Threads in Forum : General Vista Help and Support Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Change Folder Attribute by JamesJ[_4_]
I can't "see" C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies unless I uncheck 'Hide protected operating system files' in folder options. Why would Vista consider the contents of this folder operating system files? How do I change the Hidden attribute for for this folder? Thanks, James
November 25th 09 09:20 PM
by JamesJ[_4_] Go to last post
6 409
Using Vista/Win7 common roaming profiles by Guy[_5_]
Our school environment is currently on XP. We find with roaming profiles and multiple users sharing the login (student class logins), you end up with too many corrupt profiles left on machines all around causing all sorts of problems. To get around this, I have a single user profile that accounts only have read only access too when they log on. When they log off no changes they make can...
November 25th 09 09:13 PM
by Guy[_5_] Go to last post
2 257
Windows Scheduler Error by microsvc
When I run the scheduler, I get this message: "The Task Image is corrupt or has been tampered with. User.Feed.Synchronization-{08D8EE38-23BB-4C70-8FAD-84B0186399CA}" Any suggestions on resolving this? Thanks!
November 25th 09 08:28 PM
by microsvc Go to last post
0 281
Windows 7 upgrade by Mel[_5_]
Hi All, If im in the wrong newsgroup please accept my apologies. I currently have a hp machine with a triple core amd phenom 8550 triple core processor and 4 gig of memory running vista home premium. Is it possible to up grade to windows 7 64 bit with the machine I have. Thanks
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 25th 09 07:55 PM
by Saga Go to last post
10 644
Stocks Gadget on Windows 7 by Michael Chare
I was disappointed that the Stocks gadget was not included on the final release version of Windows 7. After a Google search I ended up copying the gadget from the RC DVD. The gadget now installs but says 'Cannot connect to service'. Other gadgets such as the Currency and Weather ones which must connect somehow work. How do I enable the connection, alternatively would a copy of the Stocks...
November 25th 09 04:58 PM
by Michael Chare Go to last post
2 308
Desktop icons keep changing sizes... by Craig[_6_]
Hi Folks I have a bit of a problem.I have windows vista ultimate with sp1 on my computer and when i first installed it the desktop icons were large.I worked out how to make them smaller or "classic" size when i right click on the desktop/view and change it there.My big problem is that when i reboot/turn computer off and back on they go back to their large size. Any ideas how...
November 25th 09 03:48 PM
by igotsaurus Go to last post
1 197
Vista's Desktop and Taskbar by Michael T
My Desktop, Task Bar and Start Up have disappeared. Rebooting or restoring does not work. All my files, programs etc seem to be there, just takes a few extra steps to access. Help????
November 25th 09 07:56 AM
by kapnobatai Go to last post
2 253
File-Run Missing in Task Manager by mchadha1000
Hi, I lost my desktop and Task Manager. I could still see my start menu. I followed instructions on the forum to enable my Task Manager again using the admin cmd prompt and running a script ws... vbs something. Now I have Task Manager but when I click File, the only choice I have is Exit Task Manager. I thought that if I kill the process Explorer.exe and restart it, it will restore my...
November 25th 09 04:30 AM
by mchadha1000 Go to last post
2 223
Windows Vista - cannot update - by Sol
I am unable to receive updates. When I go to Windows Update link, I get a message "Windows could not search for new updates" and "Error(s) found: Code 80070424. I then went to Microsoft's website, downloaded an update and got the message "Installer encountered and error: 0x80070424. The specific service does not exist as an installed service." I then ran chkdsk and tried it again with...
November 25th 09 04:25 AM
by CHUCKBOWERS Go to last post
9 441
Help requested with a Vista problem by Graham[_8_]
A friend has a problem with her computer. She is running a desktop badged as 'Acer' using Windows Vista Business. When she tries to log on to her account (set with administrator privilidges) she gets the following message 'group policy client service failed to logon Access denied' The system then loops back to the logon screen. I have already spent some time 'googling' this issue and...
November 24th 09 11:59 PM
by Graham[_8_] Go to last post
0 244
Help requested with a Vista problem by Graham[_8_]
A friend has a problem with her computer. She is running a desktop badged as 'Acer' using Windows Vista Business. When she tries to log on to her account (set with administrator privilidges) she gets the following message 'group policy client service failed to logon Access denied' The system then loops back to the logon screen. I have already spent some time 'googling' this issue and...
November 24th 09 11:57 PM
by Graham[_8_] Go to last post
0 287
Networking 2 computers by Otto Moehrbach
I have Windows 7 but can't find a newsgroup for it so I'm posting it here. I have 2 computers in my home and I have them networked together, maybe not properly. I am on computer 2 and I open a file that is on computer 1. All is well so far. I work on the file and attempt to save it back to computer 1. I get an error message stating that the file is read only and that I can't save it. What am...
November 24th 09 07:21 PM
by Massaro. Antonio M Go to last post
2 257
Vista (copy Excel to Word) by vette88
Hi, I'm trying to copy (make as an icon) an excel document into a word document. *Steps I've tried (In word):* 1. Hit insert tab 2. Click on object button, then chose object 3. Click on Create from File tab 4. Hit Browse button, then I chose the excel document I wanted copied. 5. I have then tried Display as Icon
November 24th 09 06:24 PM
by ashvin Go to last post
5 266
Excel Read Only by Wet Paint
My company has an Excel application we have developed and we use an Installer program to distribute it. The installer default is to install the program into a Program File that is named. This works flawlessly on xp but on any computer that has Vista installed, the file opens in Read Only, which defeats our entire application. The read only format can not be changed in any of the obvious ways...
November 24th 09 05:04 PM
by wet paint Go to last post
5 351
upgrading from vista to win 7 question by Debbie Graham[_3_]
Would I still be able to do the upgrade even though I was never able to get SP 1 or SP 2 installed on my laptop? Debbie
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 24th 09 04:06 PM
by Debbie Graham[_3_] Go to last post
31 907
exclamation mark - windows mail by KRK
Hello I received an email with a red exclamation mark ! in the 1st column. I assume the sender put it there to draw attention to it ? Can I delete it ? I assume I can set a ! in my reply ? Thanks
November 24th 09 03:35 PM
by Nil[_3_] Go to last post
5 262
Popup at startup by maeve[_3_]
Hi This is only an annoying thing but I have a popup at startup that says that 'parental control has determined that I don't have a password'. I don't want a password and I don't have any users other than the guest account which is turned off and I can't delete it. How do I get rid of this annoying popup? Thanks
November 24th 09 03:13 PM
by dj928 Go to last post
2 241
Run command policy location by St
How can I disable the Run command in Start menu via Group Policy Editor? It seems that this option is not there.
November 24th 09 09:13 AM
by aahfong [mcse] Go to last post
1 252
HELP ICONS by PAUL
I have asked in the past, and so far I have not solved this issue. On my laptop under Vista Home Basic, for a few months now, I do not have Icons in my Help Folder. Just an X where the Icons should be. Thanks in advance for any kind of help.
November 24th 09 02:21 AM
by PAUL Go to last post
9 272
Now kids, stop the bickering. Just FYI by Kevin John SmallBone[_5_]
Can't we all just get along? Just FYI.
November 23rd 09 09:52 PM
by Kevin John SmallBone[_5_] Go to last post

From The