Threads in Forum : General Vista Help and Support Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Any gadgets available to improve English Vocabulary? by Nagesh [MSFT]
Hi, Are there any Vista Gadgets availble to improve English Vocabulary? Thanks in advance, Nagesh
August 7th 14 07:37 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
4 864
Windows Defender error by Groundhog Gus
System is a 64 bit system. Upon startup, Defender respons with: Application failed to initialize: 0x800106ba. For 2 weeks now I have tried all suggestions from wed sites including Microsoft with no success. Believe it has something to do with KB915597 (Definition 1). Update insists on trying to install it but comes up with failure. I just looked at performance monitor and it tells me that...
August 3rd 14 02:11 PM
by Groundhog Gus Go to last post
2 267
"to continue, type an administrator password, then click OK" by cat..
Hello, I'm not sure what I did, but since a few weeks ago, a pop-up user access control window pops up, asking me to type in an administrator password to continue when I try to run a program. I have a single user account on my machine and I never defined an administration password. Until recently, the UAC window just asked me whether I was allowing the program to continue but did not ask for...
June 24th 14 10:35 PM
by Gene E. Bloch Go to last post
3 332
Help, lost my Vista product key!!!! by bgosper
I BOUGHT A DELL pc. It came with a free upgrade to Vista when it came out. I received the upgrade pack from Dell but there was no product key or it got thrown out--it came shrink wrapped on a piece of cardboard!! I have done the install but now am stuck because it wants the product key to continue. I can't reverse it so the PC is basically useless. What do I do?? Dell says I am screwed...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
June 1st 14 12:34 AM
by David H. Lipman Go to last post
81 1,302
windows fax scanner: blank fax sent?! by [email protected]
Hi there, trying to send a .doc file (word 97/2000/xp) created by openoffice writer as a fax by choosing print tab, - fax ("windows fax scanner", o.s vista business). But it often happens the preview is just a blank page and a blank fax is sent! What's the problem? Thanks! -- A.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 31st 14 09:39 PM
by Gene E. Bloch Go to last post
13 450
Right Click Not Working by Wes43
I am frustrated by a right click problem on my HQ laptop mousepad that has disabled normal right click functions such as copying and pasting. The right click button will open a tab, so it is not a mechanical issue, but it never produces a drop down menu as would be normal. I am able to highlight with the left click button, but as soon as I right click the highlighted area, the highlighting...
March 26th 14 10:27 PM
by Pete Puma Go to last post
1 230
limit Start Search to local files by Laurence Smith
I find that when I hit the Start button and it gives me a list of files many of them are files up in the cloud on Dropbox. I would like to only be offered the choice of files local to my PC. Is there a way to limit the search? TIA -- Larry Smith
February 6th 14 07:22 AM
by Paul[_2_] Go to last post
1 216
Email "Revocation information for the Security Certificate is not available" popup problem. by R.H. Breener[_2_]
I originally posted this to the mail group but it seems dead there, or my newsreader isn't picking up the posts. I'm guessing few people are using Vista anymore. I'm hoping someone here is familiar with this problem. With almost every new email I get on my laptop (Vista 32 bit/WindowsMail) I'm now getting a very annoying popup that says "Revocation information for the Security Certificate is...
December 23rd 13 12:51 AM
by Gene E. Bloch[_5_] Go to last post
5 370
Vista Snipping tool by R.H. Breener
I just did a System Recovery on my Vista desktop and the Snipping Tool is not there now. I can't seem to find a place to download it from. How can I replace it as I use it quite a bit. TIA --- This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active. http://www.avast.com
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 23rd 13 12:48 AM
by Gene E. Bloch[_5_] Go to last post
10 667
Can't create new files on drive roots in Win8? by Robbie Hatley
Greetings, group. My first post here. (I used to hang out on the Win2000 groups a lot, then WinXP; but now that I'm using Windows 8.1, I figure *this* group is more appropriate.) I ran into a problem today: I found that I cannot create new files in the root directory of my C: drive (ie, "C:\"). I've never had reason to try to do so in the 2 months or so I've had this Asus notebook running...
