Threads in Forum : General Vista Help and Support Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Win 7 question by The Doctor[_2_]
Got a client who have Office 2013 and Word 2010 Starter and Excel 2010 Starter on a Win 7 Home PRem box. Went either Word 203 ot Word 2 010 start, it takes a long time 5 to 15 minutes to start. Could a possible conflict be the cause? -- Member - Liberal International This is Ici God,Queen and country!Never Satan President Republic!Beware AntiChrist rising!
March 14th 16 03:37 PM
by The Doctor[_2_] Go to last post
2 656
Space Program: % Budget by (PeteCresswell)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget_of_NASA It peaked during the years 1963-1969 with a high of 4.41% of the federal budget. Since then it's been mostly less than 1% of the federal budget. ..5% last year.... -- Pete Cresswell
March 13th 16 09:54 PM
by (PeteCresswell) Go to last post
1 609
Cisco VPN Client - Connection Error Reason 412 by [email protected]
Hi All, ***Cisco VPN Client - Connection Error Reason 412*** I am trying to connect office through my laptop from home. But I am getting following error. The log is also inclued here. After searching a lot on internet and trying solutions I am posting question here.
March 8th 16 04:05 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
8 1,264
Slow starting system by The Doctor[_2_]
Has anyone heard this one where a Win 7 stalls for 15 minutes? In taskmgr I see 15 instances of svchost,exe -- Member - Liberal International This is Ici God,Queen and country!Never Satan President Republic!Beware AntiChrist rising! http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism Broadcasting the truth for 25 years
February 25th 16 01:39 PM
by The Doctor[_2_] Go to last post
0 495
no more Crome updates for Vista by Linea Recta[_2_]
After updating Chrome on my (Vista) notebook I just got the following message: Version 48.0.2564.82 m Google Chrome has been updated. This computer will soon receive no more Google Chrome updates since Windows XP and Windows Vista are no longer supported.
January 25th 16 05:02 PM
by al Go to last post
9 674
How to install a printer to Vista when the maker doesn't supply drivers by Micky
This is probably a hypothetical question, because the expected order of events in my computer setup probably won't give me an incentive to do this. But it's a question nevertheless. Please don't argue with me that even though I can do it, it's a waste of my time. As I said, it's a hypothetical question. I'm runing Vista, which is a lot like Win7. A friend gave me a laser color printer, a...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 16th 16 07:12 PM
by Micky Go to last post
39 1,737
The travails of installing a printer. by Micky
The travails of installing a printer. Don't read if you don't like stories. After all the discussion in the other thread, I figured I'd start to try to install the printer, the Brother MFC6800. Because I couldnt' get it close to the computer, I dug out my new Active Extension, USB2.0 Repeater Cable, but then wondered, if it has an amplifier built-in, is it bi-directional? I read the...
January 11th 16 07:00 AM
by Micky Go to last post
7 729
getting Start Search button to show files again by Laurence Smith
I must have messed something up in settings. Have had the same Vista PC for 8 years and when searching for a file on the PC have routinely hit the Windows circular button on the lower left of the screen. Where it says in light gray Start Search I would put a word or two from the file name and quickly the name of candidate programs and files would show up above it. For the past week or so this...
January 6th 16 01:21 PM
by Laurence Smith Go to last post
0 494
looking for a program like sndrec.exe by Micky
I'm running Vista but it's a lot like 7. I'm looking for a program something like sndrec.exe, just to record and playback from my microphone. If it did more things that might be nice, but not worth paying extra for. Does something come with Vista? Or another recommendation. Thanks.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
January 4th 16 12:32 PM
by David H. Lipman Go to last post
22 1,330
Network security, passwords and keys by Micky
All this time I've been thinking that if WEP or WPA-PSK enabled and a proper key, I have adequate router security. But in a moment of possible enlightenment, it occurred to me that if an interloper can log into my router, he can change the key so that iiuc I won't be able to use the net. That's bad, right? And if I haven't set a router password, he can set one, and then I would have run...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 28th 15 02:17 PM
by Char Jackson Go to last post
16 819
timestamps between computer and router -- email failed by Micky
A discussion with someone prompted me to look in my router log today, (perhaps for the first time in 8 years ) and I tried to email the log to myself. This gave rise to 3 questions. A) The time that the log showed for sending the email was 4 minutes later than the time on the computer clock (which I verified with a satellite clock). That is, that time had not arrived yet. An hour later...
