Threads in Forum : General Vista Help and Support Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
start.exe by ER
I was wondering if start.exe is part of windows. I did a google search and it said start.exe might be a spyware program. I ran performance information and tools and it says start.exe is causing windows to shut down slowly. I am wondering if I can remove this program. It is located in C:/Windows
November 23rd 07 11:01 PM
by Mykas0 Go to last post
2 194
how to enable the remote assistence in vista by er
i found that i cant enable the remote assistence in vista which is in office. i try to disable the firewall and i have local admin right but still can't enable. anyone can help me? thx a lot~
May 9th 08 08:06 AM
by er Go to last post
1 199
vista share drive problem by er
i have one vista business which share some folder name "share" and i have a xp sp2 pc which will always connect to this share drive. however, i found that sometimes my xp pc can't connect to vista pc until my vista reboot. i dont know what is the problem is. when all xp cant connect to vista, other vista pc still can connect to this vista pc i have already reinstall this vista pc, but problem...
May 14th 08 02:25 AM
by er Go to last post
2 208
vista ent net use problem by er
i found that i can't use net use command to map lpt1 in vista ent version, but i can map lpt2. anyone know what is the problem in vista ent? i test in vista business, i can map lpt1 and lpt2. in vista ent, when i type "net use lpt1 \\server\printer" it needs me to enter user name and pasword, however i tried all user still can't map. however, i type "net use lpt2 \\server\printer" , it is...
July 10th 08 02:52 AM
by er Go to last post
0 245
Vista Anytime Upgrade -- 36 Hrs + by Er
Hi, I purchased an HP Pavillion with Vista Home Premium pre-installed. The Are You Vista Ready Utility approved my computer with flying colours. Then I purchased the Vista Anytime Upgrade for Vista Ultimate and got the DVD in the mail. I inserted it, ran the "Upgrade" and now the upgrade process has been stuck on "Completing Upgrade..." for over 24 Hrs now. Still the little dots are moving...
August 15th 07 02:50 PM
by Cal Bear '66 Go to last post
8 180
Vista always hang and then black screen by er
Does anyone have this problem. our company used Vista Business. lots of user complaint that when they doing anything, e.g. typing document or anything, windows suddenly hang and then black screen. I can't type con+alt+del. no respond unless I hard reboot the pc. anyone can help me? I checked that its not the hdd hardware problem. thx a lot
March 26th 10 02:47 AM
by er Go to last post
0 334
Connection issue - Public WiFi by ER
I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 with Intel wireless card and experienced issues (could not connect to the internet) connecting through a public WiFi access point. It appeared as though IE could not be re-directed to the ISP login page and thus never allowed actual Internet connectivity. The wireless signal strength was fine.
May 17th 07 11:11 AM
by ER Go to last post
2 167
Software removal by er65nsunny
I am running Vista 32 bit. I have XP power toys installed and forgot to remove them prior to installing Vista. I tried to remove them in Vista but it will not let me. Is their anyother way to remove these programs.
October 19th 07 02:34 PM
by er65nsunny Go to last post
2 181
Video quality problems playing wmr files in WMP11 by Eran
Hi all and happy new year. Using Vista and WMP11 (with DirectX 10), the video playing .wmr files is very poor. I have a flashing green line along the bottom. There is ghosting in the video as well as flashing yellow shapes. (These files play fine on Windows 2000 on the same machine.) Other files such as .asf play fine. DVD video works fine too. I unchecked "Turn on DirectX Video Acceleration...
February 7th 07 03:57 PM
by Luke Ng Go to last post
3 211
Mute All does not work by Eran
Hi all, Using Vista with Creative SBLive. Pressing the mute all in volume control and volume mixer does not mute the speakers, it only grays the volume bar. However, muting the individual items in the mixer does mute that item. Is this a bug? Eran
December 16th 06 11:43 PM
by Eran Go to last post
0 181
Copy/Pasting by Eras
When I copy/paste in Vista using the keyboard shortcuts, 95% of the time the cursor will go the the end of the page. It's really, really annoying. It seems to work ok if I right-click+copy, but having to do that all the time is just as annoying. So, is this a Vista 'feature' or is there something I can do to stop the cursor from flying to the bottom? Thanks
May 16th 08 11:09 AM
by Eras Go to last post
0 194
Cloning by Erdna
Maybe not the right forum, but this is my question: If I want to clone a FAT 32 disk to a preformatted NTFS new disk. Is the cloning process then automatically going to change (re-format) the preformatted NTFS system on the target disk to FAT32, or do I have to first re-format the NTFS disk to FAT 32 before cloning? P.S. I want to keep FAT32 for some MAC/PC issues. Thanks for any advise.
April 9th 10 04:54 AM
by ashvin Go to last post
3 288
FTP associon problem by erdna
I am no longer able to associate e.g. internet explorer to ftp, because FTP (also HTTP, HTTPS0) is missing in the "Set associations" window (control paneldefault programsassociate fyletype..). This problem means that I am unable to op FTP sites. Anybody know how to solve this problem. Thanks for any help
June 11th 11 01:14 PM
by erdna Go to last post
0 220
affordable graphics editing software that works with Vista by ERE
I need to find an affordable graphics editing software that will work well with Vista...something with cloning tools, hue/tone adjustments, all kinds of things...to work creatively not only with photos, but to construct graphics. I was using Micrografx 8 with XP SP2 and it worked well...with this new computer I have now with Vista on it, it won't work at all...and Micrografx is no longer...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 13th 07 06:38 AM
by dennis@home Go to last post
14 599
internet pop up by eresen
for no apparent reason i get a window that pops up on occasion that gives me the error, "navigation to web page was canceled" How do I isolate the program that is causing these errors and then how to i resolve the issue?
June 9th 07 02:20 AM
by eresen Go to last post
0 153
Can't connect XBOX 360 to Vista PC by Erga
Hey, Just go myself a Vista Home premium and the disappointment was enormous when I noticed that my new PC just keeps crashing anytime I try to configure XBOX360 as media center extender. Everything goes just fine until the PC starts to run the connection checklist. After it reaches the second last checkbox, the whole PC hangs every time :(
August 2nd 07 09:32 PM
by zachd [MSFT] Go to last post
3 209
Automation error 440 by ERGOL
HI I installed Office XP on my Vista laptop. Access applications that used toi work very well on Windows XP now fail when using Word or Excel ressources. The error is Automation Error 440. References and well defined, Excel.olb or MSWORD.olb exist in the directory. What should I do to solve this very annoying problem ? Thank's for your answers.
December 18th 07 07:45 AM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
1 214
Scrollbars Aero by Erhard Glueck
Hello, in Windows Aero I tried to accentuate the scrollbars for a little bit. But in 'Advanced Appearance' for Appearance Settings, modifications are not allowed. Thanks for your tip Erhard
October 14th 07 12:00 PM
by Erhard Glueck Go to last post
2 198
How to restore the tima date of change for folders by Erhard Glueck
Hello! Please, is it possible to restore the date of change belonging folders? This for transfer of certain folders from my old computer running Windows 2000 Prof., to my new one with Vista Ultimate. I tried WINZIP and Windows NT Backup Restore Utility. Thank you for your tip. Erhard
August 30th 07 08:51 PM
by Synapse Syndrome Go to last post
7 267
unblock .chm files quickly by Erhard Glueck
Please, how to unblock .chm help files quickly and well? Last, I modified the security settings to allow full control for me, before I was able to unblock. I think, I should have to restore the security settings for this file, but I don't remember the settings before.
October 25th 07 12:50 AM
by The M Guy Go to last post

From The