Threads in Forum : General Vista Help and Support Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Recent Update Killed Aero by Robb
I have a two year old OEM Vista Premium PC. I just installed a number of updates and when I restarted, the PC looks like Win95. In the Performance section I have it set to Best Apperance with every checkbox checked... and those settings are ignored. Checking them one at a time doesn't do anything either. I tried going in via the desktop but found no aero settings. It seems the recent updates...
October 4th 09 05:00 AM
by Robb Go to last post
0 212
Need help using video cam by GregNga
I recently bought a new laptop with a built in video cam and Windows Vista. How do I create a video I can email to folks that they can view using most standard media players, like Windows Media Player
October 4th 09 04:42 AM
by Tae Song Go to last post
4 200
A story about Linux by Gargoyle Sentry
I'm mostly a Windows user but fire up Linux on occasion just for the hell of it and not because I need it. What ****es me off though is that every time I boot up Linux there are about 50 - 100 updates that I need to download and install and the effing Ubuntu server was giving me a crappy 17 - 50kb/s max. Took a least an hour to update. When I do updates via Microsoft server I get about...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 4th 09 04:25 AM
by Muad'Dib Go to last post
14 370
Explorer Windows by hostile
Hi, Every time I open a new browser window, it opens behind other windows. Is there a special setting for this? Thank you
October 4th 09 01:25 AM
by No Name Go to last post
3 230
Alias says 26 more days to go for that Crappy Ubuntu failure by MARTHA STARINSKI[_2_]
"Alias" wrote in message ... and you shouldn't download the new Ubuntu, Karmic Koala, Ubuntu 9.10 from SNIP DISGUSTING LINK What you can do with Ubuntu: Email Yes you can email.
October 4th 09 01:15 AM
by STAN STARINSKI Go to last post
1 213
Recovering lost MBR by Edgar Marsalla
I have a laptop that was running Vista 64bit Enterprise fine. It's disk is also protected by bitlocker. It is now in a state where none of the recovery console options seems able to recognize the drive. From a command line bootrec.exe I can see the disk and it's original partitions of proper sizes. However they are 'hidden' and there are no visible volumes. Is there any good way to...
October 4th 09 12:24 AM
by Ken Blake, MVP Go to last post
4 233
system restore by cazxx1
hi all I cant do system restore it say somthink about the c drive i have done a scan its telling me that the c drive is ok Also the spell has gone please help cause Im pulling my haie out Im using vista and internet explorer cheers -- cazxx1
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 3rd 09 09:34 PM
by MARTHA STARINSKI[_2_] Go to last post
10 348
SINISTER POSTING by PencilState
"STAN STARINSKI" wrote in message ... I noticed something sinister: SNIP Yeah, your clock is wrong. No one with a tiny iota of a brain "tricks" themselves by setting the clock ahead. Doesn't your little pea-sized brain remember that you set the clocks ahead?
October 3rd 09 07:35 PM
by PencilState Go to last post
0 235
Autoruns crashed vista boot by db
hello, I installed autoruns and conveniently disabled just a few nuiscance startups like google toolbar updater, javaupdate, msdefender but after a reboot I could not longer boot into vista. there was some error message indicating
October 3rd 09 06:02 PM
by db Go to last post
5 239
Is Windows Defender built-in to Vista? by MikeB[_2_]
I seem to have Windows defender running on my Vista Ultimate SP 2 laptop. This is despite the fact that I cannot see it in the list of installed programs, and my download archive does not have a version that runs in Vista. I used to have Windows Live OneCare installed, but I've uninstalled that and ran the cleanup tool, yet I still see Defender in my taskbar (although it complains that its...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 3rd 09 04:45 PM
by Dave-UK[_3_] Go to last post
15 353
Windows 7 & email by swalker
What email program comes with Windows 7? Is there a way to move the contact list and folders from Windows Mail to whatever Windows 7 has? Thanks
October 3rd 09 04:42 PM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
6 215
How do I know if I have TMP? by Jan Il
I have Vista Ultimate SP2 and want to use the BitLocker. I need to know which instructions to use. With or without the TMP. How can I find out if I have the TMP or not? Jan :)
October 3rd 09 04:39 PM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
8 225
Only 26 More Days to Go! by Alias[_52_]
and you can download the new Ubuntu, Karmic Koala, Ubuntu 9.10 from http://www.ubuntu.com/ and it's free! What you can do with Ubuntu: Email Surf the web Burn CDs. Rip CDs. Listen to music.
October 3rd 09 04:33 PM
by Alias[_52_] Go to last post
3 207
Where to ask W-7 Questions? by CWLee
Is there another newsgroup, or website, where questions about Windows 7 should be addressed? (My question, in case anyone here knows the answer, is: Does Windows 7 include the option, as XP and Vista have, to have the appearance be in "Windows Classic" mode? Thanks. --
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 3rd 09 04:30 PM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
13 377
Check Disk at startup on External Drive by Tom461
On a nearly new Vista Home HP Pavilion, check disk runs at start up on the 1TB WD external hard drive. I determined that the dirty bit is set to On. Several questions: (1) Can check disk be safely stopped while in progress, maybe by keying Control+C? (2) Can the external hard drive be excluded from checkdisk automatically running, since it is used only for backups? (3) having previously...
October 3rd 09 12:48 PM
by Tom461 Go to last post
2 213
Help please! Error 0x80042453 by Karregaard
My computer keeps failing to start windows, so i was able to get it to the reinstall of the windows program in general. But when it asks me "Where do you want to install Windows?" there is a "Disk 0" the only one so i press next and it loaded for a bit. Suddenly i got this "Error 0x80042453 Windows could not create partition on Disk 0. This error occured while preparing the computers system...
October 3rd 09 12:25 PM
by theog Go to last post
3 292
Open With Problem by peter prewett
I have Vista and a program called Xtreme Pro. Clicking on the .xar file a window opens that allows me to select Open With, Browsing to the Xtreme.exe and selecting it will not accept my selection. If I run the application Xtreme.exe and then click on the file it loads OK. I have tried all variations in the Open With window and nothing. Is this just Vista mucking around again!!??
October 3rd 09 09:39 AM
by whykie Go to last post
3 293
Windows Media Center Store Update Manager Constantly Crashing by Miriwich
For two weeks now, every time that I use Windows Vista Ultimate, after 10 to 20 minutes of use, I keep getting an error window saying "Windows Media Center Store Update Manager has stopped working and was closed". as yet, I cannot get any information from Microsoft concerning this issue. Anybody have some info on this?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 3rd 09 05:30 AM
by Kevin John Panzke[_2_] Go to last post
32 660
Well said Stan. Poor sad old, has been, Mark. by Mark Conrad[_5_]
In article , andy t wrote: snipped vitriolic poison He does not even know the definition of the word 'list' snipped vitriolic poison
October 3rd 09 05:22 AM
by Kevin John Panzke[_2_] Go to last post
3 215
Kevin - This is where you should go by Spanky de Monkey, ESQ[_4_]
http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/wealthofnations/archive/2009/10/02/daydreaming-in-damascus-the-syrian-masturbation-epidemic.aspx
October 3rd 09 05:12 AM
by Spanky de Monkey, ESQ[_4_] Go to last post

From The