Vista x64 Ultimate (OEM version) on Dell D820

Old January 19th 08, 11:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tom Lake[_2_]

Default Vista x64 Ultimate (OEM version) on Dell D820

"Jane C" wrote in message
According to this:

http://www.intel.com/products/proces...rt/coreduo.htm

variants of the T2500 have VT, which is only availalbe on 64 bit cpus.

Not at all. VT is available on 32-bit chips as well. EM64T is the Intel
method of running 64-bit programs and it isn't present on the T2500
but VT is.

Tom Lake

Old January 19th 08, 11:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

I have a Core Duo (32-bit) that has VT.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
MVP Windows Shell/User

"Tom Lake" wrote in message

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote in message
Then why does Dell list Vista x64 drivers for the D820? I never heard
of an Intel Core 2 Duo, Centrino or otherwise, that was not 64-bit.
Where did you get the info that this machine was not 64-bit capable?

Go to

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/rese...sors/index.htm

and you'll see that Intel Extended Memory 64 (Intel EM64T) is NOT a
feature of the T2500.

Dell includes 64-bit drivers because a 64-bit capable CPU is optional in
the D820.
Unfortunately, you didn't get one of the higher-end processors.

Tom Lake

Old January 19th 08, 11:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious

I think the problem here is that some of us have been talking about Core 2
Duo chips being 64 bit capable, however, the OP has a T2500 chip which is a
Core Duo chip and not a Core 2 Chip and therefore it is not 64 bit capable.
"Colin Barnhorst" wrote in message
Nonsense. The manufacturer is not going to list drivers for x64 just on
the chance a customer might upgrade a cpu. They are listing drivers for
the machine in factory condition. Show me a Core 2 Solo, Duo, or Quad
that is not a 64-bit cpu. Only the Core Solo and Duo are not 64-bit.

Old January 20th 08, 12:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jane C

I stand corrected. I always thought that Virtualization Technology was
limited to the 64 bit CPUs.

Old January 21st 08, 07:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kjeld_h[_2_]

Kjeld_h;577995 Wrote:
Hi
I have a Dell D820 w. 1 GB RAM.
When I try to install Vista and the computer is loading the DVD - I'am
told that the pc/cpu is not able to load a 64 bit appl.
It is a Intel T2500 @ 2.0 Ghz. CPU.
I have tryed to change/setup the BIOS (version 7) any posible way.
Have anyone tryed to install Vista x64 on a Dell D820? Please help...

Thank you all very much.:geek:

I have learn that D820 comes with different CPU´s - The T2500 is not
able to run x64 appl. - I have have another D820 with T7200 and I tryed
to install Vista x64 Ultimate - and it works just fine...
The tool from MS doesn't reveal or support anything regarding x32 or
x64.
The CPU tool CPU-z don't reveal anything regarding x32 or x64 either.
I/we bought 20 Dell D820´s and got two different CPU´s - the T2500 and
the T7200 and unfortunently only one run x64 Vista - but once again -
Thank you all very much for helping out...

--
Kjeld_h
Old January 23rd 08, 07:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jerryw4386

"Kjeld_h" wrote:

Kjeld_h;577995 Wrote:
[...]

When you use cpuz where it says instructions if you see EM64T
it is a 64 bit CPU !
I cant remember what it says for a 32 bit CPU i do not have
computer with a 32 bit CPU !
Good Luck