Threads in Forum : General Vista Help and Support Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
svchost CPU spikes by Sebastiaan[_2_]
Installed a machine at work with Vista business. From the moment I log on I have a svchost.exe using 70% on core1 and 30% on core2 for 2 seconds and then going idle for 4 seconds. And it keeps doing that even if I don't have anything open or am doing anything. In resource monitor it says that the process is: svchost.exe (LocalSystemNetworkRestricted). Screenshot:...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 4th 08 03:21 PM
by Synapse Syndrome[_2_] Go to last post
11 528
Wrong Trend PC-Cillin by NormL[_2_]
I downloaded the wrong file for PC-cillin Internet Security 2008. By that, I mean I downloaded the 64-bit version and when I ran it, I was told to download the 32-bit version and run that one. I did what was said and it works fine. BUT!!! I now have 2 shortcuts on my desktop, 1 for the 32-bit (works fine) and 1 for the 64-bit version (doesn't work). So I tried to delete the 64-bit shortcut,...
June 4th 08 03:08 PM
by NormL[_3_] Go to last post
2 341
windows explorer not show floppy a: by emobog
windows explorer not show floppy a: model : NEC FD 1231H current driver \system32\drivers\fdc.sys
June 4th 08 02:28 PM
by emobog Go to last post
5 363
Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) error Event ID 32 & 8193 by SirTurtlehead
I continue to receive the VSS error Event ID 32 and 8193. When this happens, my computer freezes then goes to blue screen where I see IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL along with other information. There is no pattern when this happens. It is extremely random. I am running Vista Ultimate 64bit Service Pack 1. I am also running a 3rd party backup, Carbonite. Please let me know if more information on my...
June 4th 08 02:22 PM
by SirTurtlehead Go to last post
3 361
Error Code Analysis by kh
When my computer has been put to sleep, sometimes when I return to it after a good while (ca. 4 hours to overnight), the OS (Vista SP1) will reboot and report that it has recovered from a serious error. I cannot interpret the error codes--can someone else? This has happened sporadically, perhaps once a week, since I got the machine less than one month ago. The brand-new machine is:
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 4th 08 01:52 PM
by kh Go to last post
10 601
Mouse (driver?) problems by mlstyles
I suspect my Vista mouse drivers are corrupt. Symptoms: Corded USB mouse--cursor all of a sudden flies into the bottom right corner of the taskbar and refuses to more, despite mouse movement. Alternatively, cursor becomes very sluggish and it takes repeated mouse movements (10 - 15) to get it to desired position. After approx. 60 seconds, it returns to normal function. Cordless, optical...
June 4th 08 01:36 PM
by mlstyles Go to last post
2 375
Should I install SP1 manually? by Birk Binnard
Windows Update has not yet installed SP1 on my Vista Home Premium system. Should I install it manually? -- Birk Binnard http://www.birkbinnard.com
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 4th 08 01:33 PM
by Charlie42[_2_] Go to last post
15 568
Which disk or partition is "\Device\Harddisk1\DR1"? by vx
Which disk or partition is "\Device\Harddisk1\DR1"?
June 4th 08 01:26 PM
by Colon Terminus Go to last post
4 351
windows by cyndielyn
my windows keeps opening a ton of windows and i cant close them unless i just log off what can i try to fix this
June 4th 08 12:36 PM
by Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM Go to last post
5 354
How to completely remove AVG from computer by Denise[_4_]
Hi thankyou for all the help in choosing an alternative anti virus program to AVG to run on Vista Home Premium. I have opted for the free home edition of Avast, I'll see how that goes, failing that I'm thinking about purchasing the NOD 32 Anti Virus. I have uninstalled AVG, but notice there are still components left on my computer, I really want to remove the whole shebang of AVG as I don't...
June 4th 08 12:29 PM
by Charlie Tame Go to last post
3 329
Virus? Taskbar/icons do not show up by Jordan
I believe I may have a virus on my computer that is interfering with normal functions. My taskbar and desktop icons appear and disappear. A system restore did not work and I removed any suspicious items Webroot Spysweep, but I still can only run things by bringing up the Task Manager. Does anyone know what else I can do to try to fix the problem? Or even know what the problem is?...
June 4th 08 12:24 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
2 401
Vista sometimes freezes when goes to sleep mode by MxM
Hello, I have the following problem that has not been resolved by any patch or newer drivers. When Vista goes to sleep mode - it does not always do it correctly, instead, it freezes half way into the sleep mode. Namely, my monitor becomes off (Video card is off), USB keyboard is off, but the processor box lights are still on (they go off when Vista goes to sleep correctly), all the fans are...
June 4th 08 12:23 PM
by ishtaar1 Go to last post
2 272
parental controls by Deb58
I am using the parental controls in windows vista. I have allowed some websites but it continues to block them. Can I fix this.
June 4th 08 12:20 PM
by Mark L. Ferguson Go to last post
1 299
cannot remove language - Vista SP1 by i019620
I have just installed SP1 for vista. Chinesse language appeared in language bar and I cannot remove it from "Regional and Language options" menu (tab "keyboards and languages" - "change keyboards" - select chinese and "remove" - apply). Any ideas? -- i019620
June 4th 08 11:50 AM
by wysiwyg Go to last post
3 311
Sync'ing Vista/WM5 -- Everything OK But Calendar, Outlook shuts do by Ladderless
I've had my PocketPC (Loox n560 - WM5) sync'ed with my XP desktop for years... No real issues. Yesterday, I purchased a new Vista notebook, and tried to get the Loox sync'ed. I installed my Office 2003 onto the notebook. Everything seemed to work, except the calendar. For some reason, I got two new, blank appointments inserted into both my PPC and my outlook (So SOMTHING is going on...
June 4th 08 11:50 AM
by securetype[_2_] Go to last post
3 312
While exploring various websites by b11_
While exploring various websites, sometimes a window will open that has no toolbar, etc. at the top. Why do such windows exist?
June 4th 08 11:19 AM
by Synapse Syndrome[_2_] Go to last post
3 302
Dear Microsoft: Please get UAC right this time by Clear Windows
UAC is stupid the way it is, nuff said read article: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=461 UAC could certainly have been handled better. It does something the security industry has been well aware of for a long time - it creates the "cry wolf" problem of popup fatigue (people turn off or ignore the popups after awhile). Vista is more secure than XP, despite what others might say, but it still...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
June 4th 08 09:44 AM
by Clear Windows Go to last post
55 1,202
Windows Task Manager by Gerry[_6_]
In Windows XP Ctrl+Alt+Del brought up Task Manager, In Vista it takes you to an intermediate menu with one option to Start Task Manager. Is there a way to bypass the intermediate screen? TIA ~~~~
June 4th 08 08:46 AM
by Gerry[_6_] Go to last post
5 337
No admin password. by edit-
My lap top was stolen and I have since then been able to get it back. The only problem now is that the person has changed everything on me. I cant do anything on my computer with out the password for the admin. Im not very good with computers but from what I have looked up you need to be able to get online to download something to reset it all. I figured out to open the guest account but it...
June 4th 08 06:06 AM
by Brink Go to last post
1 334
Sleep by Gerry[_6_]
Is there a way to prevent Sleep being the default in Shutdown in the Classic Start menu? Is there a way to have a single action to display a simple choice of the two shutdown options of Restart and Shutdown? TIA --
June 4th 08 05:27 AM
by Brink Go to last post

From The