Threads in Forum : General Vista Help and Support Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
removing update notice by Jrz
in my notification area is an icon for update. When I click it, I see that tyere is available an important update for Windows Mail. But I have never used Windows Mail and don't want the update. Can I get that icon out of there? I also cannot now merely click Start/Sleep because the Sleep icon now says it will instead install the update and shut down the computer (so to sleep I have now to do...
January 19th 09 04:06 PM
by Dave[_29_] Go to last post
3 303
logonUI.exe-bad image by jfelker12001
I started getting this message the other night and now I cnanot log on to my computer at all. It keeps coming up wiith a winmm.dll error. I have downloaded and ran the Vista recovery disk from Neosmart but the repairs aren't working. Any ideas? Thanks, Jason --
January 19th 09 03:54 PM
by jfelker12001 Go to last post
0 321
inter partition large file transfer problem by [email protected]
When i try to copy a file 300MB from one location say Local Disk:D to Local Disk:E the computer freezes. So as to tackle the problem i tried to analyze the disk writing characteristic by looking at resource monitor. i have Windows vista OS. during the transfer it transfers certain amount of data then the orange light indicating the harddisk level in the CPU stop to blink ie it remains glowing....
January 19th 09 03:43 PM
by Jim[_49_] Go to last post
1 298
Vista and (wireless?) networking? by MikeB[_2_]
I have a weirdness with my new Vista laptop on my wireless network. I don't know if this is particular to the wireless component or if this might occur on hardwired networks as well. I am unable to test whether this occurs on a wired network as the router is situated upstairs in a bedroom and I don't easily get to that part of the house. Periodically, most often after Vista returns from Sleep...
January 19th 09 03:42 PM
by RalfG[_3_] Go to last post
2 286
I messed up MMC, how to fix? by Mike[_37_]
I'm trying to get the SUA package installed and working on a vista64 ultimate sp1. In the process I have somehow messed up the management console (right click on My Computer, choose manage, and the program fails to start). How do I diagnose this problem and how might I fix it? Mike
January 19th 09 03:29 PM
by Mike[_37_] Go to last post
3 286
Tablet PC by Derek Da Silva[_2_]
Hello Everyone, The other day Vista would not resume properly to the logon screen on my laptop. I mashed a couple of keys in frustration and now I see the following message on my logon screen: "Press CTRL ALT Delete to log on or press the windows start button on your tablet PC" The touchpad on my laptop no longer works and when I log on I see a pen on
January 19th 09 03:02 PM
by Derek Da Silva[_2_] Go to last post
0 293
Hiding accounts on the Welcome screen by Alan Shepro
How can I create a user in Vista Business, but hide it on the Welcome screen? ~alan
January 19th 09 02:16 PM
by Synapse Syndrome[_2_] Go to last post
3 303
Security Center doesn't start by miskinsincap
A few days ago, I had a warning that Security Center wasn't running. I did a full system scan and found out that the computer was infested with a trojan attack. After hours of frustration and several hijackthis logs, I finally managed to clean the computer (I'm %99 sure it is clean). But Security Center still doesn't start automatically. Each time, I have to start it by right clicking in the...
January 19th 09 02:10 PM
by Dave-UK[_2_] Go to last post
2 257
I deleted the recycle bin by Zessler
I deleted the recycle bin from the desktop on Vista ultimate, is there a way to get it back? thank you
January 19th 09 02:07 PM
by Rea's[_2_] Go to last post
3 270
What do "Windows Update" and "system restore" have in common? by KoKo
Problem: Below problems happen together after an update from windows update. So far i have not found out which. Reinstalling vista and both work again. Letting windows update do the patches and both don't work anymore. Problem 1 is Windows Update: it runs forever with a tranparent screen and can only be stopped using the task manager. Problem 2 is System Restore, which is able to create...
January 19th 09 02:01 PM
by KoKo Go to last post
0 226
turn off prompts for updates by KRK
Hello I keep getting prompts from Apple to download & install their latest updates, which I dont want. Where do the prompts come from & how do I turn them off please ? Thanks KK
January 19th 09 12:09 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
3 257
log of sleep times by Jrz
does Vista keep track of the last time that I put it to sleep and woke it up, etc?
January 19th 09 11:59 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
1 249
Registry Search Tool... Cleaning Up Vista Registry... by Susan[_7_]
All for Vista 64-bit Ultimate: 1.) I've had a third falling out over 25 or so years with Symantec/Norton and am looking for a Registry search tool where you can search for a particular 'word' much as you do now but where it will list all the finds, review ones you want to delete, uncheck ones you want to keep and finally make it so (delete them). Doing this one at at time is such a waste...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 19th 09 10:58 AM
by Susan[_7_] Go to last post
13 440
Vista Enterprise -- Cannot access MUI MLIP Simplified Chinese by Bradden
Hello I have Vista Enterprise and have done a fresh install. Windows update, download all the updates. English. It should (according to MSFT Help) offer me a load of Language Interface Packs, including Simplified Chinese. It does not. Anybody have any tips on how to get access to the language packs?
January 19th 09 08:48 AM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
2 301
Vista not installing on newly formated disk by chriski
Please help, I think I have dug myself into a big hole. There were bad virus issues I could not get on top with (CA Security Suite did not do its job) and I decided to re-format the HDD. Vista seemed to install fine "Copying Windows files" "Expanding files" "Installing features" "Installing updates" till the last step "Completing installation" - where it needed to reboot.
January 19th 09 07:36 AM
by Dusko Savatovic[_3_] Go to last post
5 312
Recovering Lost Files Solution by fly-to-sky[_2_]
Recovering Lost Files Solution When you experience a crash of your hard disk where a formatting of windows was not anticipated. Windows allows you sometimes to recover files and folders with the tools system restore. Moreover in most apparent times, it is not useful that you will recover all your files. In certain cases, you cannot afford and accept to rely on almost. In this page, we will refer...
January 19th 09 06:00 AM
by fly-to-sky[_2_] Go to last post
0 268
Deleting Files by BruceLee
Hi, I am running Windows Vista 64 bit and recently, whenever I delete a file, it gets deleted, but the recycling window pops up and never closes (have tried leaving it for a few hours). The files are deleted, since they are in the recycle bin, and if i manually kill the recycling window through task manager everything is ok. Any ideas why this is happening, and how I can stop it?
January 19th 09 05:11 AM
by Gary Brandenburg Go to last post
3 342
shortcut differences - Vista v. XP by gigster99
When making a shortcut in XP, the shortcut name was the original file name. But in Vista, the label 'short cut' (filename - Shortcut) is added to the shortcut file name. How do I turn off the addition of '- Shortcut' to a shortcut?
January 19th 09 05:05 AM
by Gary Brandenburg Go to last post
6 276
Alt+Tab 3D Effects Dissapered by Shane Smith
OMG the Alt+Tab 3D Effects have Dissapered its just the plain old alt tab what wrong......???
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 19th 09 03:45 AM
by elnonio Go to last post
11 403
Windows Backup by Mr. Jon Pope
Why does this program do a complete backup of the hard drive
January 19th 09 03:25 AM
by Simon[_2_] Go to last post

From The