vista won't recognize hard drive in explorer but does in disk mgt

Old January 18th 08, 03:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
codemonkey

Default vista won't recognize hard drive in explorer but does in disk mgt

I recently installed vista ultimate 32bit on my hp d530 cmt. All looked good
at first. I installed it on a new 250gb WD sata drive. I also have a sata
dvd-rw which is all good but took up my last sata port (only 2). Now I put
in a new IDE seagate drive 500gb. At first vista recognized it and then I
plugged in an external drive and all hell broke loose. The external drive
wouldn't recognize and I tried google and tried a few things in the windows
directory with infocache.1 and usbstor.sys and such but nothing worked. Now
my ide drive won't recognize either. Oddly it IS in disk management but will
not display in windows explorer.
ok so now I tried removing the ide controllers from device manager and tried
to let it auto reload them and that didn't work. Vista cannot find the
drivers for the controllers even if I point it to windows\system32\drivers.
HP has no chipset drivers available for vista. I tried the ones for xp and
they won't install. Please HELP!
Old January 18th 08, 03:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cal Bear '66[_2_]

In Disk Management, did you partition, format and assign a drive letter(s) to
the disk?

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

Old January 18th 08, 03:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
codemonkey

Default vista won't recognize hard drive in explorer but does in disk

oh yes i did this. I had to do this for it to work originally. I have tried
to do it again since and it appears to work but then i get an error at the
end saying that the disk mgt viewer is not up to date and to refresh. The
drive will never show up up the top panel of disk mgt showing its drive
letter. It does show up in the bottom panel though.

Old January 19th 08, 10:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
BirgerH

There seems to be a conflict between the internal IDE connector and the
IDE-Slot (which I suppose is the connection for the external drive, and not
USB?).
Have you tried the BIOS - make it autodetect the drives - and if it cannot -
look at the IDE settings.
I don't think, it is VIsta who won't recognize the drive.
--
BirgerH