Threads in Forum : General Vista Help and Support Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Enable UPNP...please help me by Robert W
I have been searching in vane, I can't seem to find out how to actiate UPNP in Vista. There is no additional Networking Components to install as in Windows XP and by having this enabled I should see a network icon for Internet Connection that should report my internet connection speed through my Netgear DG834G as occurs in XP. Vista help suggests enabling UPNP Framework in Windows FIrewall...
January 20th 09 12:25 PM
by ChopSticks900 Go to last post
5 379
Java Update triggering for admin pronpt by Justin
on my mother's laptop, the Java update will come up and it asks for the admin login to run. Once given, it tries to run but can't. I get a message saying failed to download installation files. The only time it works is when I actually login under then admin, fire up Java and then run the update. http://www.imagebam.com/image/73067d24056652 My question is, how can I stop this admin prompt...
January 20th 09 11:43 AM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
4 353
going back and forth between wired/wireless in Vista by Korillian
Hi! I am new to the forums and to Vista. I just purchased a Gateway laptop that came with Vista Home Premium 64 bit. On my old laptop (and indeed, on every laptop I've owned), if I wanted to switch from wireless to wired I just turned off the wireless card and plugged in the wire. The laptop recognized the switch, no problem. However, on my new laptop, it claims that there is a problem...
January 20th 09 11:22 AM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
2 418
Make XP install work on Vista? by [email protected]
I have a software package that installs and works fine under XP but the install fails under Vista. Is there a way to make this install script work?
January 20th 09 11:21 AM
by CBoom Go to last post
1 295
Vista Incompatibilities? by Ross M. Greenberg
This is a rather odd request: for a report I'm working on I need to find programs that are incompatible with Vista. It used to be the case all over, now I can't find anything that is incompatible! Anything striking? Ross
January 20th 09 10:53 AM
by Ross M. Greenberg Go to last post
2 330
I have a laptop with vista and I use firefox by dave bullar
I have a laptop as in subject and do not have good eyesight. I am frustrated that so much of the height of the screen is taken by rows of stuff Google toolbar etc etc. The characters could be bigger if this could be in a side-bar (it is a 'widescreen format') Any suggestions about this please. (Apat from get better glasses !). --
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 20th 09 09:45 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
10 600
Windows Event Log Service will not run Error 4201 by normviv73
When I try to start this Service which is set to 'automatic' I get: "Windows could not start the Windows Event Log service on Local Computer. Error 4201: The instance name passed was not recognized as valid by a WMI data provider." There is a dependency for Messenger Sharing Folders USN Journal Reader service but that would not start either:
January 20th 09 08:21 AM
by hcervantes[_2_] Go to last post
2 310
Administrator by Zygy
My Spybot on this mornings' scan found two Trojan C Entries on the Registry Keys and to remove it I am requested to run the scan again as an Administrator and remove it then. I am the only person who uses this PC, so how do I go about scanning it as an Administrator?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 20th 09 08:14 AM
by Zygy Go to last post
10 428
Which field in password credential provider is dedicated to domain by tomas
Hi, I'm wrapping existing password credential provider and need to know the username, password and domain. Username and password fields are easy to find among other fields in the wrapped credential by their GUIDs - CPFG_LOGON_USERNAME, CPFG_LOGON_PASSWORD. Is there a publicky defined GUID for Domain too? Or how can I correctly find the field in credential for Domain? Thanks, Tomas
January 20th 09 08:11 AM
by tomas Go to last post
0 277
Power Save mode problem by phal
I have a glitch here I cannot figure out. I can be working away on the computer when the power save settings kick in and my screen goes black. I have the power saving set on High Performance and modified the monitor to turn off after one hour. This happens when there is active work going on with the computer. I can be actively gaming and lose the monitor. I have looked at the advanced power...
