Threads in Forum : General Vista Help and Support Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file by otterit
VISTA is generating a strange error when I click "Search Everywhere" from the search box: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item. Has anyone ever seen this error with the "Seach Everywhere" feature?
December 4th 09 04:54 PM
by mukeshdak[_2_] Go to last post
1 465
shutting down without the start button ? by KRK
Hello, Is there a way of shutting down or restarting without going via the Start button? I'm guessing that there are command line commands to do it? If so what are they and how do I get a command line prompt on the desktop without going via the start button again ? Thanks
December 4th 09 04:45 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
6 591
Vista Corrupted To Near Unusability -- No Recovery Disks by Vista User[_13_]
My Vista Home Premium (SP2) is corrupted to near unusability. Proof? 1. I click the Firewall control panel and I get an error "Error loading firewall.cpl. Firewall.cpl is not a valid win32 application" It sure is not valid: when I go to C:\Windows\System32\Firewall.cpl, it shows a file of ZERO bytes! 2. I try to click the Windows program installation/repair/removal control panel, and...
December 4th 09 04:39 PM
by Charlie Tame Go to last post
6 615
Extract All Button for Unzipping Gone. by arico
When I compress a folder it compresses, for uncompressing the extract all button is missing. What I had did? Recently I opened a zipped file with notepad, since then I cannot uncompress any compressed file, when I right click a compressed file, it gives me an option OPEN WITH that’s to chose either notepad, word pad etc. but I cant find any Extract all button. Also the logo on this...
December 4th 09 03:34 PM
by arico Go to last post
3 619
Vista wants to try an install the same update repeatedly by Alex McFarlane[_2_]
Dear All, My laptop running Vista Ultimate wants to keep installing the following two updates: Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 and Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 I install them, install updates and shut down. When I re-boot an icon in the task bar suggests to me to install the same updates again! I've done this 5 times! Just how...
December 4th 09 01:47 PM
by Mr. Arnold Go to last post
1 427
Vertical Taskbar loses Width after logout and standby or hibernate by Linus Schroeder
Hi NG, I prefer to use a vertical Taskbar in Windows Vista and 7. However, everytime I log out and log back in or return from standby or hibernation , the width changes and I have to reset it. The taskbar is locked and the next time I log in it is no longer the correct width and I have unlock it in order to fix it. How can I get the width to stick when using the vertical taskbar?
December 4th 09 12:11 PM
by Linus Schroeder Go to last post
0 397
Windows is resuming by norman
Hi i hope someone can help me im on windows vista basic .I turned on my laptop to find the words WINDOWS IS RESUMING on a blank screen and now my laptop is stuck and nothing seems to work .
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 4th 09 12:01 PM
by yahir Go to last post
10 1,206
Remote Desktop - Help! by The Magnet
Hi, I'm trying to enable Remote Desktop in Vista. When I go to Remote Settings the window only seems to have the top half filled in. Meaning that I see only 1 checkbox "Allow Remote Assistance connections to this computer". There is no radio buttons on the bottom half as there is in all the examples on the web. My windows firewall is off. I am running McAfee.
December 4th 09 11:21 AM
by Charlie Tame Go to last post
7 530
SideBar Gadget Problem by arico
Hi my full desktop is filled with sidebar gadgets, but I am facing a strange problem, the gadgets keep on moving from right (hand side) to left, the movement though is very slow. I have found that it moves only when I start the laptop. Can I stop this movement. -- arico
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 3rd 09 10:09 PM
by gls858 Go to last post
10 792
Windows 7 USB - Problems by Pascal
Hi all, sorry, but i did not find a Windows 7 forum. We have the following Problem: for some Clients USB is not working correctly for Example: we are Using Polycom CX 200 USB Phones. After some time there is no sound
December 3rd 09 08:56 PM
by Frank-FL Go to last post
2 485
AlphabetIcal PLEASE by Sheardy
::I need to be able to put lists into alphabeical order, such an easy task on windows XP. Surely this useful device has not been omitted on my new Vista......but I cannot find it. Can you help?:(:: -- Sheardy
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 3rd 09 08:39 PM
by ashvin Go to last post
10 789
DID I TELL YOU THAT THERE ARE LOTS OF 64 BIT VERSIONS OF PROGRAMS FOR WINDOWS? by ALVIN JON PUTZKE, JR
THERE ARE LOTS OF 64 BIT VERSIONS OF PROGRAMS FOR WINDOWS THAT RUN WELL IN WINDOWS 64 BIT MODE SO YOU DON'T NEED TO USE WINDOWS 32 BIT MODE. THAT WAY THE COMPUTER WILL RUN WITH MORE MEMORY AND IT WILL RUN FASTER BECAUSE IT WILL USE MORE MEMORY AND THERE WILL BE MORE MEMORY TO USE BECAUSE THE 64 BIT VERSION WILL USE MORE MEMORY. I HOOPE THAT EXPLAINS IT.
