Anyone trying 8GB of memory on Vista 64?

Old January 19th 08, 06:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Noel[_6_]

Default Anyone trying 8GB of memory on Vista 64?

I am putting together a new build and since PC-6400 DDR2 is sooo cheap I
thought I might consider 8GB on an X38 board.

I already have 2x2GB dimms, and was guessing if I went to 8GB it might
be nice to have 4 identical DIMMS, which are still available (ie,
another 2x2gb of the pair I have now).

Anyone have wisdom about this? My main uses NOW are MS Flight
Simulator, Gigastudio, and both of those benefit from at least 3GB,
beyond that I don't know. I don't forsee video editing . . .

Thanks for your replies,

Noel

--
Noel
Old January 19th 08, 07:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

You may have much better luck with pc5300 ram. This newsgroup has dozens of
postings on the problems of trying to use pc6400 ram in all four dimm slots
on many mobos. I am running 3 2GB dimms in this machine now because it will
not boot with all 4 slots filled. The amount of memory is not the issue but
the number of dimms used seems to be. Research your mobo on the
manufacturer's website and especially the user forums there. And read the
threads on this newsgroup on similar problems with ram.

Old January 19th 08, 06:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper [MVP]

At the moment, the big "thud" in memory usage is games. Few games can take
advantage of more than 4gb of memory and some actually quit working if there
is more than 4gb of memory available to them. So it may not benefit you to
add more memory now and you might even see things that are working ... quit
working.

Old January 20th 08, 12:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Noel[_7_]

'Richard G. Harper [MVP Wrote:
;578589']At the moment, the big "thud" in memory usage is games. Few
games can take
advantage of more than 4gb of memory and some actually quit working if
there
is more than 4gb of memory available to them. So it may not benefit you
add more memory now and you might even see things that are working ...
quit
working.

I guess everything will be on a case by case basis. I am def going to
dual boot to Vista 64 & XP 32, and so will just have to experiment and
see how it goes. The take home message everywhere I ask this question
is basically, "It all depends . . ." I wish to use 8GB for Gigastudio
primarily, on Vista 64, for which there is a new release.

--
Noel
Old January 20th 08, 04:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Like I said, try it with pc5300, not pc6400. By the way, dual booting XP
and Vista on a production or primary home computer is not a good idea. All
of the VSS files used by Vista's recovery facilities are wiped out on each
boot into XP. That means restore points, previous versions files,
CompletePC Backup images, and backup files made by the new file backup
program just vanish. If you are testing or gaming this is not a big deal,
but if you are into videos and photos and such you might not want to risk
your capability of recovering from a file problem.

Old January 20th 08, 12:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jawade

In article , Colin Barnhorst
says...
Like I said, try it with pc5300, not pc6400. By the way, dual booting XP
and Vista on a production or primary home computer is not a good idea. All
of the VSS files used by Vista's recovery facilities are wiped out on each
boot into XP. That means restore points, previous versions files,
CompletePC Backup images, and backup files made by the new file backup
program just vanish. If you are testing or gaming this is not a big deal,
but if you are into videos and photos and such you might not want to risk
your capability of recovering from a file problem.

It's a good idea to use a 3th party bootmanager.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten, Jawade. Weer veel vernieuwd!
http://jawade.nl/ Met een mirror op http://jawade.fortunecity.com/
Old January 20th 08, 02:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

That has been tried since early in the beta test program and did no good.
None of the favorites among boot managers hide the Vista volume in such a
way as to prevent the problem.

"Jawade" wrote in message
In article , Colin
Barnhorst
says...

Old January 20th 08, 03:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious

Is this true if the OSs are on two different HDDs as well as when in 2
partitions on the same HDD?

Old January 20th 08, 03:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Volsnap.sys enumerates VSS files systemwide. It doesn't care about the
configuration. It does not distinguish between partitions or drives. It
only cares about volumes (things with drive letters).

Old January 20th 08, 03:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DevilsPGD

In message
"Curious" wrote:

Is this true if the OSs are on two different HDDs as well as when in 2
partitions on the same HDD?

Yes. Anything that mounts the drive will cause this issue.