January 20th 09 05:45 AM
by phal Go to last post
3 279
Process Explorer and "Jobs" by Poutnik[_2_]
Hi, In Process Explorer list on Vista, some processes are marked as "Jobs". What does it mean and what is difference to normal processes ? E.g. if I launch from quick launch bar
January 20th 09 05:40 AM
by Poutnik[_2_] Go to last post
1 332
Alt-Ctrl-Del with Vista Business by ~~Alan~~[_5_]
I have Vista Business and I am NOT connected to a domain, ie, I use the welcome screen. I would like to be able to hide one or some of the accounts on my system but whn I need them to be able to log into them by getting to an Alt-Ctrl-Del the screen. Can this be done and how? In WindowsXP Pro, the user hits Alt-Ctrl-Del twice to get to the screen login screen from the Welcome screen. This...
January 20th 09 02:23 AM
by ~~Alan~~[_5_] Go to last post
4 304
Windows Vista and Netgear by Michelle C
I need help. I've got two computers networked wirelessly through Netgear network adapters using an AT&T 2wire gateway. The computer with Windows XP operates flawlessly. The one with Windows Vista is a PITA. Vista does not "recognize" Netgear. To get it to run the Netgear program, I must right click on the Netgear icon, click Run as Administrator, and click Allow Vista to run the...
January 20th 09 01:51 AM
by Michelle C Go to last post
0 254
Windows Explorer crashes randomly by hedera
I have a Vista Home Premium laptop with SP1 installed. I frequently operate with a Windows Explorer window up, giving me access to my files. Almost every day, I get an error message that "Windows Explorer has stopped working". Then I get a "Windows is trying to find a solution" windows, and after that the whole desktop blanks and renews itself. Fortunately this doesn't usually interrupt...
January 20th 09 01:50 AM
by hedera Go to last post
8 367
The darn delete key and backspace keys won't work by Jerry and Jennifer Wolfenbarger
HELP!!!! This sounds so simple but my delete key and backspace will not work unless I move the cursor manually. Nothing I am used to with XP and it has been this way since day one with the new Laptop and Vista. Please help as this is driving me crazy... Thanks
January 20th 09 01:27 AM
by CBoom Go to last post
3 291
REPOST: Getting AutoPlay icon off the desktop by Walter Donavan
I got no response to my first post. Was the post too wordy? Did nobody know the answer? Impossible. Did everyone think the question was too stupid? (It's not stupid to (*me*.) Anyway, I'd appreciate some help if possible. Thanks.
January 20th 09 12:38 AM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
3 307
Vista Media Centre by computerkiller
Can Vista Media Centre (64 byte) be uninstalled? It is conflicting with my 1250 Hauppauge tv tuner card. (Media Centre plays instead of the Hauppauge software. I can not find any where to put the Hauppauge software as default.)
January 20th 09 12:09 AM
by Tyro[_2_] Go to last post
1 254
New hard drive, shall I bother moving? by Simon[_2_]
Hi, I currently have 2x 120Gb HD (6Y120P0 ATA Device, http://computers.pricegrabber.com/hard-drives/m/636724/) I ve had them for about 2 years and there is nothing wrong with them as far as I can tell. But because they are 2 years old I bough another hard drive as 'backup' as I suspect they are going to start failing soon.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
January 19th 09 11:59 PM
by RalfG[_3_] Go to last post
27 723
Vista Contact folder by Drew
How can I back up the Contact Folder for Windows Mail in Vista? Thanks Drew
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 19th 09 11:47 PM
by Apache -=CW=-[_2_] Go to last post
11 442
Whats happened to ? by dave bullar
I expect I am lazy or ignorant (or both) but having just moved from XP to Vista what has happened to 'edit select all' and 'edit copy' 'edit paste'. A procedure I used a lot. And 'start programs' just gets a mingy list with no obvious way of re-ordering it. I suppose I shall have to read all about how vista works. -- Dave
January 19th 09 11:39 PM
by DanS[_4_] Go to last post

From The