December 3rd 09 07:03 PM
by smlunatick Go to last post
2 406
MY DOG LICKED HIMSELF WHILE USING WINDOWS 7 64 BIT by ALVIN JON PUTZKE, JR
JUST FYI
December 3rd 09 12:49 PM
by ALVIN JON PUTZKE, JR Go to last post
0 369
Hyperlink display balloon problem in Vista and MS Outlook 2007 by ragmaniac
In all Windows Vista Home Premium (Outlook) windows of email messages, WHENEVER I move my ordinary wireless laser mouse pointer (not a touch pad, not a pen) onto a hyperlink, an immediate little window opens up to give me the exact same hyperlink information, such as, for example: "http://groups.google.com/group/ microsoft.public.windows.vista.general" This redundant hyperlink information is...
December 3rd 09 11:35 AM
by ragmaniac Go to last post
1 388
Desktop does not appear when booting by Michael Chare
I have a copy of Vista which does not start properly in normal or safe mode. The desktop does not appear. When the PC boots I can sign on, but the screen with 'Windows' and a green background just remains and the disk light continues to flash. If I leave the PC long enough it goes to sleep and then will restart in this state. CTRL+ALT+DEL does not start the taskmanager. I can boot the PC...
December 3rd 09 10:32 AM
by Michael Go to last post
4 371
Auto log-off after 10 minutes - How do I disable? by [email protected]
About a week ago, a very irritating behaviour started on my Vista Ultimate machine at home: If left alone for approx 5 - 10 minutes, the machine makes a 'pinging' sound and displays the "Welcome" screen with a little icon displaying my Vista username. In order to continue with what I was doing, I have to click the little icon, listen to a pinging sound and wait for a few seconds while...
December 3rd 09 07:45 AM
by Wheeler202 Go to last post
6 487
VISTA IT SELF WILL EXPIRE IN 2012! by KEVIN JOHN PANZKE
ALL VERSIONS OF WINDOWS VISTA SP2, EXCEPT ENTERPRISE AND BUSINESS EDITIONS WILL EXPIRE ON APRIL 10TH, 2012! EXTENDED SUPORT WILL BE AVAILABLE 4 ENTERPRISE AND BUSINESS EDITIONS UNTIL APRIL 11TH, 2017!
December 3rd 09 06:41 AM
by KEVIN JOHN PANZKE Go to last post
0 384
Disk Defragmenter Question by JamesJ[_4_]
Is it normal for Disk Defragmenter to Analyze the disk AFTER it defragments? I know it does it before and then I click 'Defrag Now' and it proceeds to defrag my hard drive. But today I was watching it and noticed that all of a sudden it stopped defragmenting and the info changed to 'Analyzing disk...'. Thanks, James
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 3rd 09 06:36 AM
by Poutnik Go to last post
16 782
VISTA SP1 SUPPORT WILL EXPIRE IN 2011! by KEVIN JOHN PANZKE
A MESSAGE 4 WHS: WINDOWS VISTA SERVICE PACK 1 SUPPORT WILL EXPIRE ON JULY 12th, 2011! UPGRADE 2 SERVICE PACK 2 IMMEDIATELY OR UP GRADE 2 WINDOWS 7 IMMEDIATELY!
December 3rd 09 06:30 AM
by KEVIN JOHN PANZKE Go to last post
0 368
ONLY 29 MORE DAYS UNTIL NEW YEAR! by KEVIN JOHN PANZKE
ONLY 29 MORE DAYS UNTIL NEW YEAR!
December 3rd 09 06:24 AM
by KEVIN JOHN PANZKE Go to last post

From The