Threads in Forum : General Vista Help and Support Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
exe files by mikeinhull
could anyone please tell me why, when u spend ages downloading a file off say ares which you know is an exe file, when you open the file you see the dos box pop up for about 1 second then disappear and the programme hasnt installed at all. this is doing my head in so please get me on and i will love you for ever lol. mike :mad: --
November 27th 09 12:16 PM
by Death Go to last post
6 345
Lock desktop icons by Richard LeBlanc[_3_]
Windows vista - is there any way to lock the desktop icons?
November 27th 09 08:15 AM
by Bigguy[_2_] Go to last post
3 328
Program stops responding for a few seconds by Noor Motani
Recently I have noticed that what ever application I am in, often it stops responding for a few seconds and then it starts responding. I am operating Vista Home Premium 32bt. and have Norton Internet Security 2010 running. No other programs running at startup except sidebar. I appreciate help on this matter. I have run full NIS scan, full Malwarebytes, and full tune up in system mechanics...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 27th 09 05:35 AM
by webster72n Go to last post
17 609
Old application won't work under Vista. by Ciarán Ó Duibhín
I have Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 (32-bit) and am trying to run an old OCR application. I run it in Win95 compatibility mode. Most functions of the old application work in Vista, but it fails if I ask it to acquire an image from the scanner. I am asked to select my twain source, which I do (Samsung SCX4100), but then the scanner gives a couple of grunts and a message box from Vista says...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 27th 09 01:07 AM
by Ciarán Ó Duibhín Go to last post
11 508
Error 77 Kernel_Stack_Inpage_error by Noor Motani
Last night when I was perform on line malware scanning, my system crashed with the following error: ERROR 77 KERNAL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR In the brackets below all numbers were 0 except the last one that read 78D7000. What does this error indicate and how to fix it that the system does not crash. This is the first time I saw this error message though the system has crashed several times with...
November 26th 09 09:32 PM
by Peter Foldes Go to last post
2 390
November 26th 09 09:22 PM
by Ezeloe Blanche Cloeiss Go to last post
1 267
Best file recovery program? by Allen[_5_]
I need a good file recovery program that will run both under Vista and Win 7. It needs to be able to salvage files both deleted and those lost because of disc errors. It also needs to be able to work with both internal and external hard discs, and all flavors of CD and DVD. Any recommendations? Most of the ones that allow you to download a trial have crippled to trial so much that it's...
November 26th 09 08:14 PM
by Allen[_5_] Go to last post
6 366
Internet Explorer has stopped working by Christopher[_5_]
I have not too long ago upgraded to Vistta Home Premium 32-Bit and there something that is not a problem but IS DRIVING ME CRAZY! Sometimes when I close Internet Explorer it says "Internet Explorer is not working. Checking for a solution to the problem" I am sure there is no problem. If anyone has an idea why this is happening and how to fix it please reply! Oh and just in case I don't...
November 26th 09 08:04 PM
by Allen[_5_] Go to last post
2 302
Delay deleting files for printer to print by David Barnett
Why is this so slow? It was slow with XP and just as slow with Vista. Is there any way to speed this up? -- David Barnett
November 26th 09 07:33 PM
by David Barnett Go to last post
0 2
Live mail and newsgroups by JL[_3_]
Greetings to you all! I'm using WLM to access the newgroups only. How can I have the newsgroups page by default, instead of clicking "Ctrl + shift + L"? Thanks for any help Keep well! JL Glory to whom, having no hallowed ideals, merely tries not to suck his felloman too much!
November 26th 09 07:15 PM
by JL[_3_] Go to last post
5 313
Fastest DSL Connection Type? by Artreid
I have Verizon DSL with their supplied DSL Modem. The computer can be connected to the moden via an Ethernet cable, USB or Wireless. It use to be in past years Ethernet was the fastest internet connection. Is that still true when compared to USB, and now USB 2 and Wireless?
November 26th 09 04:12 PM
by ray Go to last post
6 350
Desktop has rotated 90 degrees ccw! by Gordon Biggar
I have a Dell desktop, using a Vista 64-bit platform. I accidentally hit the keyboard with my hand, which caused the desktop to rotate 90 degrees ccw. How do I go about rotating the screen back to normal? Gordon Biggar Houston, Texas
November 26th 09 03:06 PM
by Allen[_5_] Go to last post
5 289
test by Walter Goldschmidt[_3_]
Having problems posting this is a test.
November 26th 09 02:30 PM
by Marjorie Klivans[_2_] Go to last post
1 356
What is needed to kicksart the PC by Canuck57[_7_]
An idea for PC manufacturers to kickstart the PC business. A PC with a native in ROM, mini-Linux based VM with the ability to snapshot the running VMs. Just imagine how easy it then becomes to backup an restore MS Windows. or Linux, or Solaris or BSD for that mater). Then load XP, Vista, Win 7, Solaris, Linux and a few BSDs... on boot, let the user choose. Have a nice web and secure shell...
November 26th 09 12:50 PM
by Canuck57[_7_] Go to last post
5 273
Max. no. of characters in a message box line is less in Vista when compared with XP by DPM[_2_]
Hi, I have noticed in Vista, the maximum no. of characters which could be displayed in a messagebox line is 85 characters where in XP it was 131 characters. Following is a summary when compared this with OSes, OS - Max. no. of characters per messagebox line. XP - 131 Vista, Windows 7 - 85
November 26th 09 11:31 AM
by DPM[_2_] Go to last post
0 262
My New Wireless ISP Works Great With Ubuntu 9.10 RTW! by Kevin John Panzke
My New Wireless ISP Works Great With Ubuntu 9.10 RTW! It Also Works Horrible With Windows 7! Just FYI!
November 26th 09 06:20 AM
by gigamite Go to last post
5 306
Upgrade or full version? by jim
I want to upgrade to Win 7. If I buy the upgrade version and my hard drive or mobo fails at a later time, will i be able to do a clean install with out any hassles?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 26th 09 03:48 AM
by ray Go to last post
15 616
Event Sounds Question by JamesJ[_4_]
I assign wav files to system events. Certain ones won't play when when I assign it to the Windows Logon event. It previews fine and plays in Windows Media Player I thought the length was the problem 'cause these wav files are 22 and 24 seconds but I assigned a wav file to the Windows Logon that is 30 seconds and it plays fine. Although the length does have an impact. Any ideas?? James
November 25th 09 11:10 PM
by JamesJ[_4_] Go to last post
0 306
Windows 7 NG's ? by gush@cox,net
Hi As my daughters said "You would like the movie Dumber & Dumber". Think they might be right as I can see no Windows 7 news groups. Can someone please show me the way? Keep smiling Uncle Gus
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 25th 09 10:45 PM
by Michael Go to last post
34 1,194