C. White" wrote:

Hi, Derek.

Yes, Vista CAN extend the System Volume - IF there is CONTIGUOUS free
space
immediately following that volume. But the System Volume cannot be a
"dynamic volume", so it can't use non-contiguous space.

Depending on what is in that 50 GB Drive D:, you MAY be able to do what
you
want in multiple steps. For example, if only 20 GB of the 50 is used,
then
this plan can work, using only Disk Management and other tools built into
Vista...

1. Defrag Drive D: to be sure that all that 20 GB is at the front of
that
volume.

2. Shrink Drive D: to 30 GB (leaving plenty of elbow room, just in
case).

3. Create and format a new 30 GB Drive X: in the space following Drive
D:. There was 10 GB there before, and we just freed 20 GB more in Step
2.

4. Use Xcopy.exe or Robocopy.exe or even good old Windows Explorer to
MOVE everything from Drive D: to Drive X:.

5. Delete Drive X:. This will leave 30 GB of contiguous free space
following Drive C:.

6. Extend Drive C:. It will default to the full 30 GB that is
available,
making your new Drive C: 50 GB. With your 30 GB Drive X:, you will have
no
free space left.

7. Rename Drive X: to Drive D:.

You might prefer to limit Drive C: in Step 6; if so, be sure to note that
the wizard specifies space in MEGABYTES, not GIGABYTES. To extend Drive
C:
by 10 GB, you must enter 10,000, not 10! (Yes, I've made this mistake -
more than once.)

Many variations are possible, depending on how much of Drive D: is
already
used, and on how far you want to extend Drive C:, and on whether you want
any free space left after all this. I'll leave all those variations for
your own calculations.

RC

"Derek Da Silva" wrote in
message
Hi Everyone,

I have a 80Gb HD. I created a C: volume of 20GB and the 50GB went to
another new volume (D: drive). I have 10GB of unallocated space.

I recently noticed I need more HD space on the C: drive. I went into
the
Disk MGMT tools and when I attempted extend the C volume the Extend
operation
was greyed out.

How do I extend my C: drive so that the remaining 10GB of unallocated
space
goes to my C: d rive?

Thank you,

Old July 2nd 08, 04:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
gurveen

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

"Derek Da Silva" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,

I have a 80Gb HD. I created a C: volume of 20GB and the 50GB went to
another new volume (D: drive). I have 10GB of unallocated space.

I recently noticed I need more HD space on the C: drive. I went into the
Disk MGMT tools and when I attempted extend the C volume the Extend
operation
was greyed out.

How do I extend my C: drive so that the remaining 10GB of unallocated
space
goes to my C: d rive?

Thank you,

Backup C: and D:. Test the backup. Back everything up again to different
media. Defrag C:. Delete the partition D: resides in. Leave the space as
unallocated. Reboot. Extend the C: partition by 10 GB. I'd actually
recommend more than that if Vista resides on this partition. 40 GB would be
a better number. Create a new partition in the remaining space and format
it. Restore the backup to this new partition.

The partition resizing features in Vista are quite primitive. The above
procedure may still fail. You may have to use 3rd party software to
accomplish this.

It is imperative you backup before trying this no matter what software or
method you use. Playing with partition tables is an open invitation to
Murphy. You could easily lose either or both partitions.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

I am pretty much facung the same problem.............I also have a recovery disk which i dont want to remove..........Can i backup that also..........?????

Old August 29th 11, 02:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
lu lu

I believed you have solved your problem. But here I like to share this article about how to extend c drive without rebooting hoping can help anyone else who has a similar situation.
http://www.partition-tool.com/resour...nd-c-drive.htm

On Friday, January 18, 2008 11:04 AM Synapse Syndrome wrote:

"Derek Da Silva" wrote in message

I don't think that the Disk Management can resize system drives, but Acronis
Disk Director can, as it reboots and does it outside Windows. It is
possible that the trial version will be able to do this without you having
to buy the full product.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing.../diskdirector/

ss.

On Friday, January 18, 2008 11:07 AM Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

Working Around Windows Vista's "Shrink Volume" Inadequacy Problems:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...uacy-problems/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Derek Da Silva" wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I have a 80Gb HD. I created a C: volume of 20GB and the 50GB went to
another new volume (D: drive). I have 10GB of unallocated space.

I recently noticed I need more HD space on the C: drive. I went into the
Disk MGMT tools and when I attempted extend the C volume the Extend operation
was greyed out.

How do I extend my C: drive so that the remaining 10GB of unallocated space
goes to my C: d rive?

Thank you,

On Friday, January 18, 2008 11:18 AM MICHAEL wrote:

Vista's Disk Management can resize partitions.

Although, I use Disk Director, too.

-Michael

On Friday, January 18, 2008 11:20 AM Synapse Syndrome wrote:

But he is trying to extend the volume, not shrink it, so immovable system
files will not need to be moved.

ss.

On Friday, January 18, 2008 11:23 AM Synapse Syndrome wrote:

"MICHAEL" wrote in message

Yeah, I know it can resize partitions, but I meant system partitions. It
seems that it can do those as well anyway, but I have never used it. I
wonder how it can resize a live Windows partition without exiting Windows,
like the way Partition Magic did, or Disk Director does.

ss.

On Friday, January 18, 2008 12:08 PM R. C. White wrote:

[...]

On Friday, January 18, 2008 12:28 PM R. C. White wrote:

Whoops! I've edited Step 5, below. Delete Drive D:, of course, not Drive
X:.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

"R. C. White" wrote in message

On Friday, January 18, 2008 8:16 PM Kerry Brown wrote:

[...]

On Wednesday, July 02, 2008 12:56 PM gurvee wrote:

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

On Monday, December 21, 2009 9:12 PM Consrv wrote:

You need to move D: drive to the end of the disk, then have 10GB unallocated space after the C: drive, now "Extend volume" option will be activated.

An instruction: http://www.extend-partition.com/exte...partition.html to help some.

On Friday, July 09, 2010 5:44 AM maffea tom wrote:

you can not resize dynamic volume directly,except the simple and spanned volume.the to other volume,is impossible(except under the operating system Windows7/Vista/2008.you should read know more information--Dynamic Disk Partition Management and Extend, Shrink, Resize Dynamic Volume.http://www.dynamic-disk.com/resource...on-volume.html

Old August 30th 12, 09:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
[email protected]

On Friday, January 18, 2008 11:51:01 PM UTC+8, Derek Da Silva wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have a 80Gb HD. I created a C: volume of 20GB and the 50GB went to
another new volume (D: drive). I have 10GB of unallocated space.

I recently noticed I need more HD space on the C: drive. I went into the
Disk MGMT tools and when I attempted extend the C volume the Extend operation
was greyed out.

How do I extend my C: drive so that the remaining 10GB of unallocated space
goes to my C: d rive?

Thank you,

I once to downloaded and installed AOMEI partition assistant version 5.1 and used it to resize a small partition. I must say I was delighted in how good and efficient the software was.
Just a note to say very well done. So I'd like to recommend it to all you friends and you can download the software from CNET http://download.cnet.com/Aomei-Parti...=dl&tag=button
Old September 2nd 12, 08:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
[email protected]

HOW IS YOUR MALE VAGINA DOING KIM? WHEN I SAY THREAD CLOSED: IT MEANS THREAD CLOSED! NOW REFORMAT YOUR COMPUTER AND INSTALL OPEN SOURCE LINUX UBUNTU! JUST FYI! THREAD CLOSED!