December 25th 15 11:55 PM
by Micky Go to last post
4 478
Page won't print by Micky
Could someone do me a favor. I have windows Vista but it's a lot like win7. Also, a wireless Epson Workforce 645. I can't get this page to print. It goes to the queue but says Error - Printing. Start here, http://games.washingtonpost.com/gamedetails/daily-crossword/ Click Play Now and end up he http://games.washingtonpost.com/games/daily-crossword/
December 25th 15 04:25 AM
by Micky Go to last post
9 12
Onboard network controller does not show up in Device Manager by Ken Springer[_2_]
Dell Vostro 1510, Vista Business 32 bit, fully updated. The computer did not have a hard drive installed, so if there was a recovery partition originally, it's not available to me. Is there any way to test the controller when the computer evidently doesn't know it's there? In searching the web, one solution for this problem on a different computer was to turn the controller on in the BIOS...
December 10th 15 04:40 AM
by Ken Springer[_2_] Go to last post
8 464
Ludicrous (?) Number of Page Faults ? by (PeteCresswell)
I am looking at somebody's Vista PC with only 2 gigs of RAM installed. SP-2, AMD Athlon LE-1620 @2.4 ghz. They are having intermittent issues with the thing seeming to freeze up. When I put Process Lasso on it I see what seem like a *lot* of PageFaults. viz: https://picasaweb.google.com/108149798664924808733/Misc02#6221493998639175570
November 27th 15 05:16 AM
by Micky Go to last post
3 491
Agent won't open after Restart, Part 2, probably applies to V,7,8, and 10. by Micky
Forte Agent 1.93 won't open after Restart, Part 2 The short answer is that the problem was Data Execution Prevention (DEP). Even though Agent19.exe was in the agent19 directory, which is in the Programs directory, and agent6.exe is in the agent6 directory which is in the Programs directory. And even though it worked fine for 3 weeks.
November 21st 15 05:00 AM
by Micky Go to last post
1 463
Screen too light when Not Repsonding by Micky
On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 07:42:59 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote: In message , Micky writes: On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 15:20:05 -0600, VanguardLH wrote: Micky wrote: I have Vista but it seems a lot like 7.
November 11th 15 02:21 PM
by Micky Go to last post
0 431
how to change Target or command line for each file name extension by micky
This is a Vista question, but since those groups are very quiet, I was hoping 7 people would know the answer and would help me.. IIRC, XP, 98, and 3.1 had a utility screen, a tab on Folder Options, that let me define details about what happened when I click on a file with a particular filename extension. All Vista has on the Control Panel is Default Programs, and it lets me change the...
October 4th 15 10:36 PM
by micky Go to last post
8 2,253
Complete PC Backup and Restore by Ken Springer[_2_]
XP Pro included a system backup in the Pro version(s) but not Home. However, since the backup program was stand alone, you could copy the backup program to a Home system and be good to go. Can this be done in Vista? I rummaging the web, but haven't found anything yet. --
October 3rd 15 01:35 AM
by Ken Springer[_2_] Go to last post
2 499
Vista goes black when starting to hibernate by micky
Hi, I just got a Vista computer. when a friend upgraded his office, and before I leave my desk, I tell it to hibernate (not hybrid). The monitor goes black and I can't tell if it has closed the programs yet, or how far along it is. i think I need this, for one thing, to know when I can turn off my harddrive dock. Is this normal or is there a remedy. Also there is no graphic menu of...
September 30th 15 02:53 AM
by Paul[_2_] Go to last post
3 562
Vista update are slow by [email protected]
I have one PC still Vista. The Windows update is terribly slow. My Windows 7 and linux boxes all update much more quickly. I am wondering if Microsoft is deliberately giving low priority to Vista updates just to annoy those hanging on to it??
August 4th 15 07:39 PM
by Linea Recta[_2_] Go to last post

From The