December 16th 13 08:06 PM
by Gene E. Bloch[_5_] Go to last post
9 302
Getting permission to remove software by R.H. Breener
Anyone know how I can get Permission to remove a corrupt version of Avast antivirus software from a Vista laptop, 32-bit? It shows in Uninstall a Program but I get an error and it wont uninstall. Avast has no option to Uninstall and the downloaded MS software called MSfixit.ProgramInstalluninstall.RNP cannot remove it either. When I try to manually remove it I get the Need Permission crap...
December 7th 13 11:14 PM
by David H. Lipman Go to last post
6 205
Damaged SAM file by RJK[_3_]
Hi all Just had a call from a lady whose Logon Password is being rejected on her Vista Home Premium PC, (and of course there was no backup image policy in place !!!). So, does a system "Restore Point" contain the SAM file, i.e. would a "System Restore" restore an uncorrupted SAM file ? regards, Richard
December 3rd 13 11:27 PM
by Gene E. Bloch[_5_] Go to last post
7 210
Sendto Problem by Oldster
Running Vista Ultimate 32bit Sp2 I have added a couple of shortcuts to the "Send to" folder in what I thought was the appropriate place (c:\Users\my name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Send to", but even after a reload the new items don't appear in a right-click in explorer "send to" menu. I do get a few items and a couple of disc drives only in the menu. What am I doing wrong?
November 30th 13 11:57 PM
by Gene E. Bloch Go to last post
5 216
Can't Install WinVista Service Pack 1... by E-Double
On a Windows Vista Ultimate machine, when trying to install Windows Vista sp 1 from a CD one of the following two errors occur: 1) The machine says that it must be rebooted to continue with the install. After rebooting (several times sometimes) the same error will likely appear, or 2) The installation just randomly fails (ie stops installing) and a generic 'Failed to Install Service Pack...
November 25th 13 12:00 AM
by Gene E. Bloch Go to last post
3 369
How do I fix a corrupt pst file in Vista Outlook 2007? by Ronnie[_2_]
The exe is scanpst.exe I am getting signon screens with every timed download. The error says to use the scanpst utility. It is not available from my view. -- Ronnie
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 19th 13 11:15 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
19 2,019
Win 7 questions? by [email protected]
I don't see a Windows 7 newsgroup anywhere. Can I ask Win 7 questions here? If not, can someone point me to the appropriate group? DE
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 7th 13 01:02 AM
by Ken Springer[_2_] Go to last post
12 362
Cannot delete folder from desktop... 'Item not found' by Suzy Free
Hi there, Can anyone help me?? I have an empty folder on my desktop that I cannot delete. I get this message when I try and delete it.... Could not find this item. This is no longer located in C:\Users\Marianne\Desktop. Verify the item's location and try again. Its driving me crazy so any help would be much appreciated!
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 24th 13 05:22 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
32 919
How can I delete ReadyBoost cache? by Alice in Wonderland
Hi, unwillingly I got ReadyBoost on my 512Mb Xd card, it's occuping 480Mb, how can I deolete the ReadyBoost cache permanently for my card to have in empty again?DELETE won't work.. HELP!!!
October 23rd 13 04:00 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
8 1,381
Annoying Popup on Boot, Unable to Delete Registry Value by Bhaskar
When I boot my laptop, I get this message that says Now, I don't know what program uses this file. I searched the internet, couldn't find anything. So, I decided to remove the reference from the registry. I used regedit and searched for the file. And I found the entry. But the problem is, I cannot delete the entry. It doesn't allow me to. Any ideas what I can do?
October 13th 13 12:03 PM
by David H. Lipman Go to last post
1 202
call to DllRegisterServer failed 0x8002801c by greensmachine_snake
The module xxx.dll was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x8002801c. i have tried several methods that have been "The So-Called Fix" and nothing has worked as of yet i keep getting the same error message
October 5th 13 07:34 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post

From The