Threads in Forum : General Vista Help and Support Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Why this should be the Win7 newsgroup by ray
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 16:12:33 -0800, igotsaurus wrote: Having steadily used Win 7 since the first public I entirely sympathize with those who label it Vista SP3. It is not significantly faster than Vista 64 SP2 on the same hardware and uses the same drivers. It hiccoughs over many of the same obstacles. When a device manufacturer, for example Canon, markets a "new printer" but it uses...
November 16th 09 01:24 AM
by ray Go to last post
0 218
File Sharing by Chris & Barbara[_2_]
I have been trying to set up a folder to share on my home network. I go through the procedure and click done, but the folder does not show up as being shared. (I do not get the little icon on the folder). When I try to see it from the other computer it is not there. The printers are all there, and the windows preset folder are there. I disabled password and made sure that file and print...
November 16th 09 01:01 AM
by Chris & Barbara[_2_] Go to last post
3 217
Why this should be the Win7 newsgroup by Rich
because its named microsoft.public.windows.vista.general ? That why? Rich
November 15th 09 11:22 PM
by Rich Go to last post
0 246
Concerned by lack of available system restore points by Dave Harry
Vista32, 4GM RAM, 70GB partition for C: with 25GB free. I only get one or two restore points. Once upon a time I had very many. If I create a manual restore point, I often have only that single restore point as others are deleted. "Show points more than 5 days old" sometimes offers only one - or none. I remember XP had a place I could adjust the space for RP's. (This Vista was
November 15th 09 10:59 PM
by Bob Go to last post
4 244
USB vs SD Cards by KRK
Hello, I use USB memory sticks for backup. I wonder if I should be using SD cards ? My PC has slots for both. I have used SD cards in my camera, but never in my pc. Does anyone know how they compare in terms of speed and cost per gigabyte ? Thanks
November 15th 09 10:38 PM
by +Bob+ Go to last post
5 250
W7 - Homegroup & Libraries Desktop Icons by PedroB
Hi Everyone I've used Vista Home Premium for a year or so now and I've installed Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade and so far so good - I'm pretty impressed to this point. I am, however, becoming very frustrated trying to get rid of Homegroup and Libraries folders on the desktop. I know if I right click on Homegroup, there's an option for 'change homegroup settings' (from what I've seen on...
November 15th 09 08:50 PM
by bunny flo Go to last post
5 280
Anti Virus package by species8350
My McAfee package is soon to expire. I want to replace it with a good free package. I was thinking about Avast. Any comments Thanks
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
November 15th 09 06:20 PM
by webster72n Go to last post
28 644
Drive Properties by 2Sweet
In Windows Vista, when right-click the drive, Properties, the "Explore' and "Open" show "????(X)" and "??(O)" repectively. Anyone can help?
November 15th 09 06:08 PM
by webster72n Go to last post
7 231
Network Icon In Notification Area Shows Access Local Only by Saucer Man
The network icon shows access Local Only. The network and sharing center shows a red X to the internet. However, I have internet access. It's just reporting that I don't. This is intermittent. Sometimes rebooting solves the issue but the Local Only icon can come back shortly afterwards. Has anyone seen this before? -- Thanks.
November 15th 09 12:04 PM
by Jack [MVP-Networking] Go to last post
2 216
My Win 7 Experience by Canuck57[_7_]
Well, I tried Win 7 today and here is what I did. The system is a HP with AMD quad proc, COTS from BestBuy. Came with Vista Premium and is new, runs Vista OK after I turned off the power conservation sleep mode on the system. Turns out sleep/wake on Vista isn't always that reliable and messes up with Wireless LAN drivers and the TV PVR card. But setting the CPU to never sleep fixed all...
November 15th 09 11:43 AM
by philo[_2_] Go to last post
5 239
TaskManager greyed out by Tim95
Okay well i can not open my taskmanager and im starting to go nuts, I do the regedit and it says its been disabled by administrator anyone know how to re-enable it? -- Tim95 Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
November 15th 09 05:01 AM
by Old Rookie Go to last post
2 185
External USB HDD by Old Mariner
I'd appreciate some guidance on this problem,running Vista Home Basic and I've had no problem with this 149Gb external HDD drive except when I tried to format it. It did delete everything but then says "Cannot format this drive" when I try other methods like defragmenting it or checking for error it keeps saying Windows does not recognise this something about wrong parameters. I tried Restore...
November 15th 09 01:42 AM
by Charles W Davis[_2_] Go to last post
6 223
Do Not Upgrade GirlFriend 1.0 To Wife 1.0 RTW! Just FYI by Boris[_5_]
"Kevin John SmallBone" wrote in : Last year a friend of mine upgraded GirlFriend 1.0 to Wife 1.0 and found that it's a memory hog leaving very little system resources for other applications. He is only now noticing that Wife 1.0 also is spawning Child-Processes which are further consuming valuable resources. No mention of...
November 15th 09 01:19 AM
by Kevin John Putzke Go to last post
5 254
Microsoft Office XP Standard by Bob Guercio
Hi All, I am running Microsoft Windows Vista on an HP Laptop with Microsoft Office Word 2007. However, I am finding this program to be significantly different from Word from the Microsoft Office XP Suite and would like to use the word processor from the XP suite. Is it possible for me to do this. Thank you,
November 14th 09 11:10 PM
by Charles W Davis[_2_] Go to last post
4 255
Windows 7's Desktop is for Sale to Advertisers by Alias[_58_]
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9140810/Microsoft_sells_Windows_7_desktop_to_advertisers Yuck! Alias
November 14th 09 10:47 PM
by Death Go to last post
4 235
Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Reader & Acrobat Manager by Octavio
Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Reader & Acrobat Manager: I just noticed that these are clicked on in my System Configuration/Startup tab. It is necessary that these two be left on to start with the computer and I turn it on? Do they slow the computer's starup?
November 14th 09 10:09 PM
by Stan Starinski, MSEE+3DMCAD Go to last post
2 213
Vista 32 to Windows 7 64 by Steve
I have fell version of Windows 7 64 I want to install on my Vista 32 PC. Is finding 64 bit drivers all I have to be concerned about? What are the other pitfalls I need to be aware of? __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4603 (20091113) __________
November 14th 09 09:51 PM
by Steve Go to last post
3 223
internet explorer: adding links to to toolbar as buttons by John Goche
Hello, I have this site whose link is http://thesaurus.com/ . Given that I use it quite frequently I would like it to appear as a button on one of the toolbars but the best I could do was add it to Favorites or to the Links drop down menu which to me is no different than Favorites because you still got to go through a drop down menu. I tried resizing the Links
November 14th 09 09:33 PM
by +Bob+ Go to last post
6 273
Turn off the automatic 'Lock the computer'? by Mikohn
I'm doing long simulations with 3dsmax's Fumefx and I have this most annoying problem with Windows Vista automatically locking the computer after a while and thus jamming the simulation process i'm doing! So I can't left my computer doing the simulation overnight... I've checked all the power options and others, but it still locks the computer after a while. In the screen saver settings the...
November 14th 09 07:34 PM
by Old Rookie Go to last post
1 228
Blocking New Program Installations by Gared Haus
Hello folks, My Dad has a laptop running Windows Vista and he is forever installing stupid programs which he then gets me to remove as they have messed up his computer in some way. With this in mind, I was wondering if there is a way that I can somehow put a block on him installing new programs on Windows? Any help would be appreciated.
November 14th 09 07:28 PM
by Old Rookie Go to last post

From The